• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

New infantry titles confirmed

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have yet to see in print that the precedent of Regiments will not change with the disbanding and amalgamation of Regiments. My particular interest being the disbanding and merging or The Royal Scots with the Kings Own Scottish Borderers to for 1 SCOTS.

The table given on the MoD website follows the traditional precendent line - can someone confirm that this is so and 1 SCOTS will still be the 'Right of Line' (In the context of infantry, non-Household Brigade, Regiments).

Auld-Yin said:
I
The table given on the MoD website follows the traditional precendent line - can someone confirm that this is so and 1 SCOTS will still be the 'Right of Line' (In the context of infantry, non-Household Brigade, Regiments).
It would be the final insult to The Royals to do anything else ! Methinks I might accidentally refer to the Bn as 1 ROYAL SCOTS from here on in.

Up the Royals

It would be the final insult to The Royals to do anything else ! Methinks I might accidentally refer to the Bn as 1 ROYAL SCOTS from here on in.

Bet they become known as 'Borderers'!

"Border Lads and wild are we and ill tae keep in order...."

Bravo_Bravo said:
Forward the Rifles....
That is probably about the worst name they could have come up with, Imagine if they merged a few armoured regiments and rebranded them "The Tanks", I would of thought given the geography of the said former regiments something like "The Royal Wessex Rifles" would of been a bit more imaginative! Whats the capbadge going to be?

'The Rifle Brigade' was carefully considered by the Colonels Commandant. It was rejected after a long debate on the grounds that they have had their day and to ressurect it would serve only confuse historians.

I personally think that 'The Rifles' will stand the test of time simply because whatever one thinks of the name now, it will become the collective shorthand for the men who represent it...and I think they won't let us down.

As a man who carries a rifle into battle, I can’t think of a better title. Since the Rifles will recruit from Newcastle to Newquay and all points in between “Wessex” hardly seems appropriate, and since the RGBWLI, LI and RGJ are all “Royal” regiments already (the LI just choose not to have it in their title) the Rifles will undoubtedly enjoy the privileges (whatever the hell they might be) of being “Royal” whether it is in the title or not. So why complicate things? :?

The cap badge is planned to be the universal symbol of light infantry (which all the merging Regiments now are): a bugle horn, stringed, in silver. This symbol has been worn by riflemen since rifles were first issued and the concept of the intelligent soldier, capable of independent action, was first developed (to cries of “that’ll never work, if you let the buggers take their neck-stocks off and run round using fire and movement the whole fabric of the universe as we know it will collapse. Harrumph!”). :roll:

So: Forward the Rifles!

BTW, your picture is of an other-arms version of the rifle, not one a Rifleman would carry. And the Royal Tank Regiment don’t seem any worse for having their primary weapon prominently mentioned in their title :D :D

Latest Threads