New guy

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by sgtmac, Nov 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Hope this is in the right area if not I apologize. I am in the U.S. Army and was wondering where I could get one of the hats that the 3 Scots wear. I know there is an actual name for it but I'm not sure what it is. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be most greatful. Once I retire I do plan on moving to be over there, everyone I've met has been very friendly, anyone know how hard it would be to gain citizenship? Thanks in advance for any help or advise and sorry for rambling on.

2. Just ask for a 'silly scottish bobble hat'

3. Isn't it a Russ Abbott "Wee Jimmy" hat??

4. Try Ebay for TOS or Tam o Shanter. You might be able to get a RRS cap badge on it too, if you want the old one before the Scottish Battalions were all amalgmated then you'll need to get a red hackle.

5. Hey thanks dropshortjock. Found it, so one more question....they don't wear the red hackle anymore? And what is RRS?? Thanks again!

6. They do wear the red hackle, but all Scottish Regiments wear the Royal Regiment of Scotland (RRS) cap badge on an Argylls Tartan background. The Black Watch (or 3 SCOTS) wear their red hackle behind the cap badge.

7. Oh dear, I don't know if you want to move over here because of your new President, but I would suggest somewhere else.
    We've had ten years of CHANGE and political soundbites.
    It's just doesn't work.
    There is a whole lot of difference between a tourist and a resident.
    Just in case let me be the first to congratulate you on your decision to emigrate to Feral Britain.

8. RRS = Royal Regiment of Scotland, details below:

http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/SCOTS.aspx

9. Great thankyou so much guys! Would have loved to been able to move over there sooner.So I could join up. As it is now I'll be 35 before I'm eligible to join. And from what I hear cutoff is 33. No it's not because of the new president, it's just something I've always wanted to do. Can't really explain it. Although, I've had the extreme pleasure of meeting a few Irish ladies and have to say....LOVE the accent! I met one on my honeymoon from the first marriage, talked to her for about 30 minutes before I realized my new wife was getting mad!

10. Great thankyou so much guys! Would have loved to been able to move over there sooner.So I could join up. As it is now I'll be 35 before I'm eligible to join. And from what I hear cutoff is 33. No it's not because of the new president, it's just something I've always wanted to do. Can't really explain it. Although, I've had the extreme pleasure of meeting a few Irish ladies and have to say....LOVE the accent! I met one on my honeymoon from the first marriage, talked to her for about 30 minutes before I realized my new wife was getting mad!

11. You're not Madonna are you?

Thinking about it, Madonna has fitted in quite well. When she first talked about coming to live in England, she said that she wanted to be more "English".

So, fast forward a few years... She's now a single mum, with three kids, by three different fathers, one of whom is black.

Mission accomplished then Madge! :)

12. Hello and welcome
    I'm a bit intrigued by your question, You say you want a Tam-o-shanter and you want to move over there "Scotland"? all this based on hearing a few Irish girls. :D hope it happens for you anyway.

Ps
    Can I have your place in america? because it's fast turning into a shytehole over here.

13. No I base it on the people I've met. I think that I've had really the same expierience with them as I've had with friends of many years. Thats what it feels like anyway. The Irish ladies thing was a little off topic I guess. I don't know if you'd want to come over here man, everything is so Politically Correct you can barely tell a joke anymore, without hurting someones feelings. I'm sure every country has it's own little problems, just kinda tired of the ones here.

P.S.
    Hey ordinary what the hell is that in your avatar?

14. Thats my new passport photo for coming to the good old USA :lol:
    Good luck sarge.