New GSM medal clasp award for crew of HMS DARING

ugly

LE
Maybe all the Iraq and Afghanistan medals unless you were shot at. Zero logic to half these comments.
A few years ago many of us agreed that a recognition of those in combat was worthy but were poo pooed by the capbadge is the marker brigade.
Anyway if you get upset over a little banter when no one (absolutely no Andrew) were shot at let alone wounded or returned fire and the Admiralty gets all Mutley over it then perhaps the infamous RN sense of humour has sailed.
Go to the QM and sign out some gonads.

ugly

LE
I don't understand your logic. We give medals to infantryman trained and equipped for close combat, we give medals to aircrew trained and equipped with modern aircraft.

So why should the crew of a warship not be afforded the same?
So just because some penguins get gongs for refuelling drones in Italy now the Navy want some, smells of mutley to me!

In. See BR67 Chapter 1. A landsman lives in a house, therefore a seaman* lives IN a ship. BR67 = Admiralty Manual of Seamanship, hence all sailors (and merchant seaman and other seafarers) are referred to as seaman...
Whatever; I hear plenty of RN types saying they have served ON a particular ship.

...I imagine the problem would be admitting that they had frequently done things like Underwater Look...
I think patrols within specified geographical boundaries would suffice. However, getting into and out of sensitive waters without counter-detection was and remains a more enduring and I would imagine mentally demanding task.

Regards,
MM

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Navy certainly shouldn't get any medals. They just sit on their boats and let the Army take all the risks.
Then you should have tried harder at school.

Then you should have tried harder at school.
I failed the Navy entrance exam. When asked if i was a homosexual i said no.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I failed the Navy entrance exam. When asked if i was a homosexual i said no.
You know it is wrong to lie at interview????

I wonder if anyone has a figure for the number of 'accidental deaths' in the RN since the war? (maybe @jim30 a can put a number on it). Going to sea is dangerous and always has been and always will be. A contemporary and sometime schoolmate of mine is still entombed in HMAS Voyager at the bottom of the oggin as a result of a collision, along with 80+ other shipmates. That's why the 'dangers of the sea' precede the 'violence of the enemy' in the naval prayer I think. Quite separately, the figure for FAA aircrew losses since 1945 must be enormous. It includes three of my term who are still sitting in their cabs at the bottom of the Med, Lyme Bay and the Malacca Strait. Of their bones is coral made.

As to the Cod Wars (above) I don't think there were any awards in spite of many bumpy collisions.
HMAS Voyager? He wasn't the guy who was too big to fit through the escape hatch was he?

Whatever; I hear plenty of RN types saying they have served ON a particular ship...
@Magic_Mushroom 'tis but an in-house differentiator: Lower Deck (on) vs Quarterdeck (in).

Same same the RN Officer gold braided sleeves: These become 'stripes' on the Quarterdeck whereas they are known as 'rings''on the Lower Deck (where the term 'stripes' refers to the RN's chevron-shaped Good Conduct Badges.)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
:twisted:At the end of the day it is only a bit of tin. Most campaign medals are given to people who, if they hear gunfire, it is a long way away with lots of friendlies between them and the enemy.

These guys have been in a situation which the honors and medals committee, not the most generous of people, have decided the ship was in a position of danger for the requisite amount of time.

Live with it.

Oh, and as this is the Army Rumour Service talking about the Navy - these walkmen/iPads don't look after themselves you know! :p

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
HMAS Voyager? He wasn't the guy who was too big to fit through the escape hatch was he?
Very funny. In fact some escape scuttles had been hammered shut to stop seawater getting in.

Very funny. In fact some escape scuttles had been hammered shut to stop seawater getting in.
Not a joke old boy, quite serious:

"Chief Petty Officer Jonathan Rogers was posthumously awarded the George Cross for his actions during the sinking. Recognising that he was too large to fit through the escape hatch, he organised the evacuation of those who could escape, then led those stuck in the compartment in prayers and hymns as they died. "

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Juniors 6
EX_STAB Medals 22
M Military History and Militaria 27