New home sought for Oxf & Bucks LI Coup De Main display.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by fallingplate, Sep 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently on public display on the top floor in 'B' Block at Bletchley Park in Bletchley/Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire.

Looking for a new home to be displayed to the public somewhere appropriate in Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire (the nearer to BL/MK the better).

The display is centred on the exploits of the 'Coup De Main' party, lead by Major John Howard, from the 2nd (AB) Bn Oxf & Bucks LI (and attached arms) on the night of 5/6th June 1944 when they seized the bridges over the Caen Canal and Orne River on the Eastern flank of the invasion area on D Day.

The display is quite large, housed in x6 display cabinets (approx 6' x 4' x2'), x1 large 1/72 scale diorama (approx 6' x 8' x 5'), x1 life size diorama containing x4 mannequins (approx 8' x 14' x 4'), x1 life size diorama containing x1 mannequin (approx 6' x 5' x 3'), deactivated British 3" mortar and ancillaries and Vickers machine gun, Willy's MB British Airborne Jeep, plus assorted other items.

The items on display tell the story from the start to finish of the coup de main and is mainly full of original and unique items and documents from veterans of the mission. Where appropriate high end reproduction items are used (such as uniforms of the mannequins). Deactivated weapons on display (less those mentioned earlier) include:

Mk I Bren
    No4 T*
    Mk V Sten
    Mk II Sten
    Enfield revolver
    Airborne 2" mortar
    No 36 Gren
    No 76 Gren
    No 86 Gren
    Gammon Bomb
    Hawkins Mine
    Spike bayonet
    Fairburn Sykes knife
    MP 40

Full to CES No 38 Wireless set (x2).

Also part of the display is an original 'Rupert' dummy paratrooper as used on D Day to confuse Germans forces (this was donated by the Army Air Corps museum at Middle Wallop).

It is hard to put into words how good this display is, it has grown over the last 15yrs that it has been housed (in various locations) at Bletchley Park to a rather substantial display.

Due to decisions being made by the management of BP it will soon be an untenable location for the display, therefore it has been decided to put feelers out for a new home run by people who actually care about this part of history and not just a group of business men trying to make a fast buck (is that me sounding a bit bitter!?! couldn't understand why???).

Anyhoo, is there anyone who can help????????????????????

I must stress that this is NOT my collection, but owned by a couple of freinds of mine who I have helped on a number of occasions putting items together for the display (as I am a complete OBLI bore :oops: ). I have been asked by them to put feelers out on a number of forums to see what replies come back.
  2. Wrong county, but have you thought of the Army Air Corps museum at Middle Wallop? Seeing as the Glider Pilot Regiment display (plus full-scale Horsa glider) is there it seems fitting.

Just a thought.
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Have you approached Kenny Gray at Winchester? Sounds like it would be just right for RGJ museum?
  4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

A Google UK search for +obli regimental headquarters led me to:

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    Oxford Branch RGJRA POC OBLI Assn. Mr Mike Marr ...... Regimental Headquarters by the. Assistant Regimental Secretary Finance or ... - Similar -

A lot of seemingly useful people to ask popped up there.
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yup. Hence my post above yours. Regimental museum at Winchester. Maj ken Gray is curator and very helpful.