new job, less than 10 days notice

Gamer 69

Clanker
I have been on FTCs for the last 4 years. It's been a rough road. I've hard to work my ass off, but my technical skills have come on leaps and bounds.

For 18 months I have had an agency gig, 2 back to back FTCs with an NHS organisation.

I work for a Deputy Director, although there is now a manager inbetween us.

He has promised me a permanent job 'be sorted out in a couple of weeks'. This has gone on for 6 months, I now have 2 months left before being laid off.

I interviewed and was offered an job. NHS manager is aware and tried to tell me he knew the senior management there and had called me 'a wan ker'. He got a number of facts wrong, to which I called him a bullsh!ter.

The new job now want me to start in less than 2 weeks. They have been clear about the start date, but there have been delays for security clearance etc. I want to go. It would be easier to stay in the NHS, but I just don't trust him.

People are semi aware of the situation. A senior manager and 2 senior members of staff have approached me to say 'just leave, we like you, but you can't trust him, don't put your families future in his hands'. One has confessed that he is reluctantly putting in a formal grievance against him, with words to the effect 'I like him, but I don't trust him'.

One of the team, has also told me, he doesn't really like anyone. He just likes you (me), because he is underpaying you for the job you are doing. If he finds someone better qualified he will drop you.

On a staff night out, he tried to take the p!ss out of me, I told him to shut up. He made one of the girls cry (she is having marital problems and is recently bereaved) although he did apologise for this later (when he realised HR might be involved).

When I told my direct manager, she was relatively supportive but after speaking to him, has now told me I cannot leave as I have to give formal notice. His peer has told me that he has not had my post approved to be permanent, will likely make it an external vacancy and it will take at least 2 months to approve.

The unconditional offer is going in the post tomorrow. The start date is not moveable, they have been clear about this.

I hate breaking a contract, but it seems the only thing I can do. He has threatened to sue me, but it's an empty threat. I feel the relationship has broken down to such a degree, there is no chance a job will be open. My direct manager deliberately left a structure in front of me today, with my job (and name) at a higher pay band, but I feel like she is playing tricks on me.

Last edited:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Jesus Christ are people like this in charge of the MOD, God Help us, bring back Earl Haig!

ugly

LE
I have been on FTCs for the last 4 years. It's been a rough road. I've hard to work my ass off, but my technical skills have come on leaps and bounds.

For 18 months I have had an agency gig, 2 back to back FTCs with an NHS organisation.

I work for a Deputy Director, although there is now a manager inbeween us.

He has promised me a permanent job 'be sorted out in a couple of weeks'. This has gone on for 6 months, I now have 2 months left before being laid off.

I interviewed and was offered an MOD job. He is aware and tried to tell me he knew the senior management there and had called me 'a wan ker'. He got a number of facts wrong, to which I called him a bullsh!ter.

The MOD now want me to start in less than 2 weeks. I want to go. It would be easier to stay, but I just don't trust him.

People are semi aware of the situation. A senior manager and 2 senior members of staff have approached me to say 'just leave, we like you, but you can't trust him, don't put your families future in his hands'. One has confessed that he is reluctantly putting in a formal grievance against him, with words to the effect 'I like him, but I don't trust him'.

One of the team, has also told me, he doesn't really like anyone. He just likes you (me), because he is underpaying you for the job you are doing. If he finds someone better qualified he will drop you.

On a staff night out, he tried to take the p!ss out of me, I told him to shut up. He made one of the girls cry (she is having marital problems and is recently bereaved) although he did apologise for this later (when he realised HR might be involved).

When I told my direct manager, she was relatively supportive but after speaking to him, has now told me I cannot leave as I have to give formal notice. His peer has told me that he has not had my post approved to be permanent, will likely make it an external vacancy and it will take at least 2 months to approve.

The MOD unconditional offer is going in the post tomorrow. The start date is not moveable, they have been clear about this.

I hate breaking a contract, but it seems the only thing I can do. He has threatened to sue me, but it's an empty threat. I feel the relationship has broken down to such a degree, there is no chance a job will be open. My direct manager deliberately left a structure in front of me today, with my job (and name) at a higher pay band, but I feel like she is playing tricks on me.
Most temp contracts have a zero notice to seven days clause

Tell him you’re leaving, if he doesn’t like it just explain quietly to him that you have enough to end his entire career and ruin him forever, and that it would be best all round if he signed you off with a glowing reference

OneTenner

Old-Salt

I interviewed and was offered an MOD job. He is aware and tried to tell me he knew the senior management there and had called me 'a wan ker'. He got a number of facts wrong, to which I called him a bullsh!ter.

The MOD now want me to start in less than 2 weeks. I want to go. It would be easier to stay, but I just don't trust him.

The MOD unconditional offer is going in the post tomorrow. The start date is not moveable, they have been clear about this.

Leave, yes you could be considered to be in breach of contract but the above reads like you are being 'driven out' / bullied - a case for constructive dismissal if they take it further, which I doubt they would do - the level of churn within NHS trusts means a) they're too busy to chase you and b) they're used to people leaving because of issues they should really deal with but CBA to sort out because they're too busy filling vacant posts to create another one.
As mentioned above, good luck in the new job, make sure your resignation is sent to several people who need to know and state factually why you feel unable to give the required notice period (new challenges, time limited offer, issues with current management structure, likelyhood of workplace recriminations etc.) - remember that you issue a resignation, they do not have to 'accept' it for it to be valid.

