new helmet regected

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by cam_up, Apr 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the new mk7 helmet has been regecte due to it failing ballistic tests so were are getting off the shelf american helmets
  2. any chance of a link to this rumour? or some spelling?
  3. what ones? MICH lids?
  4. American Helmets o.o
  5. There is nothing wrong with a British helmet - just ask the girls... :p

The makers of the Mk6/6a etc cannot design a helmet that meets Mk7 requirements ? 8O - so we have to buy OTS US kit ? Not OTS Uk ?
    I finding that a little odd - especially as they sell lots and lots of various types to other countries
  6. I thought that the new lids were based on the ones issued to them. The lid was shown in other threads. They must have been tested before the contract was signed. It could be that the manufacturer cant make enough to fill the amount needed in time.

Kitmonster will tell use all about it next time he signs in.
  7. True - where is the dear chap ? Arrse needs him !
  8. Also, this needs to go in the'PECOC' thread.

I await confirmation before jumping on the outrage bus (unless it's vor).

Won't be happy having the same lid as the yanks (and everyone else). The Canuck one is slightly different btw.
  9. Why? It performs better than ours. At least you'll be able to fire from the prone position now!
  10. I think the US lids are good, the shape is much better and also the strap system. If this is true then I eagerly await it.
  11. You mean no more waiting until you see the toe caps of the enemy? :?
  12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I used a US 'Kevlar' (the current one) on an exchange - it is more user comfortable than ours, easier to use in the prone but:

I think it would be even worse than our with a respirator;

KM has suggested that the movable self placed padding are a problem - Yes they are more comfortable but they only perform properly if they are set up properly. If you don't use enough of them or they are distributed wrongly the performance of the helmet I a critical situation may not be what we'd want.

PS They do look cool - or ally...
  13. But when everyone has one it loses the effect e.g. para lids and gentex on a para or one of the black nasty brigade but on a fat loggy not so.
  14. Looking cool, obviously the first thing on my mind when considering the PPE the Army has issued me.