new helmet regected

the new mk7 helmet has been regecte due to it failing ballistic tests so were are getting off the shelf american helmets

cam_up said:
the new mk7 helmet has been regecte due to it failing ballistic tests so were are getting off the shelf american helmets
any chance of a link to this rumour? or some spelling?

what ones? MICH lids?

There is nothing wrong with a British helmet - just ask the girls... :p

The makers of the Mk6/6a etc cannot design a helmet that meets Mk7 requirements ? 8O - so we have to buy OTS US kit ? Not OTS Uk ?
I finding that a little odd - especially as they sell lots and lots of various types to other countries

I thought that the new lids were based on the ones issued to them. The lid was shown in other threads. They must have been tested before the contract was signed. It could be that the manufacturer cant make enough to fill the amount needed in time.

Kitmonster will tell use all about it next time he signs in.

True - where is the dear chap ? Arrse needs him !

Also, this needs to go in the'PECOC' thread.

I await confirmation before jumping on the outrage bus (unless it's vor).

Won't be happy having the same lid as the yanks (and everyone else). The Canuck one is slightly different btw.

I think the US lids are good, the shape is much better and also the strap system. If this is true then I eagerly await it.

Fallschirmjager said:
arfah said:
Won't be happy having the same lid as the yanks (and everyone else).
Why? It performs better than ours. At least you'll be able to fire from the prone position now!
You mean no more waiting until you see the toe caps of the enemy? :?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I used a US 'Kevlar' (the current one) on an exchange - it is more user comfortable than ours, easier to use in the prone but:

I think it would be even worse than our with a respirator;

KM has suggested that the movable self placed padding are a problem - Yes they are more comfortable but they only perform properly if they are set up properly. If you don't use enough of them or they are distributed wrongly the performance of the helmet I a critical situation may not be what we'd want.

PS They do look cool - or ally...

BuggerAll said:
I used a US 'Kevlar' (the current one) on an exchange - it is more user comfortable than ours, easier to use in the prone but:

KM has suggested that the movable self placed padding are a problem - Yes they are more comfortable but they only perform properly if they are set up properly. If you don't use enough of them or they are distributed wrongly the performance of the helmet I a critical situation may not be what we'd want.

But when everyone has one it loses the effect e.g. para lids and gentex on a para or one of the black nasty brigade but on a fat loggy not so.

BuggerAll said:

Looking cool, obviously the first thing on my mind when considering the PPE the Army has issued me.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
jameson said:
BuggerAll said:

Looking cool, obviously the first thing on my mind when considering the PPE the Army has issued me.
Well quite: I was being facetious, but well done for pointing out the bleeding obvious.

I have been neglecting my Arrse duties but I have been busy relocating..more on that later.

Lets get one thing straight...kit failing proof testing shows why the MOD needs to have stringent QA systems. When you buy kit privately off the shelf they often pass the industry standards but fail the MoD ones (or other nations specific tests). Kit failing military procurement standards often still gets sold on to commercial resellers. Small military sales outlets can't do their own QA (far too expensive) so rely on the distributors, who rely on the manufactures, who pass industry standards not the highest standards.

To the subject in hand....be thankful that any problem was caught before they got out to ops. I'm a bit disconnected from this as I've been away a few weeks but their were issues and they will be addressed. I would be surprised if the 'US' helmets get a very wide distribution for reasons already outlined. May be just a delay which might need to jump over a RiP.

Roll on PECOC.....

i know such thigs as im on ttour and we were ment to get them here, and the reason for changeing is as the round struck goes around and out if it hits you in the front your fine but if it hits you in the side it can go in you shoulder and lighter and so on, i think the american helmets are to fill the gap from getting a mk7