New fleet of RFA tankers named

Ministry of Defence said:
Four new Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) tankers, which will be bought as part of the Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability (MARS) programme, will be called the Tide Class.

More...

Cernunnos_RSS

drone....drone....reach.....survivability....capacity.....drone.....drone.....drone...golden rivets....drone.....painted grey....drone....the new ships are to be named....Tidemark....Skidmark....drone and Nomark

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
'Tiderace - after service in the Suez Crisis, the Tiderace was renamed the Tideflow to avoid confusion with another ship name'

[As posted by me on RR] Scuttlebutt was that the name change was because Jack rhymed it with Liberace ..

Do You wash in Tide ?

Yes of Course I was in Tide

Why do you was in Tide ?

Too Damn Cold Out Tide !

I know its old !!!

Are they fitted for but not with Jolly Sailor types.

Four new Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) tankers, which will be bought as part of the Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability

HMS Tesco Express, HMS Esso Shop, HMS Morrisons, HMS Sainsbury's...

As an aside, with four of them that must be one for each of our warships now.

Rodney2q

Or indeed four more 'task forces' for the MoD.

We'll get two... the others scrapped or sold off. Fitted for not with fuel pumps or hoses.

You beat me to it R2q

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Four new Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) tankers, which will be bought as part of the Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability

HMS Tesco Express, HMS Esso Shop, HMS Morrisons, HMS Sainsbury's...

As an aside, with four of them that must be one for each of our warships now.

Rodney2q
A pedant writes: it's RFA Tesco, not HMS Tesco. They are ships of the Royal Fleet Auxilliary, not warships. And these ships are a real example of good prucurement - they can afford to buy 4 rather than 2 plus 2 sometime in the future because they went out to tender and bought from the cheapest yard to meet the requirement, not the British yard, or the European yard.

[QUTE=re-stilly] Are they fitted for but not with Jolly Sailor types. [/QUOTE] Like most RFA's they will have a limited amount of austire accomadation for us, but seeing as they are not HM Ships there is no requirement to.

Call me old fashioned but they should and could have been built here. All this politico crap that they were tendered and the cheapest bid got the contract. That sort of argument doesn't take into account that we are keeping Koreans in work, skills and know how when we have 2million unemployed here that we will be paying to do bugger all.

A pedant writes: it's RFA Tesco, not HMS Tesco. They are ships of the Royal Fleet Auxilliary, not warships. And these ships are a real example of good prucurement - they can afford to buy 4 rather than 2 plus 2 sometime in the future because they went out to tender and bought from the cheapest yard to meet the requirement, not the British yard, or the European yard.
Meanwhile in other news, thousands of dockyard workers are continuing to laid off on unemployment benefits because of a lack of orders for new ships from the government.

Good procurement really works eh! Of course it does because it's not the Navy paying out the dole money, it's the government! Ohhh wait, itn't that the !!!!!!!

Call me old fashioned but they should and could have been built here. All this politico crap that they were tendered and the cheapest bid got the contract. That sort of argument doesn't take into account that we are keeping Koreans in work, skills and know how when we have 2million unemployed here that we will be paying to do bugger all.
Squeeze the MoD dry and then moan they are going to the cheapest bidder...

Sounds like a spotter of RFA tankers in our midst.

Reminds me of a lad I once worked with. He collected several tail fins fron IRA mortars. I asked him why? He responded by saying memories of his time in NI. I said.. "I have some sheep shite on the soles of my boots from the Falklands, do you want some?"
Spotter.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer

Yup, 2 million people, all of whom have the skills to build ships. Or we could train them to build these ships, pile cost upon cost, so we can only afford 1 or 2, then make them redundant when we can't export because our cost base is too high. Oh, and there isn't the yard capacilty in Britain to build them, for exactly the same reasons. BAE were offered these ships as single source and refused on those grounds. And finally, the only and mean only, British yard to join the competition used the strategy of building the hulls in the far east.

Meanwhile in other news, thousands of dockyard workers are continuing to laid off on unemployment benefits because of a lack of orders for new ships from the government.

Good procurement really works eh! Of course it does because it's not the Navy paying out the dole money, it's the government! Ohhh wait, itn't that the !!!!!!!
And again, joined up thinking is the governments fault... suck the RN dry and what do you expect them to do? Lay off sailers or scrap carriers so we can keep a load of dockys in jobs?

In the past we've managed to keep such systems going, but it appears people forget that if you strangle cash from your 'in country' consumers, they'll go to the cheapest bidder to maintain the ability to do the job they are there to do, rather than go to a 'in country' builder.

All very holistic I know.

A pedant writes: it's RFA Tesco, not HMS Tesco. They are ships of the Royal Fleet Auxilliary, not warships. And these ships are a real example of good procurement - they can afford to buy 4 rather than 2 plus 2 sometime in the future because they went out to tender and bought from the cheapest yard to meet the requirement, not the British yard, or the European yard.
Did they save enough to pay the dole of the British workers, and the interest on the cost of the 2 that could otherwise have gone to paying off some of the national debt? Assuming we won't need the other 2 till "sometime in the future".

and to add,

If we aren't prepared to build warships abroad for strategic reasons, then keeping our yards ticking over between our warship building requirements keeps them viable & reduces costs that we can't save abroad.

The last time we built RFA tankers in the UK (circa 2000, by BAES), they cost £150M each for two - something like five times what they would have done if built offshore.

Provided the design is right (the important bit, which is being done by UK), getting the most competent shipbuilding nation in the world (bar potentially the Japanese) to build them efficiently is by far the best solution and should have been progressed four years ago when they were first talking to the Koreans.

However, HMG in a stunning piece of spreadsheetery managed to cancel our programme in the middle of a worldwide shipbuilding recession (think of what that would have done to prices), in order to maintain the EPP spend profile.

The Koreans were also astonished / amused / aghast when, on offering to deliver the five (at the time) required in an eighteen month period, were told this was unacceptable to the UK, cos we couldn't accept them at that rate........

If we aren't prepared to build warships abroad for strategic reasons, then keeping our yards ticking over between our warship building requirements keeps them viable & reduces costs that we can't save abroad.
That's why I suggested, a fair while back, instead of a surge of ships every20 to 30 years we launch a new Frigate (i think) every 18 months or a new SSBN every 5...

Keeps a yard going, keeps the skills up and allows minor and major design changes to be incorperated in to the ever evolving fleet.

ie (design not ships) Type 23, a few minor mods later, 23.1, then 23.2, oopps, major mod = Type 24, 24.1, .2 etc