New issue thermal fleece / Buffalo style smock... How worn?

Next to skin? Mid layer? ( looks favourite, but its very baggy(

TIA

BB

As a mid layer

X59

LE
Can't comment on the issue spec, but pukka buffalo is worn as a base layer for best effect.

I have a Buffalo and its pretty good ( if ancient. ) I recently bought a Montane partly because it isn't a Buffalo and partly because it looks more robust, its cheaper and I like some of the design features.

The issue one at least has the right price...

2/51

LE
It's worn over the t-shirt and under the windproof smock.

The fleece lining makes it almost impossible to wear with anything with long sleeves as it "grips" like velcro and you end up with the lining up round your shoulders.

Stick with your Montane, the issue one is no where near the same quality...although much improved on the issue green fleece of the 90's.

X59

LE
It's worn over the t-shirt and under the windproof smock.

The fleece lining makes it almost impossible to wear with anything with long sleeves as it "grips" like velcro and you end up with the lining up round your shoulders.

Stick with your Montane, the issue one is no where near the same quality...although much improved on the issue green fleece of the 90's.

In addition to the buffalo gripping a base layer like velcro, it massively reduces the thermal qualities.

There's some online shit that explains why buffalo is best worn as a base layer, and without waterproofs in wet weather.

Odd concept, but it does work.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
In addition to the buffalo gripping a base layer like velcro, it massively reduces the thermal qualities.

There's some online shit that explains why buffalo is best worn as a base layer, and without waterproofs in wet weather.

Capillary action and evaporation. The fleece pulls the sweat to the surface and it evaporates on the Pertex outer. The evaporation keeps the rain off as it forms a moisture shield.

Last edited:
This is why I love ARRSE

which sounds considerably gayer than intended..

Stick with the buffalo on skin

got two montanes which are good but just don't function like the buffalo. I wear the montanes as a mid layer

Buffalo have it spot on IMHO but it can feel somewhat counter-intuitive to wear them next to skin....but it works

if you want some mind bending field temperature regulation try this on for size :)

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/vapor-barrier-liners-theory-application/

possible not much of military application but interesting crazy shit

2/51

LE

The stuff in the PCS smock as mentioned in the first post is similer to Buffalo's teclite fleece. I am sure its a cheaper version though. Its Buffalo's least insulated product (Teclite shirt).

When you think about why the PCS version was brought in, it was meant to be a windproof smock that you could throw on in periods of low activity, and remove again when on the move (or so I read in Soldier or Mascot magazine). I believe this is why it is cut on the "large" size. For this, it fails miserably as you cannot throw it on over anything other than a t-shirt or bare skin due to its velcro like property. Snugpak or Montanes are far better for this use, or, as I have, a Paramo gillet that can be put on even over waterproofs to keep you warm.

2/51

LE
if you want some mind bending field temperature regulation try this on for size :)

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/vapor-barrier-liners-theory-application/

possible not much of military application but interesting crazy shit
The man has spent too long alone in the snow ;) Based on his theroy, the standard walking apparal from the 70's/80's would outperform modern materials. Anyone that has worn the issue NI patrol jacket on a cold winters day will remember how wet you got on the inside, same with the issue DPM crisp packets. I much prefer the pump action of Paramo whose products are now becoming main stream issue for MRT and the likes due to there high performance.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The technology from the 20s, on the other hand...

When they found George Mallory's body on Everest a few years ago, it dispelled the myth that many of the climbers of the day were just putting an extra sweater on and hoping for the best. Mallory was wearing a modified Norfolk jacket to give the necessary arm articulation and alternating layers of silk and merino wool - warm but also 'slippery' enough to allow good movement.

A subsequent expedition tried what Mallory was wearing against modern gear and it was better.

Synthetics are fine but stink after a while. My Buffalo shirt is on the cusp of being socially acceptable after years of use (in fact, I suspect it isn't...). The newer ones have merino in them rather than synthetic pile. It's noticeable, in fact, the resurgence in recent years of merino as a base layer choice.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
It was itchy!

unif-bd-jac.jpg

:wink:

The man has spent too long alone in the snow ;) Based on his theroy, the standard walking apparal from the 70's/80's would outperform modern materials. Anyone that has worn the issue NI patrol jacket on a cold winters day will remember how wet you got on the inside, same with the issue DPM crisp packets. I much prefer the pump action of Paramo whose products are now becoming main stream issue for MRT and the likes due to there high performance.

there is a wee bit more to it than that :) but safe to say the drills are probably beyond your average infanteers level of concentration/interest

2/51

LE
It's noticeable, in fact, the resurgence in recent years of merino as a base layer choice.

Yip, swear by the stuff when out fishing (highlands winter piking) or hillwalking. Love the Icebreaker stuff, not cheap but extremely good. Wish they did a few more "normal" colours though as everything seems to be bright and in your face.

How does the new issue softie compare to the issue bivvy jacket?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Synthetics are fine but stink after a while. My Buffalo shirt is on the cusp of being socially acceptable after years of use (in fact, I suspect it isn't...).

Then wash it you fez.

Latest Threads