New Harry Flashman but GMF??

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by bokkatankie, Mar 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has any one read this yet, has been reviewed on here?

Good idea for a book but what would GMF say?

[TABLE="class: MsoNormalTable, width: 88%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 25%, bgcolor: transparent"]
    [​IMG]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 25%, bgcolor: transparent"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. GMF "Mines a Lagavulin, your research and footnotes are shite Mr Tayler."

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Currently being reviewed for Arrse. I have twos up in the book. :)

4. Look forward to your review, the Amazon reviews are fairly good, but I think yours will be more reliable!

Did he get permission from GMF (if it was needed) to use the Flashman tag?

5. Got this on Kindle the other day as the reviews on Amazon were encouraging but not had a chance to start on it yet. I suspect getting permission from GMF would be a little hard without the aid of the occult!

6. You barstewards! For one second there, seeing the title of the thread I thought that someone had found a completed GMF novel & published it! My heart leapt, soared & missed a beat!!!
    Then I read the thread - gutted...

7. I'm amazed that this got past HarperCollins.

8. Need to get Convoy Cock involved in writing a new McAuslan series.

9. Post Mortem additions never really work IMHO. There's always a lack of the original author's flair and the end result can seem a bit contrived.

The author would have to have permission of the estate- presumably controlled by GMF's widow Kathleen MacDonald Fraser. His daughter is also an author so it's to be assumed that a lot of thought went to making the decision to allow the licence.

10. I don't think this will be a good idea tbh. You can never replace gmf. Why not just let it be and leave them wanting more? It's sacrilege to try and remake flashman, it's hardly as if his modern counterpart would risk joining the army nowadays anyway. He'd more likely be a stockbroker or corrupt politician.

11. I read Space Captain Smith the other day expecting a future flashmanesque story but that was utterly shite too.

12. Thanks and I tend to agree. I did mean his estate, as the protector of his legacy, and what a legacy!

To see it trivialised (in so much as a global legacy being hijacked) in this way, without, I must add, having read the new book, is disturbing; look inside (pages one can preread) bit does not bode well.

Was the addition of Harry in front of Flashman a way to get around such permission. All GMF books were titled Flashman ..........

Edited to add, before some one else corrects me, other than:

Royal Flash and
    Flash for Freedom

No mention of any such permission in the early pages but funds potentially going to H4H, so all is well in the world!

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not me reviewing mate but a much better reviewer, who is on leave just now. Once he has done it he has promised me twos up, which is great and of course if he does not forward it then his name may just slip from my mind when new books become available!! :)

14. Tread softly, as you tread on my dreams. Sadly there will never be another one.

15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's probably heretical to admit this but I've never actually read a Flashman novel.

My understanding is that they're a rip-off / tribute / homage to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's outrageously funny Brigadier Gerard books whereby the eponymous hero saves the day usually through a combination of stupidity and a lack of self awareness?

Or is Flashman more of an Edmund Blackadder?