• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

New hot weather rations. Possibly.

There's a nice quick response to operating in extreme heat then. :roll:

MoD News

Fifteen new hot weather menus will be trialled in Afghanistan this summer.
So, what do we reckon the actual flash to bang time is likely to be for the new stuff on the ground?

Another 12 months? Longer?

Prace bets now!

you irradiate it Mr Deputy.
Tomatoes can last for 6 months or more if irradiated
or you could dessicate it all,lovely lettuce crisps all round

Z

Zarathustra

We had new rations in Afghan last summer, dunno if they're the same as these but had some new flavours and also had stuff like jam and vegimite in them.

We also trialled warm weather suppliment packs aswell.

Yeah we had warm weather supplements in afghan to, they were pretty good apart from the minging seafood pak thing that was in it, especially minging after a few hours in the midday heat. ALthough the dairyshake mix and most of the other stuff in there was really really good.

PE4rocks said:
There's a nice quick response to operating in extreme heat then. :roll:

MoD News

Fifteen new hot weather menus will be trialled in Afghanistan this summer.
So, what do we reckon the actual flash to bang time is likely to be for the new stuff on the ground?

Another 12 months? Longer?

Prace bets now!
at least 2 years to sort out the contents/menu, another year at least to get into production................

I say the hot weather rations will be standard issue by the time Russia invades Norway.

Well hopefully, we won't go down the US route.

US Army rations - just add urine.

The US military has devised a way to ensure its troops in battle need never go hungry - with dried food that can be rehydrated using dirty water or urine.

The meal comes in a pouch that filters out 99.9% of most toxins, says New Scientist magazine.

The aim is to reduce the amount of water soldiers need to carry.

The firm behind it says soldiers should only use urine as last resort - as the membrane can not filter out urea, which in the long term causes kidney damage.

"The pouch - containing chicken and rice - relies on osmosis to filter the water or urine," the New Scientist Magazine reported.

The liquid passes through a membrane, thin sheets of a cellulose-based plastic with gaps just 0.5 nanometres wide.

It means only clean water can reach the food, and the bacteria is left behind.

'Indestructible sandwich'

The idea has come from the Combat Feeding Directorate, part of the US Army Soldier Systems Center in Natick, Massachusetts.

The organisation is also the brains behind the "indestructible sandwich", which can stay fresh for three years.

A spokeswoman said the dehydrated pouches would reduce the current weight of 3.5kg for a day's food supply of three meals, to 0.4kg.

But Hydration Technology Inc, in Albany, Oregon, which made the membrane, warned it is too coarse to filter out urea so soldiers should only use urine in an absolute emergency.

Engineer Ed Beaudry was quoted by the New Scientist as saying that the body would not find using urine to rehydrate food toxic in the short term, but in the long term it would cause kidney damage.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3915659.stm

Indestructible sandwich

The sandwich itself is a bit smaller and flatter than the commercial "Hot Pockets". As for the taste, my first thought was that they must have come up with a way to re-use the MRE's Wheat Snack Bread because that's what the bread in the sandwich tastes like. The label claims the sandwich contains Italian Sausage and Pepperoni but the contents all look and taste the same - pretty much like a diced Slim Jim. The wheat-snack-bread-like bread along with the Slim Jim'ish meat filling combined to create a rather dry, but edible sandwich

Overall, considering that this is a shelf-stable sandwich that is designed to last for a minimum of two years, it wasn't too bad. It doesn't really compare to a commercial "Hot Pocket", but those things require freezing to store and a microwave oven to eat. So all in all, this is a good step forward for military feeding.

I had one of those sandwiches out of one of the trials hot weather supplement packs whilst sat in a DC in Afghan and it was the nicest thing I had eaten all week, it wasn't dry, it was pretty juicy, it was warm to cause of the heat, all in all it was morale in a packet. I don't understand how it's gonna cut down the amount of water they use, if they didn't use MRE heaters it wuld make no difference, f they adopted our style, where in theory no ater need go to waste, you can cook in it, then brew up, hot scoff and water rehydrating you rather than at the bottom of a heater pack and wasted, although saying that, the water they do se is negligible anyway.

deputy, all that sort of stuff is in the trials ho weather supplement pack, fruit & nut mix, dried fruits, fruit flavoured drinks powders (not screech), those long life sandwiches, some gopping tuna mix thing, singapore style noodles boil in the bag, dairyshake mix, fruit/cereal type thing bars. That is as mch as I can remember at the minute.

Mr_Deputy said:
would you be saying that if you were genuinely hungry?
No, I was only kidding. In reality, if necessary, I'd eat the proverbial scabby donkey. I'm not finnicky, I've had to survive on all sorts of questionable fayre in my time, ration packs are a luxury.

307 said:
I don't understand how it's gonna cut down the amount of water they use, if they didn't use MRE heaters it wuld make no difference, f they adopted our style, where in theory no ater need go to waste, you can cook in it, then brew up, hot scoff and water rehydrating you rather than at the bottom of a heater pack and wasted, although saying that, the water they do se is negligible anyway.
First Strike Rations™ (FSR™)
The FSR™ is a compact, eat-on-the-move assault ration designed for use during initial periods of highly intense, highly mobile combat operations. The FSR™ is substantially reduced in weight and cube and enhances Warfighter consumption, nutritional intake, and mobility.
Why Is It Needed?
The FSR™ is designed to improve tactical mobility and meet the maneuver sustainment needs of the joint Warfighter during highly mobile, high intensity operations.
Technology:
The FSR™ takes advantage of major advancements in food processing, preservation, nutrient delivery, and packaging technologies to include innovative methods in intermediate moisture foods, glucose optimization, and novel packaging materials and configurations.
Key Features / Benefits:
Enhanced mobility…All components of this lightweight ration are familiar, eat-out-of-hand foods that require little or no preparation by the Warfighter. Innovative packaging technologies enable the beverages to be reconstituted and consumed directly from the drink pouch.

Characteristics…The FSR™ has a minimum two year shelf life at 80°F and provides an average of 2900 calories per day. The FSR™ has nine meals per shipping container consisting of three each of three different menus.

Lightweight…When compared to three MREs™, the FSR™ weight and cube of one day’s subsistence is reduced by approximately 50%.

Latest Threads