New Graphics Card Upgrade??

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Dennis48, Mar 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an Acer Predator G5900 desktop with a Nvidia Geforce GT340 graphics card that does not support DX11. I want to upgrade the Graphics card but being a technically challenged ex-matelot have the Gurus here got any suggestions on what I can upgrade to?
    Thanks

2. What is your budget?

You can upgrade to just about anything you want, if you've got the cash. I would set a maximum budget and then look at what you can get for that based upon your requirements.

3. GeForce GTX 680 should cure what ails ya.

4. You need to be careful that anything you upgrade to will work with your setup. Your mainboard, processor etc might not support the newest graphics card making the whole thing pointless. Google the optimum setup that your mainboard can handle. You might find it cheaper to just replace your computer.

Also is anything using DX11 yet?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Find a friends / Neighbours 16 year old child, tell them your budget and let them loose. It's always worked for me.

6. It's not clear what you do with your computer. If you are one of those 'must have' bleeding-edge gamers at the far end of the autistic spectrum, then you can potentially spend £00s on something that will be second division and half the price within months. If you use you PC for business, browsing, simple graphics etc. you can get something quite high spec for about £50 - £60 and DX 11 will not even enter the equation.

7. It's a modern machine bought in 2011 and has an i5 chip and therefore an LGA 1156 socket with an H57 chipset. That's a bit old now but fine still. I'm running a 5 year old motherboard, 5 year old core 2 duo and 5 year old 4Gb DDR2 ram. I can still play all the games I want because I upgraded my graphics card from a HD4870 (which was 4 years old and still better than a GT 430) to a 6950 last year which cost me £190. This year I'll have to replace the board/chip/ram. So he won't have to buy a new PC, he can spend £200 and get a high end graphics card that will last 3 years plus and play everything.

All motherboards these days have a standard PCI-Express graphics card slots, as is his, so he can put any PCI-E card into that slot as long as the power supply is sufficient. That means £35 on a GT 430 or £800 on a GTX Titan!

Here's a graphics card hierarchy chart Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: March 2013 Higher is more powerful (and more expensive).

I'd suggest at least a GT560 Ti which is around £130 or AMD radeon equivalent if you are gaming at 1650 x 1050 resolution and above. If you aren't doing anything that requires the power then there's little point in upgrading and DX11.1 will be irrelevant.

8. download this Glary Utilities | Glarysoft find out what your motherboard spec is, then see what graphics card you can handle

Also the power of your PSU helps too.

9. ATI 7850. DX11 card, not too 'slower' than the 79xx series, priced around £140.

The 1156 chipset motherboard will happily take a faster i5 (or even i7) CPU and, depending on what you do, last another couple of years at least.

An example of targeted upgrades: my work rig is an 8 year old dual dual-core Opteron 890, works just fine for Office, Photoshop, video work, web development, etc. The gfx card has been upgraded from ATI X800 to X1950 to an ATI 6xxx series. Original CPUs were Opteron 295s, then replaced with slightly slower dual-core 890s, and RAM increased to 16GB DDR400. There's nowt actually wrong with it.

The other way to speed up an older system is migrate the HD to an SSD. The improvement is simply massive!