New glove recommendations

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Sep 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Like the big woos i am i need a new pair of gloves with the cold weather coming in for general field work and patrolling. Currently im using the barbour neoprene ones but they are not very breathable so the hands sweat like hell. So breathability, durability and some warmth are key, waterproof is a bonus.

I was looking at these as they seem a bit lighter but seem more suited to sandy places rather than wet and cold UK:
    Operator Glove - Tan [TRJ-OPG] - £20.42 : RVOps, Military Boots, Clothing and Equipment

And yes i done a search but all the recommendations were the neoprenes or heavier. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. I thoroughly recommend the Barbour neoprene for on the range, but they are shit in the field. Nowhere near robust enough.

Oakley SI gloves - ******* ace as long as you get the right size.

3. Aye the Barbours are great but far too hot. How do the Oakleys compare there, the blurp mentions moisure absorption and ventillation? Also is the knuckle protection not awkward?

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Mac Wet gloves, like pilots gloves but not leather, really good, I wear them stalking!

5. If Ugly recommends them they must be good. How are they for keeping the hands warm without being too hot? They dont seem as think and plastered in leather as the Oakleys. And how are they wet?

6. Ugly...stalking what?....Jill Dando?

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

dando? In my dreams! They are lightweight and therefore thin and tactile. A friend wore his on last seasons scottish hind cull. They get wet but stay warm although the wind on them when wet is a pain. I dont really know of any glove that really does the lot in every condition. For temperate climate shooting they are superb but no good for heavy duty handling, such as barbed wire.
    I wear mine even in summer as it stops the insects biting and helps ward off the chill in an evening high seat. They come off for the gralloch as I would rather not dhobi them!

8. Exactly, layers, just like clothing. I've got Norwegian Army issue outers Miltrad - Nettbutikk

Some thinsulate inners/dry weather gloves
    Camo Gloves, Wool Gloves, Handwarmers, Fleece Gloves, Leather Gloves

And some assault gloves...
    Wiley X | Tactical Gloves - Cag-1

And if you're going to be doing a lot of digging in or Fibua work then some Gardening Gloves.
    B&Q Men's Reinforced Work Gloves, 0000003715611

Its not as if you have to carry all of them at all times. The fleece and gardening gloves are dirt cheap. The Kevlar & Nomex wiley-x's aren't such a good deal (Actually for me they were because a mate of a mate in the USAF gave me them, but they can cost a bit if you don't have an obliging American friend who'se retiring). Obviously anything Norwegian is expensive but there are issue mittens out there...

DPM SAS WINDPROOF ARCTIC ripstop INSULATED MITTS new on eBay (end time 02-Oct-10 17:47:58 BST)

9. Read further down the listing....Archery. I've got a set of the Mac Wet gloves....they don't do too well near flame but apart from that I'm impressed with them.

10. I use the Oakleys a lot in the field. They are good when moving but pretty crap at keeping your hands warm when static, the kevlar lined palms are thin enough to mean you can still fell things ok but they offer great protection from sharp stuff and hot stuff like empty cases. The kevlar knuckle protection doens't get in my way but thats just me.

Thay also do black ones and sand ones (might get the sand ones too, dont know yet). I've used them a lot a I love them so I'd recomend getting a pair of these just make sure they fit well.

11. Unicycle

Does that mean that you've acquired a pair of green or dpm Oakleys? I've only seen the sand and black on RVOps and really needed the DPM.

12. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

SI gloves are pump. I had two pairs, from two different suppliers, one for Telic, one for Belize, both of them fell apart in fairly rapid order and did naff all to keep your hands warm.

I do not recommend. Although I'll balance that and say that they do save your hands from burns when handling hot casing or weapon parts. At least, they do until the gloves melt through which happened once. lol.

Get a pair of Seal Skin ones, the windstopper type. Work very well, very thin but cosy so that if you need to, you can chuck a pair of issue tissue gloves on top for extra heat.

13. B&Q Own Make Black Work Gloves for £9.99 Are The Dogs

14. Ratty thay only do them in black [or/B] tan. If you see them in any other colour or under £30 there (j)oakleys.