New Hope for North of England

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Good. The plan to re-educate the neanderthals huddled together in group accomodation for warmth is slowly taking shape.

"Infiltrate, educate, rehabilitate".
  3. Just goes to show, you have to be brain damaged to talk like a shandy swilling, semi French, southern puff
  4. Or that surgery is required to attain levels of intelligence unprecedented north of the Watford Gap?
  5. Yes, but don't gloat about your lobotomy. haveing half your brain removed is the only way anyone would talk like a southen wakner.
  6. Following the decline of Roman rule in the early fifth century AD, the Angles came to the region from the area around the border between Denmark and Germany. The language they spoke evolved into a number of English dialects often grouped together under the term Northumbrian.

One theory why our accent has remained strong and distinctive is that, since the Anglo-Saxons, subsequent invasions left the North East increasingly linguistically isolated.

Another reason is thought to be that Northerners are not bum bandits like your average Southern surrender monkey.
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I hope the lad concerned makes a full recovery, including reverting to speaking properly and not like a southerner.

However, it could have been much, much worse; there are documented cases of people awaking following a severe head injury speaking French!*

*For the benefit of the pedants who will invariably ask, this does not mean French patients, but people who have never spoken French before...
  8. Oh the humanity!
  9. :D :D :D :D
  10. I would implore the cream of Northern aristocracy which i imagine to be represented here, to categorise my accent (one with a heavy mockney twang) into the same as French.

They sound oh so similar :roll:

I have stated before that the only difference between regional accents in the North lies in the words that they mis-pronounce!
  11. The North East accent happens to be the closest to real English, our dialect is unpolluted by any filthy French infuence or worse still Ali G type twang.

The Angles and Saxons brought with them to Britain a language which was the forerunner of modern English and indeed it was the Angles of Denmark that gave England its name - meaning the Angle land. Over the centuries the old Anglo Saxon language changed beyond recognition with the gradual introduction of Latin, Norman-French and other foreign influences.

Today the only part of England where the original Anglo-Saxon language has survived to any great extent is of course the North East. Here the old language survives in a number of varieties, the most notable of which are Northumbrian and Geordie. It is from the ancient Germanic and Scandinavian language of the Angles that the unique local dialects of Northumberland, Durham and Tyneside, all primarily owe their origins.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it you southern puffs!

12. Taken from `Mother Tongue´ by Bill Bryson:

"In the country inns of a small corner of northern Germany, in the spur of land connecting Schleswig-Holstein to Denmark, you can sometimes hear people talking in what sounds eerily like a lost dialect of English. Occasional snatches of it even make sense, as when they say that the `veather ist cold´ or inquire of the time by asking `What ist de clock?´ According to Professor Hubertus Menke, head of the German Department at Kiel University, the language is `very close to the way people spoke in Britain more than 1,000 years ago." This shouldn`t entirely surprise us. This area of Germany, called Angeln, was once the seat of the Angles, one of the Germanic tribes that 1,500 years ago crossed the North Sea to Britain, where they displaced the native Celts and gave the world what would one day become its most prominent language."

The Cad has some quite prominent, high-carat support for his assertions. So get with it Southerners, if yer wanna learn `ow to speak proper English, start spending time up Norf!

Talking about dialects and suchlike, I was born in Germany (shortly after the last big live-firing escapade) and brought up in North Nottinghamshire. My last job in UK before moving over to Germany was based in Ashford, Kent. One night in the pub I came into conversation with someone who studies dialects and suchlike. After a few minutes conversation he assured me that the dialect I have is not that of North Nottinghamshire, but of Pinxton (near Alfreton) in Derbyshire!

Total perplexation, I vaguely recall visiting the area once but never lived there. Then the penny dropped - my father was a former resident of the area. Thus - it would appear that the "natural" accent/dialect you pick up is related to the first sentences heard when still in your nappy - and it never really leaves you, despite many years in the Army and being exposed to any number of dialects.
  13. Howay, the lads.
  14. Yes that stable of Englishness and percieved image that is "pitmatic" :roll: