New Head of Religious Affairs at BEEB

muhandis89 said:
He is -apparently- a Muslim!
Why - isn't that a religion any more or is the job reserved for blond-haired, blue-eyed, white, male Anglicans? They all believe in the same god don't they?

Muslims make up less than 10% of the UK population.However they are much more vocal than other-larger-religions.Is the BEEB continuing to appease only one religion?

muhandis89 said:
Muslims make up less than 10% of the UK population.However they are much more vocal than other-larger-religions.Is the BEEB continuing to appease only one religion?
Its around 3% for Muslims and just over 70% for Christian. I'm not arsed either way as I'm neither.

stacker1 said:
muhandis89 said:
Its around 3% for Muslims and just over 70% for Christian. I'm not arsed either way as I'm neither.
Surely Christian isn't a religion though, it's an umbrella term for any one of dozens of the buggers who believe that Jesus is the saviour of the world and that the new testament is a true and 100% accurate portrayal of his life, as well as the future (despite all the contradictions obviously).

I wonder what percentage of the population is actually anglican, as opposed to methodist, baptist, episcopalian, latter day saints, quaker, presbyterian, evangelical, mormon or any of the other variants that seem to spring up every time that someone fancies putting their own spin on it. I bet there are more practicing catholics, muslims or hindus than there are practicing anglicans.

muhandis89 said:
Last time I checked, Sunday Worship on Radio 4 came almost exclusively from Christian churches. Do you know how many Christians work for the BBC? If you don't, I don't see how you can say that - by employing a Muslim - they are "appeasing only one religion". Do you suggest that the staffing of public bodies should proportionately represent the religious-ethnic mix of the UK? Idiot.

PoisonDwarf said:
stacker1 said:
muhandis89 said:
Surely Christian isn't a religion though, it's an umbrella term for any one of dozens of the buggers who believe that Jesus is the saviour of the world and that the new testament is a true and 100% accurate portrayal of his life, as well as the future (despite all the contradictions obviously).

I wonder what percentage of the population is actually anglican, as opposed to methodist, baptist, episcopalian, latter day saints, quaker, presbyterian, evangelical, mormon or any of the other variants that seem to spring up every time that someone fancies putting their own spin on it. I bet there are more practicing catholics, muslims or hindus than there are practicing anglicans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom

Religions in United Kingdom, 2001
Religion/Denomination. Current religion. Percent %

Christian 42,079,000 71.6
No religion 9,104,000 15.5
Muslim 1,591,000 2.7
Hindu 559,000 1.0
Sikh 336,000 0.6
Jewish 267,000 0.5
Buddhist 152,000 0.3
Other Religion 179,000 0.3
All religions 45,163,000 76.8
Not Answered 4,289,000 7.3
No religion +
Not Answered 13,626,000 23.2
Base 58,789,000 100

Source: UK 2001 Census.[1]

[edit] Denominations in Great Britain
Religion/Denomination Percent %
Church of England 22.2
Roman Catholic 9.0
Presbyterian/Church of Scotland 2.4
Methodist 1.8
Other Protestant 2.3
Christian (no denomination) 9.6
Other Christian 0.3
Muslim 3.3
Hindu 1.4
Jewish 0.5
Sikh 0.3
Other Religion 0.6
No religion 45.8
Refused / NA 0.6

_Artemis_ said:
muhandis89 said:
Last time I checked, Sunday Worship on Radio 4 came almost exclusively from Christian churches. Do you know how many Christians work for the BBC? If you don't, I don't see how you can say that - by employing a Muslim - they are "appeasing only one religion". Do you suggest that the staffing of public bodies should proportionately represent the religious-ethnic mix of the UK? Idiot.
I thought that was what was being said for quite a few years now. The met, the forces...or does it only count if there are too many non-ethnics?

so what? He could have been Jewish or Hindu. As long as he is broad minded enough to provide balanced broadcasting. What next? Protests because the head of Sports broadcasting prefers rugby league to "footi" or the political editor happens to be a LibDem supporter?

Grow up

PoisonDwarf said:
a. Which would still make 'Christian' a religion, just not homogenous in its interpretation. Think quantum mechanics - there are several schools of thought that try to explain its mysteries, but they would all describe themselves as physics-based.

b. Your definition would exclude those branches of Christianity, or individuals, that do not believe that NT is a 100% accurate portrayal.

a. Mormons aren't Protestant in terms of descent; Latter Day Saints are mormonistic, and generally regarded as being The Mormons.

b. If you're going to enumerate 'protestants' by denomination, then you should really extend the privilege to the others. There are several branches of 'true' Catholicism (in its wider sense, Anglicans are catholics), and the terms Shia and Sunni may be familiar.

c. I'm sure an argument could be made that Christianity and Islam are merely branches of Judaism, so the Jews win on headcount in the UK :D

Come to think of it - perhaps the BBC ought to persuade the various religious orgs across the country if they would care to help fund religious programmes.

They do, after all, give them a platform for them to pump out their various beliefs. It is currently paid for by the taxpayer - most of whom would probably regard the garbage that is pumped out on that station as a waste of their money or are irreligious!!

I'll wager there aren't that many programmes dedicated to atheist perspectives (although I can't be arssed to watch to find out if whether or not that statement has any founding whatsoever!!). If that's the case it would seem that the Beeb are not quite as unbiased as they would lead one to think!

tattybadger said:
I'll wager there aren't that many programmes dedicated to atheist perspectives...
To be fair, they did make Dawkins "The Root of all Evil" did they not? Just how many atheist perspective programmes could you make and what would they be about?

StickyEnd said:
tattybadger said:
I'll wager there aren't that many programmes dedicated to atheist perspectives...
To be fair, they did make Dawkins "The Root of all Evil" did they not? Just how many atheist perspective programmes could you make and what would they be about?
True - I will be tucking into a large portion of humble pie in about 2 minutes' time!!

That'll teach me for gobbing it off without any evidence to sp my propositions!!

Hurrah for the Beeb say I!!!

All_I_Want said:
_Artemis_ said:
muhandis89 said:
I thought that was what was being said for quite a few years now. The met, the forces...or does it only count if there are too many non-ethnics?
And it's wrong to be said: why do we think that anything other than a meritocracy is what we should be aiming for?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 2
Line_Grunt The Intelligence Cell 10
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 4