New Labour Leadership

longbailey. It's her mouth. It is like the mouth of a badly drawn cartoon character. Evil lurks in that mouth
Can it take a full ball gag, though?

Enquiring minds need to know.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It is almost as if Starmer has been deliberately put in place to destroy the Labour Party...
I don't believe it's deliberate, he's just a personality deficient drone. I detest Neil Kinnock, but that's the sort of passionate man needed to wrest Labour from the hard left, not a knighted lawyer who speaks as if quoting a balance sheet.

don't believe it's deliberate, he's just a personality deficient drone. I detest Neil Kinnock, but that's the sort of passionate man needed to wrest Labour from the hard left, not a knighted lawyer who speaks as if quoting a balance sheet.
I too do not hold Kinnock in high esteem ... I hope he is still fighting to reform the House of Lords from within ... progress does seem slow ... however he was a good orator sometimes with fire in his belly ... a taster from his 1985 Labour Party Conference Speech ...

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, and you go through the years sticking to that, outdated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council – a Labour council – hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers.

.... full speech ...

.... the " Hard Left " never really went away after this 1985 speech they were merely started playing the long game to achieve their goals .

I now think that whoever takes leadership of the Labour Party it will be like them taking the " Poisoned Chalice " ... unless the Labour Party radically changes its publicly perceived image in what were once their heartlands it is doomed .

Last edited:

Mr_Baiter

War Hero
I too do not hold Kinnock in high esteem ... I hope he is still fighting to reform the House of Lords from within ... progress does seem slow ... however he was a good orator sometimes with fire in his belly ... a taster from his 1985 Labour Party Conference Speech ...

.... full speech ...

.... the " Hard Left " never really went away after this 1985 speech they were merely started playing the long game to achieve their goals .

I now think that whoever takes leadership of the Labour Party it will be like them taking the " Poisoned Chalice " ... unless the Labour Party radically changes its publicly perceived image in what were once their heartlands it is doomed .
I had completely forgotten how powerful that speech was.

If Labour could move away from the dogma and start to espouse the life chances he spoke about they would be a viable opposition again.

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
Tom Harris wrote in The Telegraph the other day that Labour was created for the working classes to focus on their political needs, but has morphed somewhat since then.

If Labour could get back to that mindset they might stand a chance, but the constant lecturing means people end up lying to pollsters about their voting intentions.

The trouble is there is no nuance nowadays - twitter does not allow for a reasoned debate, it inevitably descends into mudslinging and hysteria.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I heard the unpleasant Colonel Lady Nugee gobbibg off on the radio. She was attacking the government policy with regard to the 21st of June. Apparently Labour policy would be to give people certainty and follow the science.

She seems unable to grasp that the science is contradictory, it changes as circumstances change and is only one factor albeit one of the most important factors.

Part of the uncertainty she complains of is because idiots like her deliberately muddy the waters for a short term political gain.

I heard the unpleasant Colonel Lady Nugee gobbibg off on the radio. She was attacking the government policy with regard to the 21st of June. Apparently Labour policy would be to give people certainty and follow the science.

She seems unable to grasp that the science is contradictory, it changes as circumstances change and is only one factor albeit one of the most important factors.

Part of the uncertainty she complains of is because idiots like her deliberately muddy the waters for a short term political gain.
They must have upped her Meds and let her out of the Hippo enclosure she inhabits, as she’s been all over the media today. I saw the smug, fat cow on Andrew Marr this morning - live from Cornwall. Haven’t the Cornish suffered enough this week?

Those are going to be some big waters that she is muddying...

In ‘Comments’ to an article about Starmer in MoL, he is described as a man who’s ‘head buttons up the back’.
Never heard it before, but it’s a delightful image and I’m looking forward to a suitable occasion to use it.
A quick search reveals it is Glaswegian in origin.

In ‘Comments’ to an article about Starmer in MoL, he is described as a man who’s ‘head buttons up the back’.
Never heard it before, but it’s a delightful image and I’m looking forward to a suitable occasion to use it.
A quick search reveals it is Glaswegian in origin.

@Border_Reiver Unable to reply to your post ‘Not Found’.
Do you mean ‘16 June’ being important to the Labour Party as the 5th anniversary of the death of Jo Cox? As we were reminded by the Beeb this morning in the heading for ‘Thought for the Day’ on the ‘Today’ programme . (TBF, the martyrdom of a Sikh was also mentioned after Cox.)
It’s not as if there isn’t a bye-election coming up in 2 weeks time in which her sister is standing.

Latest Threads