New Jonathan Meades

I recently bought The Jonathan Meades Collection DVD being (obviously) a bit of a fan. Anyway this caused me to google something about one of the films and it transpires that he has two brand-new, hour-long programmes on BBC4 next month. I'm sure this fellow must be popular with a few ARRSErs so though I'd post this by way of a heads-up and also to ask to return the complement as I'm bound to have forgotten by then.

http://jonathanmeades.co.uk/television.html

I like Meades, but I get him confused with that geezer in the shades who pitches up at random cathederals and starts ripping into Bach et al on the church ivories. Cool as **** he is.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
that bbc2 prog 'one foot in the past' or something like that was one of my favourite programs even with kirsty wark in it.

Meades does great tellie. Books are very readable as well.

Any one remember the name of the bloke Buck referred to? That will bug me now until I find out.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
trying to be a gwar roy orbison. at least I always think of him as a redhead of the bullied stepchild variety, not a lot of it left to check though. he reminds me of a robert redford after he's had his face ironed.

I like Meades, but I get him confused with that geezer in the shades who pitches up at random cathederals and starts ripping into Bach et al on the church ivories. Cool as **** he is.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I've been racking my brains to think who you mean but every time I think 'cool as ****' and 'ripping into Bach', I can't get any further than that fallshirmjager bloke out of The Eagle Has Landed.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Any one remember the name of the bloke Buck referred to? That will bug me now until I find out.
Wasn't Victor Lewis-Smith was it?

PS Music graduate; "Lewis-Smith is executive producer of a series of more than 60 TV programmes called 21st Century Bach - The Complete Organ Works.", so possible.

Last edited:
Cheers for that, just set the recorder.

...and it's one of the many pieces he's done which make him a National Treasure, like.
I disagree with his contention that radio and TV haven't blended regional accents, though. I never had one, as far as I know, but my schools, and the Army, which used to bring people from around the world, let alone the country, certainly did. It was also very true that most of those I had dealings with in the 70s were prouder of their local accents than Meades gives credit for; in Northern Ireland, for instance, a careful ear could tell you to within five miles of where the speaker originated, and they were all fairly fierce about it. In Corps Basic Training in 1970, a Dorset lad and a Glaswegian would hardly be able to exchange any information whatsoever in week one, but by the time of the pass-out parade, they would be greatest pals.

The essay (he does essays) was about much more than that, mostly summed up as 'bullshit'; not his, but of those manipulators who use their public positions to control the masses. The programme will be systematically ridiculed and condemned for -ism in the Guardian tomorrow. Stand on me.

They could do with more like Meades nowadays. The default position amongst the fifteen year olds now is just to follow the zeitgeist unquestioningly. Even more pathetic are their trendy ponytailed elders trying to ingratiate themselves wiv da yoof.

...and it's one of the many pieces he's done which make him a National Treasure, like.
I disagree with his contention that radio and TV haven't blended regional accents, though. I never had one, as far as I know, but my schools, and the Army, which used to bring people from around the world, let alone the country, certainly did. It was also very true that most of those I had dealings with in the 70s were prouder of their local accents than Meades gives credit for; in Northern Ireland, for instance, a careful ear could tell you to within five miles of where the speaker originated, and they were all fairly fierce about it. In Corps Basic Training in 1970, a Dorset lad and a Glaswegian would hardly be able to exchange any information whatsoever in week one, but by the time of the pass-out parade, they would be greatest pals.

The essay (he does essays) was about much more than that, mostly summed up as 'bullshit'; not his, but of those manipulators who use their public positions to control the masses. The programme will be systematically ridiculed and condemned for -ism in the Guardian tomorrow. Stand on me.
I’m sure that the Guardian would applaud his excoriating appraisal of sundry Tories (and the “Trump lout” of course), but will cry foul when the criticism swings in the direction of their cause Célèbres.