• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

New fiver

I like the design

People on the bank notes should be A-List historical Figures

Glad to see the back of Elizabeth Fry who was decidedly D-List and put on out of Political correctness

Probably a smart little move in (a very small way) as a lot of those notes will be saved by foreign visitors and never spent

( Rather like the bank in NI that made a quick and easy £50m out of the George Best limited issue)

Not a fan of politicians or bankers on bank notes, even great ones!
What about famous army officers? Say maybe errrrrr Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, Hon. RA?

Or Nobel prize winning Authors? Say maybe errrrrr Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, Hon. RA

Thats just two off the top of my head, now I'm going to rip the head of it before I go to bed as it helps me sleep.

Probably a smart little move in (a very small way) as a lot of those notes will be saved by foreign visitors and never spent

( Rather like the bank in NI that made a quick and easy £50m out of the George Best limited issue)
Kind of been done once already; I imagine many of us of a certain vintage on here have one of these lurking somewhere among our meagre life's possessions:

Seems it's been done twice :) Whilst looking for the pic above I saw this, which I wasn't already aware of:

Done 2010. I've not had one in my change as far as I can remember.

No, because that would just lead to the situation where grown men, up and down the land, every time they opened their wallet to get some money out would crack the joke "can you tell what it is yet" while bored teenage shop assistants and pub staff looked at them blankly, with no idea what the fuck we were talking about!

What about famous army officers? Say maybe errrrrr Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, Hon. RA?

Or Nobel prize winning Authors? Say maybe errrrrr Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, Hon. RA

Thats just two off the top of my head, now I'm going to rip the head of it before I go to bed as it helps me sleep.
Bit of a looser when it came to dreaming up schemes involving "soft underbellies"!

How about Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill PM?

If you mean Gallipoli it was a very good scheme that would almost undoubtably have shortened the Great War. Unfortunately it was fucked up by timidity and incompetents on the part of the Admirals and Generals.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Agreed - also diverted Turkish resources from the main fronts in the Middle East. And he was right to persuade the Yanks to mount 'Torch' and after that the Sicily and Italian landings in WWII rather than a gung-ho, doomed to disaster assault across the Channel 'in '43. Mind you, he did meddle overmuch in the minutiae of military affairs and sacked at least two great generals, Wavell and 'the Auk' who had done great things with sod-all resources

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Agreed - also diverted Turkish resources from the main fronts in the Middle East. And he was right to persuade the Yanks to mount 'Torch' and after that the Sicily and Italian landings in WWII rather than a gung-ho, doomed to disaster assault across the Channel 'in '43. Mind you, he did meddle overmuch in the minutiae of military affairs and sacked at least two great generals, Wavell and 'the Auk' who had done great things with sod-all resources
Quite.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads