New HDTV/Monitor Woes and Wonders. A reviewish.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by TamH70, Nov 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks. I bought a Samsung Syncmaster 2333HD, which is a thing of beauty to behold. Compared to my puir wee Dell 1708FP which is now languishing in a corner waiting for me to transfer it and its replacement to my AV room, it is absolutely huge. It has lots of inputs, including DVI-D, VGA-DSub, SPDIF, 3.5mm digital input and, crucially, Optical output. Not input, which is why I ran into my first problem with my new toy. I had bought a shiny new optical cable, took off the end caps, plugged in one end to my motherboard's onboard optical output, and plugged the other end into the matching hole on the other side. And wondered why I wasn't hearing anything. After digging out my manual from the pile of bumf I got with the telly, I discovered my mistake, and spent a few minutes slapping my head in true Homer Simpson fashion.

Went to the next step and ran an old fashioned stereo input output cable from the computer to the telly and got sounds at last.

The next problem came when I tried to connect my telly to the computer's HD4870 using a DVI-D to HDMI dongle to convert the HDMI cable into something which I thought I could use.
    Long story short, two dongles down the line and I am back to using the DVI-D cable hooking up the computer to the telly.

For anyone who has more braincells than me, I couldn't recommend the Samsung any higher. It works beautifully if you use it properly and use the right bits and pieces to connect it to other hardware items. If you don't, it will give you several sharp kicks in the nads.

Oh, as for it's perfomance in web browsing, media playback and gaming? Superb.

World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King and STALKER - Call of Pripyat in 1900-1080p look awesomely good.
    For streaming media, like Youtube videos, then anything lower than 738p looks horrible fullscreen. 1080p Native resolution encoded stuff is the exact opposite - lush, in fact.

2. thm_phpD9F6bS.jpg

Here is an all in one solution from Samsung,..the UE40D8000 TV, You can surf on it wireless or wired and there are loads of free apps for it including music and games and of course you can Google your arrse on it too. The cables in the pic are from my Bose speakers, To set up the TV just plug it in and tune into your home wireless network.
  3. Been looking at buying one of these, but waiting for the digital switchover to finish on my area, sales start shortly after then. How long have you had it? Any probs?
  4. Only a few days but so far so good, Its a massive improvement on last years model the c version nearly everything has been tweaked to refine the picture quality. Weather playing a HD source or not its very Sharpe. The wireless setup took around 10 minuets to do and there's a one stop page called smart hub which allows you to surf and add any apps,watch films, video or music you have recorded on any USB device. I cant find any fault with it so far, fingers crossed. the new 2011 D Series samsungs all have great reviews as far as i can see.