New force for good

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kromeriz, Apr 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would be surprised, although you can undoubtedly see the benefits for those particular countries I really couldn't see that happening here. I think there would be too much hostility to merge with, say, the French for example (and rightly so). The shivers went down my spine just at the thought.

2. Seems very sensible for me. And while this may not be a popular view here on ARRSE I think wider integration with our European Allies is the only way we will retain any form of credible military capability.

Lets be honest, the UK no longer has the capability to do anything militarily on its own in all but the most exceptional of circumstances.

A single Bde (Div at best effort will not give you enough combat power to do anything unilaterally in all but the smallest and most backward of states.
    Our Fleet is so small that to get a couple of ships of Libya required the dropping of other operational commitments
    We can barely deploy enough airpower to provide to provide Air Cover CAS for a very small area with a very low level of opposition.

Add this all together and we no longer have the mass to do anything on our own; we haven’t for years hence all the last ops have been coalitions.

Now add in the US (our current partner of choice) is quickly trying to re-focus to the Pacific and we are left looking for other helpful allies.

We may not like it, but the reality of the situation is that if we and the rest of Europe want to be able to deliver credible military effect in areas of European interest, then closer cooperation and more intelligent use of resources, procurement policy and C2 is the only way forward.

It will not be easy, but it will have to be done if we want to be able to do anything worthwhile in the future

• Like Like x 1
  3. Therein will be a problem. Thinking back over 30 years and I can think of several times that the French have said they disagree with military intervention. The Germans said in public that they would not get involved in Libya.

Of course the mass or arrsers might well want nothing to do with a pan European defence policy either.

Then another bone returns. Government favourment over their industrial national defence interests. Given the number of times arrsers have objected to the way in which senior officers seem to approve awful over budget projects before moving onto the management of the said defence company, it could only induce inredulity that things might get better.

It would be interesting to here from our European arrsers if a similar thing happens with their forces and national military industrial complex.

4. Having just worked with the French, I'd rather take my chances on our own.

5. Dolls teeth, unfortnately that's the point; we are too small to do anything on our own any more. Like it or hate it we are going to have to work with European partners in the future for military operations. The US aren't interested anymore anf have other problems.

We can either stick our heads in the saned or start trying to come up with solutions and a framework for the European allies to do military stuff. If not we are mostly wasting the UK Defence budget on a vanity project!

6. Dolls Teeth, unfortnately that's the point; we are too small to do anything on our own any more. Like it or hate it we are going to have to work with European partners in the future for military operations. The US aren't interested anymore anf have other problems.

We can either stick our heads in the sand or start trying to come up with solutions and a framework for the European allies to do military stuff. If not we are mostly wasting the UK Defence budget on a vanity project!

7. I forget the phrase (I'm sure someone will remind me) but something along the lines of "if you don't learn from history your destined to repeat it" or something. That alone tells me to stay clear of the French.

And before anyone gets a monk on I've just worked with them, despite their own arrogant, missguided view that they are the leaders of military operations and a model for all to follow, they are decades behind us in both equipment, tactics and operational experience and would be a hindrance more than anything.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Then perhaps its about time that the government and the MoD grew up and realised that we only have small forces because we cant afford any more. Cut the cloth means you cant cloth the world in MTP and expect it to run smoothly. We need to look at what our priorities are, a small navy and a small army means we can possibly just about defend the UK and the odd swampy island and no more! If we stop these foreign adventures we will save a fortune and wont have the ******* turning up seeking assylum!

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have felt for a while this is the most sensible option, concentrate on the defence of our own country and dependents and stop fannying about in hot sandy places because someone else fancies a good dust up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I wonder if the USA says the same thing about us?

• Like Like x 1
  11. The yanks I've worked with love us, well they loved the REME anyway. Mainly for our ability to pack more beer into a fitter truck than spares.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

It's nice that you get on. But somehow I don't think the Joint Chiefs of Staff sit around saying "Yeah, the Brits are really useful in Afghanistan. There's always somewhere you can get a beer."

13. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

14. Their navy loves us more as we actually HAVE beer! :)

As for sharing resources, aren't we now sharing carriers with the frogs??

Sent from my iPhone using The Force