New Fleet Commander appointed to Royal Navy

Ministry of Defence said:
The Royal Navy has welcomed its newly-appointed Fleet Commander and Deputy Chief of Naval Staff at a handover ceremony in Portsmouth.

More...

Oh look the fleet commander gets a personal rubber ring. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence does it, what next personal white flag and IPod set?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Strangely enough the article doesn't mention the ever shrinking numbers of ships. Maybe Squadron Commander might be a more accurate title...

Wordsmith

My how times change…

Was a time when CinC handed over command of an entire Fleet of ships not just a rubber ring.

So the Navy gets ANOTHER Admiral's appointment, note that the previous incumbent was doing two jobs, one of which he retains while he's handed over one to the new bloke! How long till they have twice as many admirals as ships?

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
So the Navy gets ANOTHER Admiral's appointment, note that the previous incumbent was doing two jobs, one of which he retains while he's handed over one to the new bloke! How long till they have twice as many admirals as ships?

Norman from Rum Ration walks amongst us......

Possibly NOW !

"I see no ships ....."

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Strangely enough the article doesn't mention the ever shrinking numbers of ships. Maybe Squadron Commander might be a more accurate title...

Wordsmith
You're not kidding. Who has a bridge card handy? What size is today's fleet? About 20 major warships? I served with a bloke who led a squadron half that size when he was a newly promoted commander.

I fear we are entering Idi Amin territory. He made himself Admiral of the Fleet in a country that didn't have a fleet.

I bet the new CINCFLEET is looking forward to meeting his American opposite number. CNO is only one rank above CINCFLEET yet he commands hundreds of ships in the largest navy in the world.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Get with the programme DaddyO. CINCFLEET is gone. Fleet Commander has replaced the role and is downgraded to a Vice Admiral.

We now have one Admiral in the Royal Navy, thats First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff. Next is Fleet Commander and Chief of Naval Personnel and Training (double hatted as Second Sea Lord). Both of those are Vice Admirals, Admiral Zambellas has gone to work for NATO as the Maritime Commander, which is a full Admirals post. However he is not working for the Royal Navy but in the Naval Service. Same way the senior Royal Marine is a Major General but there is a Lt General who works for NATO.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Get with the programme DaddyO. CINCFLEET is gone. Fleet Commander has replaced the role and is downgraded to a Vice Admiral.

We now have one Admiral in the Royal Navy, thats First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff. Next is Fleet Commander and Chief of Naval Personnel and Training (double hatted as Second Sea Lord). Both of those are Vice Admirals, Admiral Zambellas has gone to work for NATO as the Maritime Commander, which is a full Admirals post. However he is not working for the Royal Navy but in the Naval Service. Same way the senior Royal Marine is a Major General but there is a Lt General who works for NATO.

Don't come in here ruining a good rant with facts.

Ergo, the number of Flag Officers has been reduced rather a lot...

Get with the programme DaddyO. CINCFLEET is gone. Fleet Commander has replaced the role and is downgraded to a Vice Admiral. .
Fleet Commander?

Any more cuts and it will be a senior Captain as Flotilla Commander

The loss of the 4* billet will be noticeable soon enough. At that level its as much about being a politician as it is about being a sailor. We will be overloading 1SL.
There is a VERY big difference between 3 & 4* in the eyes of our friends and allies.

You're not kidding. Who has a bridge card handy? What size is today's fleet? About 20 major warships? I served with a bloke who led a squadron half that size when he was a newly promoted commander.

I fear we are entering Idi Amin territory. He made himself Admiral of the Fleet in a country that didn't have a fleet.

I bet the new CINCFLEET is looking forward to meeting his American opposite number. CNO is only one rank above CINCFLEET yet he commands hundreds of ships in the largest navy in the world.
According to WIKI apart from Assault ships, subs and minesweepers the RN has just 18 Frigates and Destroyers in service.

The loss of the 4* billet will be noticeable soon enough. At that level its as much about being a politician as it is about being a sailor. We will be overloading 1SL.
There is a VERY big difference between 3 & 4* in the eyes of our friends and allies.
Do you honestly think our political masters even grasp that reality, that Vice Admirals run fuzzie wuzzie navies and people abroad expect 'proper' Admiral's to be running top tier navies?
It's going to rather hard to hang on to the mystique of being a top player on the global stage when you only have the same rank as the boss of the mighty Nigerian Navy.