Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

New Germany LOA Rates - WTF!!!

Probably due to the strong pound and the weak Euro. And to think as late as 2010 we, as a family, were on £45 per day.

At least the other tax priviliges out here are safe (fingers crossed)

Doubt they will try and renegotiate the SOFA in the midst of drawdown, just quite a big cut is all - those crates of weisenbier aren't free you know!

Well I go to Germany regulaly on motorbike holidays and find it cheaper than the UK (I live in Oxfordshire).
Plus I won't tell you waht I was getting in the '70's, you'll only cry.
But then I only got one medal.

Well I go to Germany regulaly on motorbike holidays and find it cheaper than the UK (I live in Oxfordshire).
Plus I won't tell you waht I was getting in the '70's, you'll only cry.
But then I only got one medal.

I'll make you cry. As a 2Lt I was on around a fiver a day LOA (1975) and the FFR was around DM7.40 to the Pound. Then went to NI where we lost it after 30 days.

In 1976 it was around 6 quid a day with an FFR of (IIRC) DM6.20 to the Pound. Happy days as I was single then.

I guess it must be tough having to live on that amount of extra cash per day on top on fuel coupons, tax free booze, tax free car, and the euro around 1.35 to the pound.

Are there food banks being set up on the patch yet?

How it's stayed so high for so long is the surprise.

Only complete mongs who only shopped in the colonel's needed the LOA. Local shops were like lidl and aldi.

These cries of anguish always happen when the FFR changes but aren't really justified - and no, I am not a paymonger trying to didle anyone out of their money, like the OP I am a recipient of LOA that has just apparently been "cut".

In fact it isn't a cut at all - this is a perfectly normal balancing process that aims at giving you the same amount of euros in the bank at the end of April as you got in March (well almost because April on has 30 days!). We don't profit from changes in the exchange rate and the price of milk in Aldi/Carrfour etc hasn't risen because the pound is strong or the FFR has risen. Therefore, depending on exaclty how you split your salary between overseas and UK, you should have the same local buying power next month as you hae this month. In fact, had the pound been falling rather than rising, resulting in the FFR being reduced, our LOA would have gone up to balance it out - I've presonally experienced both and have to say that I think it's fair.

My CoC was wise enough to put out a couple of very clear briefing sheets that explain exacly how it works and I am more than happy to forward them to anyone who wants to send me a pm...

There were a lot of discrepancies between rates for those serving on large bases (eg Ramstein - with concomitant access to cheap/free facilities) and those living 'on the economy' at ISODETS. The former group, allegedly based on the spending patterns of a Cpl, were paid more. Has this been resolved?