New Issue Windproof Smocks

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Baldrick_dogsbody, Oct 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm on a training course with the Air Training Corps, and for it we've all been issued the new pattern windproof smocks with wire hoods.
    Our big question is, What on Earth is the little pocket on the left arm designed for?! it's much too small for a field dressing, can anyone here help? I thought that the Infantry would be the best people to ask.

2. We're wondering too...found a lighter/zippo goes in nicely though.

Patch

3. I got one issued, but can't remember noticing the little pocket. Perhaps UGL round, I've no idea.

I don't see the point in having the wire though, my squadron made a slit in the corner of the hood and yanked them out with leathermans. More comfortable.

4. GPS locator thingies - doubt I'll ever get one issued.

5. The little pocket is for a "RECCO Reflector (Avalanche detector)", remember it's an Arctic smock! One goes in the smock pocket, the other goes in the opposite side trouser pocket, so you have full coverage. Hope this helps.

6. Morphine?

7. Mocking birds you mean?

8. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Far too small for UGL round.

Baldrick, no idea what it is intended for, but it's a useful place to keep your multitool close at hand. Not a new design either, sure I've seen similar arm pockets on some older issue smocks & para smocks.

PS Blobmeister, it's really an arctic smock? Seems to be a lot less warm than ripstock & older types.

9. The RECCO Rescue System consists of two parts:

The RECCO REFLECTOR is carried by the Soldier. It is sewn into Arctic clothing (trouser pocket lid) and placed into smock pocket (left and right side).

The RECCO DETECTOR sends out a radar signal which is reflected by the reflector, making an exact location of the victim possible.

Attached Files:

10. The RECCO Rescue System consists of two parts:

The RECCO REFLECTOR is carried by the Soldier. It is sewn into Arctic clothing (trouser pocket lid) and placed into smock pocket (left and right side).

The RECCO DETECTOR sends out a radar signal which is reflected by the reflector, making an exact location of the victim possible.

Attached Files:

11. Two parts?

Just like your post blobmeister!!!!! :p

I was always told it was for a locater thingy of some sort, and I buy in to the above BUT.....

Why to the Desert ones have them too?

12. They just copied the green version and didn't think to remove it.

Why did some of the first desert combats have eppaulettes on the shoulders in addition to the chest?

Now that's fücked up...

13. Chocolate Frog...more Chocolate Cat, Meeeeoooooow!, retract those claws and have a saucer of milk!

14. Cant even get a pen in it but my fave torch fits:

[​IMG]

15. In case you fall in a DTL