New fuel found on trees?

First of all, welcome to ARRSE!

As for the fuel, doesn't look very renewable, green yes, however could this really be used on a mass scale?

Bordtea said:
First of all, welcome to ARRSE!

As for the fuel, doesn't look very renewable, green yes, however could this really be used on a mass scale?
Thanks.

Maybe! not sure, but the scientists seemed to be very excited.

I think there's some tree tree that grows in the tropics, Northern Australia? that produces a "fuel" very similar to Paraffin

Hmm sounds like nothing new then.

I would have put energy instead, but fuel makes a more intereting title. :)

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally, I don't think it'll ever be commercially viable - certainly not on the scale needed, and you'd have to cover one hell of a lot of healthy trees with this fungus otherwise.

Like all growing fuel sources, on the scale required, even if it was done in factories, you'd still have a mahoosive surface area of the stuff growing to produce sufficient quantities.

Oh - welcome to ARRSE.

Good first post Jammin, and it's actually quite exciting.

Because if this fungus can break down cellulose , have we also found a way to turn garbage into fuel?

Further to PTPs post, surely the boffins will identify the chemical which converts stuff to hydrocarbons and then try to duplicate it, using it to break down our rubbish.

PartTimePongo said:
Good first post Jammin, and it's actually quite exciting.

Because if this fungus can break down cellulose , have we also found a way to turn garbage into fuel?
Thats what I understand from the aricle.
Even of all it achieves is turning waste into a useful product (as opposed to being a large volume fuel in its own right) then its bloody useful.

Jammin_8_5 said:
Maybe! not sure, but the scientists seemed to be very excited.
Any scientist looking at a potentially huge research grant is generally excited!

Not that I'm a cynic... no, really. ;-)

happybonzo said:
I think there's some tree tree that grows in the tropics, Northern Australia? that produces a "fuel" very similar to Paraffin
Jatropha or Physic Nut. can be used as a basic fuel oil on pressing, or esterified to bio diesel. Indian railways grow it on their track verges and run a high percentage of diesel engines on it. Labour intensive initially, uses scrub land, limited in regions it can grow (lower altitude), not edible/harmful to livestock.
Some speculators on the AIM have made some money on it, but it's a better 3rd world CSR initiative to a local community than a general fuel for the future

If all it does is produce a hydrocarbon-based fuel from a different source, how 'green' is it in reality? The waste disposal angle looks good, very good. I imagine we'd have a hard time unearthing all those landfills for retrospective treatment, though.