• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

New GSM medal clasp award for crew of HMS DARING

In the 73 years since the end of WW2, and thousands of operations, this is only the 2nd time the RN have had a specific clasp awarded.
The Mine Clearance, Gulf Of Suez and Gulf clasps on the GSM62 were pretty much RN/RM-specific.

Re, the Yangtse clasp, it wasn't just the Amethyst that was awarded it either. Black Swan, London and Consort also qualified.

Fun-poking aside. I think they deserve the clasp. Floating about in a tin target isn't my idea of fun.

ugly

LE
Yep, you could.

. . . except for the one that had Norn Iron on it. Which is UK. Which was the first and only time that a campaign within the bounds of UK has ever been recognised.
No thats the bar, the medal is for lots of campaigns

what about

apart from GSM 1918-62 clasp "Bomb and Mine Clearance 1945–49" Awarded for a total of 180 days active engagement in the removal of mines and bombs in the UK between May 1945 and December 1949 and the Battle of Britain Clasp to the 1939-45 Star(ok that's above the UK)
*cough*

The award was also granted to Australian Army personnel employed on similar duties in the following territories :-

a) Solomon Islands (Australian Mandate and British Protectorate).

b) New Guinea (Trust Territory).

c) Papua.

The Mine Clearance, Gulf Of Suez and Gulf clasps on the GSM62 were pretty much RN/RM-specific.

Re, the Yangtse clasp, it wasn't just the Amethyst that was awarded it either. Black Swan, London and Consort also qualified.

Fun-poking aside. I think they deserve the clasp. Floating about in a tin target isn't my idea of fun.

Sorry, should have been more clear - specific clasp for specific ship! :)

ugly

LE
I'll try again: The GSM w/c 'NORTHERN IRELAND' is, to date, the only campaign medal which recognises campaign service wholly within UK.
Nope the bar is the recognition, the medal is general service, yes many were issued with only the NI bar but that's just a long campaign recognised by the issue of a bar.

Come on, they were sat on a modern navy vessel bristling with state of the art defensive and offensive systems. They had to go to action stations and everything against the Houthi rebels who use remote controlled speedboats and have no Air
But they're a bit tasty with cricket balls, for which Daring's sensor suite was specifically designed.

ugly

LE
Nope the bar is the recognition, the medal is general service, yes many were issued with only the NI bar but that's just a long campaign recognised by the issue of a bar.
There is a regular poster who has five bars on his GSM as I recall.
Edit to add his 1962 era.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
There is a regular poster who has five bars on his GSM as I recall.
Edit to add his 1962 era.
He only got them for filling in forms and sending laundry fwd.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Juniors 6
EX_STAB Medals 22
M Military History and Militaria 27