New Iraq documentary film

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stoppage, Jun 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but it looks like another "unbiased" documentary film from Iraq, put together from film shot by the US Nat Gd soldiers. How can soldiers filming themselves be as effective as an embedded cameraman? Surely when anything interesting is going on they have more important stuff to attend to?

Sounds worth seeing though...
  2. I'll watch it...
  3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

seen the trailer, does look ok. Will prob see it when i can
  4. I see your point, but sometimes they actually do get such things on film. They see alot of things journalists may never see, or that networks will never air.

I had a lengthy discussion with my buddy Gozar's Lt, who's making his own documentary from the film and photos their platoon got , he's a bit intimidated by The War Tapes, and is a bit critical of the "Award Winning Filmakers" who cut and edited the footage. What'ss interesting is that my friends were at the same base as the guys in this Documentary, except those guys were there in 2004, and my friends were there in 2005 (which makes their documentary almost a sequel). However, I've heard that this one is good, and I've been trying to convince my friends to contact them.

I think it's great that the troops documenting it. With digital memory cards, laptops, internet, and milblogs, deployed troops can document their experiences like no other generation has. Someday, when this is all over, there will be a massive resource of photos, journals, and video. All of it is going to have HUGE historical significance someday, the first hand sights and sounds from those who served.