New Florida Anti-Crime Legislation

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by tomahawk6, Apr 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It will soon be legal for Florida residents to open fire on anyone they perceive to be a threat. This may be the civil version of a pre-emptive attack. 8)

On Yahoo News.

MIAMI (AFP) - Florida's legislature has approved a bill that would give residents the right to open fire against anyone they perceive as a threat in public, instead of having to try to avoid a conflict as under prevailing law.

Outraged opponents say the law will encourage Floridians to open fire first and ask questions later, fostering a sort of statewide Wild West shootout mentality. Supporters argue that criminals will think twice if they believe they are likely to be promptly shot when they assault someone.

Republican Governor Jeb Bush, who has said he plans to sign the bill, says it is "a good, commonsense, anti-crime issue."

Current state law allows residents to "shoot to kill if their property, such as their home or car, is invaded by an unknown assailant."

But it also states that if a resident is confronted or threatened in a public place, he or she must first try to avoid the confrontation or flee before taking any violent step in self defense against an assailant.

The bill, supported by the influential National Rifle Association, was approved by both houses of the Republican-run legislature on Tuesday.
  2. Now that news report is pure fiction. First off the law would not allow the use of deadly force "in public". The law as written SB-436 makes it very clear that the use of deadly force can only be used in defense of dwelling, residence or vehicle.

What this law does is remove the ridiculous notion that I have a duty to retreat from an intruder or attacker in my own house or vehicle.

The outraged opponents are probably the same crowd that were yelling "the streets will run with blood" and that "shoot outs on city streets will be common place" when Florida allowed CWP to be issued. As a matter of fact crime went down and has been declining and none of what the doom and nay sayers were spouting actually happened.
  3. Well said ctauch.

The year after Florida went to statewide CWP, rape dropped 60%, and violent crime dropped 37%.

Isn't it funny how in the States, the strickter the gun laws, the higher the crime rate...
  4. And isn't it funny how in places like the UK, gun crimes soar after gun ownership is blanket-banned?
  5. Not just gun crime, crime in general. Guns are not the problem "some" people are. A gun is a great equalizer; criminals are not willing, in most cases, to lose their lives while committing a criminal offence.

But hey that gun banned thing seems to be working for the UK, right? :oops:
  6. You're right. And as your great NRA president says, "Guns don't kill people, APES with guns kill people"!!!!

A shame that the little brother of my wife's best friend wouldn't have been able to shoot himself in the head if households didn't have guns lying around. Almost every Americans house I've been to in the Midwest has those ghastly things out in the open. Talk about irresponsible gun owners as much as you like, I think most people who leave these things unsecured do so because they're absolutely certain that no one in their household will abuse them, or because a gun locked away is no use to them when burglers enter the house. Whatever the logic, this is how tragedies are allowed to happen.

Now, what I can't understand - what I REALLY can't understand - is this: My wife and I live out in the woods, literally. The nearest houses are several hundred yards away. BUT, there's a busy road just 30 yards away that leads into some grottier Boston neighbourhoods.
    Why the HELL can't I buy a Taser, yet I can buy a handgun? I hate guns! I've seen what they do to people. But a Taser? A non-lethal weapon is banned in Massachusetts but I can get mysef a Beretta, I just don't get it.
    Actually, I do get it. Dead men tell no tales. 99.9% of people who get hit by Tasers survive, and then they sue. Damn our litigious societies!
  7. Sorry for your loss but the gun didn't kill him; his pulling the trigger did. A gun is an inantimate object and requires an action by a human to discharge a round which in turn may or may not be lethal.

As for guns lying around, more US household have lethal doses of perscription medication lying around then weapons. 8O

A taser is "less than lethal" not "non-lethal" :wink: