New Jamaican PM Pledges to quit the Commonwealth

Jamaica's banana plantations all seemed to be propped up by EU money last time I was there, couldn't figure that one out. The roads were a laugh, I'm sure the locals thought the new white lines down the middle of them meant they didn't need to use lights at night just straddle the lines.

We left Jamaica a pretty sound place back in the 60's, working modern rail system etc. They've fcuked it up not us.

I assume they would like us to pay off their £12bn debt prior to cutting the apron strings?

PS Is it just me that sees their new PM as a Glenda Jackson lookalike?

Jamaica's banana plantations all seemed to be propped up by EU money last time I was there, couldn't figure that one out. The roads were a laugh, I'm sure the locals thought the new white lines down the middle of them meant they didn't need to use lights at night just straddle the lines.

We left Jamaica a pretty sound place back in the 60's, working modern rail system etc. They've fcuked it up not us.
From the above article.
Her People's National party has said it will try to renegotiate roughly 25% of a troubled $400m road programme financed by China in order to transfer some of the money to the employment programme

tumblr_lw7qpuR5rA1r8rbaao1_400.jpg

Unless that means we can deport all the Yardies back to their homeland, allow me to take this moment to not care.:roll:

Well at least we may have a chance of winning a sprint medal in the Commonwealth Games in the future then.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Presumably this means Jamaica is off the route for the Royals' Jubilee tours.

No doubt we borrow another £xm to give them as a parting present.

Edited to add a Jamaican reminiscence of the family (my grandfather was seconded to the WIR) coming back one day in the 1920s to find the gardener's lad tied to a tree with my father, age 6 or so, whitewashing him. Asked what was going on my father said he had asked the gardener's boy if he would like to be a white man.

The article quotes the Jamaican PM as saying she wants rid of HM as head of state, she hasn't said anything about pulling out of the Commonwealth.
There are Republic's within the Commonwealth and having HM as head of state is by no means a criteria for Commonwealth membership.
Jamaica has nothing to gain by pulling out of the Commonwealth and personally I'd rather not have our Queen associated with the toilet that Jamaica has become.

I watched a documentary (last year perhaps?) that retraced HM's first royal global tour to places as diverse as Tonga & Jamaica.

Interestingly many elder Jamaicans interviewed for it, citing the violent shit hole that their country had become, advocated a return of power to the UK. It was even heavily discussed on local radio stations etc.

Thought the topic was going to be new Jamaican PM pledges to quit the ganja

I watched a documentary (last year perhaps?) that retraced HM's first royal global tour to places as diverse as Tonga & Jamaica.

Interestingly many elder Jamaicans interviewed for it, citing the violent shit hole that their country had become, advocated a return of power to the UK. It was even heavily discussed on local radio stations etc.
I read a book last year called 'The Dead Yard' , basically a collecton of interviews with Jamacians of all ages, some whom had left JA, lived in the UK for years, saved their money and returned home aka 'Back a yard'.

They pretty much said the same, mind you, probabaly a lot of elderly residents of this country if asked, would share a simlar view re the UK.

Mozambique are a member of the Commonwealth and they were a Portuguese colony.