New Golden Retriever in the family

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by crabby, Aug 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Picked up a two year old bitch at the weekend - old owners ended up allergic to her and my wife and I knew we couldn't deal with a puppy right now with our work schedules.

She's tiny for a pure-bred retriever, and definitely a North American one (longer snout, smaller in general). Soft as grease though. Also an incredibly soft mouth - even "medium dog" toys are proving too hard for her. Excellent at retrieving, it's almost a shame that she won't be used as a retriever!

Anyway, the fat, ugly one is me, the cute one is the dog.

Attached Files:

2. Congrats - awesome-looking mutt.

Expect your house to be permanently caked with golden fur for about the next 12 years though...

3. She's gorgeous!
  4. Beautiful dog!
  5. Thanks for the nice replies - currently up at silly o'clock to take her for a 4 mile walk to try and tire her out a little
  6. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Golden retrievers are great hounds, playful, loyal, obedient and brimming with personality. Mines dead, but I can't bring myself to bury him I liked him that much.

Got a black lab now, its a giddy cnut and lacking the same happy go lucky attitude. I don't dislike it, just not a replacement hound for the retriever.
  7. Are you sure theres not something more you'd like to share with us?
  8. Congratulations! She looks like a lovely dog.

Even if you don't shoot, perhaps you could try training her for field trials?
  9. My wife's last dog was a black lab - incredibly stupid mutt and was allergic to everything.

This retriever is lovely, but will go home with anyone. She's making me lose some weight as I'm walking at least 6 miles a day with her.

Was considering getting her in to flyball, though occasionally she gets a bit distracted by the grass and spends 5 minutes rolling in it as happy anything.
  10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Nor could you put it out of it's misery when it needed it either you great dog torturer.

Before anyone thinks PG is in touch with his feminine side and was overcome with emotion when the time came, I can reveal that only reason he didn't kill the poor sick creature is because he can't hit a tethered mutt sat on it's scabby arse at three paces.
  11. Good luck explaining to your missus why your love sack tastes of Bovril.
  12. On a similar subject I am hoping soon to move to a house out in the sticks with approx 1 acre of ground. I am keen to have a dog, Jack Russel size or similar breed, should I go for a puppy or rescue dog?
  13. ..............and you know this how?!
  14. She looks in excellent condition; I think you can consider yourself incredibly lucky as it goes.
    Regards - JB.
  15. Nothing new there :D