ETA - these days a reference can only be a statement that you worked somewhere in a certain capacity for a certain period of time, usually issued by HR, line manager opinions are no longer allowed in a reference due to the possibility of them being biased and the resulting legal claims from either the new employer or previous employee depending on the -/+ivity of the bias.

Gamer 69

Clanker
Leave, yes you could be considered to be in breach of contract but the above reads like you are being 'driven out' / bullied - a case for constructive dismissal if they take it further, which I doubt they would do - the level of churn within NHS trusts means a) they're too busy to chase you and b) they're used to people leaving because of issues they should really deal with but CBA to sort out because they're too busy filling vacant posts to create another one.
As mentioned above, good luck in the new job, make sure your resignation is sent to several people who need to know and state factually why you feel unable to give the required notice period (new challenges, time limited offer, issues with current management structure, likelyhood of workplace recriminations etc.) - remember that you issue a resignation, they do not have to 'accept' it for it to be valid.
Yeah, they won't go through with it. To be honest I've had to save him from the Board a couple of times. The last thing they will want to do is risk negative publicity by issuing a law suit.

But, yeah, I'll e-mail my manager and copy him (and his boss) into the e-mail, although I will leave out the recrimination bit.

anglo

LE

I interviewed and was offered an MOD job. NHS manager is aware and tried to tell me he knew the senior management there and had called me 'a wan ker'. He got a number of facts wrong, to which I called him a bullsh!ter.

The MOD now want me to start in less than 2 weeks. I want to go. It would be easier to stay in the NHS, but I just don't trust him.

Question, Am I happy? {with the situation}
Answer, No
Solution, Leave

OneTenner

Old-Salt
Yeah, they won't go through with it. To be honest I've had to save him from the Board a couple of times. The last thing they will want to do is risk negative publicity by issuing a law suit.

But, yeah, I'll e-mail my manager and copy him (and his boss) into the e-mail, although I will leave out the recrimination bit.
Make sure it also goes to someone in HR in case they 'forget' to start the leaving process - also, if you have any logins, swipe cards, priveledged info etc., make sure you provide these to someone in IT or security on your last day and ensure that they lock you out or change the passwords themselves so you cannot access the systems, information or buildings without a visitor pass and one-time login - worst case, just keep putting in the wrong password until the account is locked and video yourself shredding you access cards on your last day.

Threaten constructive dismissal with the employment tribunal naming him as the cause of unreasonable working environment and conditions.

It never used to cost anything to fill out the paperwork for employment tribunals (effectively putting the dodgy employer on warning and causing many of them to wind their necks in) worth checking if that is still the case. If you fill the paperwork out and submit it you are not obliged to carry it through.

FTC v permanent? Permanent wins for me purely for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

OneTenner

Old-Salt
FTC v permanent? Permanent wins for me purely for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Depends on age though, twenty thirty years ago I mainly did contract work, anything from 3 months to two years, some got extended, some didn't, rarely more than a couple of weeks before anything came along, as I got older and had more responsibilities, the number of zeroes on the bank statement was less important than the stability and longevity of employment. If i'd been offered a permanent position similar to the one i'm in now thirty years ago, no way would I have wanted to be 'pinned down' into something so fixed and stable.

Gamer 69

Clanker
What a ******* day

I had a full on rant today when my manager asked me what was going on. I told her I didn't trust him. Told her I was going for the safe option. She then said they could take the remaining days owed from my notice against my pay. Ie - I give 1 weeks notice, as opposed to 2 months, so they 'fine' me 7 weeks pay. I asked her how I could trust them when they come up with such stupid unenforcable threats . I told her I was waiting for my unconditional offer in the post.

To be fair, she then realised I was serious, and then she disappeared for 2 hours. Apparently it's created chaos. Board Member of the Department, Deputy Director and all senior managers in the team congregated. Resulted in 'my' Director going off to speak to a completely different Board Member to do some sort of deal. She complained there was no money left (worrying in itself), but my manager has dug her heels in saying she needs the post.

My manager has now stated an advert will go out on Tuesday internally, but I can only apply for it if I haven't resigned. Job stays open for 5 days. I asked her why this couldn't have been done 2 weeks ago. She didn't even commit that I would get the job, but I would be the top contender. People I trust have told me this is what happens when they want to keep people. Otherwise they would be embarrassed by keeping me hanging around for 2 weeks, what are they going to do appoint someone else when I am still in the job?

The whole day has been a continuous pain in the ass. I don;t know if she's fighting for the post, for me. I don;t whether to be flattered or to keep running for the trees.

I need to tell her if I am resigning on Monday.

I work for a Deputy Director, although there is now a manager inbetween us.

I interviewed and was offered an job. NHS manager is aware and tried to tell me he knew the senior management there and had called me 'a wan ker'. He got a number of facts wrong, to which I called him a bullsh!ter.

The new job now want me to start in less than 2 weeks. They have been clear about the start date, but there have been delays for security clearance etc. I want to go. It would be easier to stay in the NHS, but I just don't trust him.

The unconditional offer is going in the post tomorrow. The start date is not moveable, they have been clear about this.

Say all again after....I have been on FTCs for the last 4 years.

Jump if you want. By the way, do not trust any boss in the MOD either.
Better the devil you know?

Latest Threads