New Fleet Commander appointed to Royal Navy

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Dec 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Oh look the fleet commander gets a personal rubber ring. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence does it, what next personal white flag and IPod set?

3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Strangely enough the article doesn't mention the ever shrinking numbers of ships. Maybe Squadron Commander might be a more accurate title...

Wordsmith

4. My how times change…

Was a time when CinC handed over command of an entire Fleet of ships not just a rubber ring.

• Like Like x 2
  5. So the Navy gets ANOTHER Admiral's appointment, note that the previous incumbent was doing two jobs, one of which he retains while he's handed over one to the new bloke! How long till they have twice as many admirals as ships?

6. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Norman from Rum Ration walks amongst us......

7. Possibly NOW !

8. "I see no ships ....."

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Nelson Walt.

10. Nice white shirts and no hats ..all seems a bit chummy and cheesy looking.

11. Is this him?

244px-Jean-Luc_Picard_2.jpg

12. You're not kidding. Who has a bridge card handy? What size is today's fleet? About 20 major warships? I served with a bloke who led a squadron half that size when he was a newly promoted commander.

I fear we are entering Idi Amin territory. He made himself Admiral of the Fleet in a country that didn't have a fleet.

I bet the new CINCFLEET is looking forward to meeting his American opposite number. CNO is only one rank above CINCFLEET yet he commands hundreds of ships in the largest navy in the world.

13. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Get with the programme DaddyO. CINCFLEET is gone. Fleet Commander has replaced the role and is downgraded to a Vice Admiral.

We now have one Admiral in the Royal Navy, thats First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff. Next is Fleet Commander and Chief of Naval Personnel and Training (double hatted as Second Sea Lord). Both of those are Vice Admirals, Admiral Zambellas has gone to work for NATO as the Maritime Commander, which is a full Admirals post. However he is not working for the Royal Navy but in the Naval Service. Same way the senior Royal Marine is a Major General but there is a Lt General who works for NATO.

14. Or as my sainted dad used to say " Only flipping hardships"

15. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Don't come in here ruining a good rant with facts.