New fighting in Lebanon

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gnuorder, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

New fighting has broken out in Lebanon between Lebanese forces and an Islamic group with links to Al Qaeda, Fatah al-Islam. Of course, the usual suspects are blamed by Israel and the west, Syria and Iran, even though both have been jailing members of such groups.
  2. Ssshhhh don't tell Tony he'll have us back out there as well.
  3. Lebanon once a rich and bountiful resort of choice for the jetset, now slowly turning once again too rubble as they fight once more against themselves.

I dont really believe they need any encouragement from either the West or the East to engage in culling themselves! It is a terrible thing for those who want peace but i fear until the whole region is a smoking pile of ash it will never happen!
  4. Robert Fisk

So what in God's name happened in Lebanon yesterday?

Well, Mr Siniora claimed it was an attempt to destabilise Lebanon - a good guess, to put it mildly - and Saad Hariri, son of the former prime minister murdered here more than two years ago, called the armed men "evil-doers who had hijacked Islam". This is the same Saad Hariri whom at least one American reporter - I refer to Seymour Hersh - suggested was indirectly helping to funnel Saudi money to these same gunmen in a recent article in The New Yorker. The Shia Muslim Hizbollah are supposed to be the bad guys in this scenario, not a Sunni group.