New female infanteers - how's it going?

Truxx

LE
11 years ago then. Good to know you're so current :)
I think that the subject under discussion is a lot older than 11 years old. Plus you do not have a scooby what I have been up to in the meantime.

As an aside one unit under my command was the first field force squadron to get a female SSM. And that was back in the early 1990s, 30 years ago. So to coin a phrase I have seen it, done it and got the T shirt.

Now go and make yourself useful.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope, it wasn't a deliberate experiment, but yet another case of forgetting about the Reserves. The "disband the WRAC!" was followed by the inevitable "so... what should we STABs do?" and (in the absence of much thought) the local decision that "well, they stay with their parent unit, of course!".

Home Defence-roled TA infantry battalions had WRAC doing driving, signalling, medic, catering, LAD roles from the mid-1980s. While the catering types just put on an ACC cap badge, the signallers and drivers couldn't suddenly turn into R SIGNALS or RLC; so the women holding a Dvr/Op slot put on their infantry cap badge. The next Director Infantry now discovered that he had career paths to manage, and recruit training to worry about. Rather than accept the facts on the ground, he eventually declared that there were to be no women with infantry cap badges*
My bold. Except that's pretty much exactly what happened when we 'created' 158 Regt RLC - training infantrymen to be drivers is not too onerous, more challenging for the NCOs and officers to get their heads around logistics, but not impossible. I don't think too many were lost in the rebadging but it probably took a while to avoid every w/e being 'infantry skills'.

bob231

War Hero
My bold. Except that's pretty much exactly what happened when we 'created' 158 Regt RLC - training infantrymen to be drivers is not too onerous, more challenging for the NCOs and officers to get their heads around logistics, but not impossible. I don't think too many were lost in the rebadging but it probably took a while to avoid every w/e being 'infantry skills'.
Can confirm (my old unit). I went through when it was only the old and bold who were ex 5 R ANGLIAN, but there was still a bit of a infantry mindset and a certain pride in being "better" at infantry skills than our fellow RLC. I was too young and too junior to recognise much more about the training.

It says a lot that the cap badge only changed to GS blue in something like 2015.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Can confirm (my old unit). I went through when it was only the old and bold who were ex 5 R ANGLIAN, but there was still a bit of a infantry mindset and a certain pride in being "better" at infantry skills than our fellow RLC. I was too young and too junior to recognise much more about the training.

It says a lot that the cap badge only changed to GS blue in something like 2015.
Retaining a khaki beret was all they were interested in during the planning phase. It takes time for these things to change - no longer 158 (R ANGLIAN) Regt either!

Truxx

LE
On the contrary.

A tiny handful (double figures at moest) buggered off elsewhere, the rest stayed. Recruiting, however, went through the roof and within a handful of months manning was over 110% ( which became an issue)

It took about 3 weekends to stop buggering about with the old and getting on with the new (not that we got much help from the RCT on that score, luckily DCOS Land was a truckie and an enthusiastic supporter).

At the time logistics as a whole were less of a challenge to imbue than straightforward truckie stuff, but it was nevertheless fascinating. Especially as key permanent staff, such as CO and RSM were dyed in the wool regular Inf.

According to a friend....

Truxx

LE
Retaining a khaki beret was all they were interested in during the planning phase. It takes time for these things to change - no longer 158 (R ANGLIAN) Regt either!
As far as the R ANGLIAN were concerned the vital ground was retaining a TA centre in each of the counties whose Regiments had amalgamated to form the R ANGLIAN and the distribution of the mess silver. The beret thing was a side issue. The fact that in doing so they gave up the 4 richest recruiting areas in the East of England (Peterborough, Leicester, Bedford and Ipswich) was of no consequence to the old and bold.

Who'd of thought - I was 5 Royal Anglian based in Hemel Hempstead, before I joined the Regs.

Don't hear them mentioned often.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
On the contrary.

A tiny handful (double figures at moest) buggered off elsewhere, the rest stayed. Recruiting, however, went through the roof and within a handful of months manning was over 110% ( which became an issue)

It took about 3 weekends to stop buggering about with the old and getting on with the new (not that we got much help from the RCT on that score, luckily DCOS Land was a truckie and an enthusiastic supporter).

At the time logistics as a whole were less of a challenge to imbue than straightforward truckie stuff, but it was nevertheless fascinating. Especially as key permanent staff, such as CO and RSM were dyed in the wool regular Inf.

According to a friend....
I think we're actually agreeing that not many left - my point about 'infantry skills' w/e was from a member of the regiment some time after formation (on here actually).

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
As far as the R ANGLIAN were concerned the vital ground was retaining a TA centre in each of the counties whose Regiments had amalgamated to form the R ANGLIAN and the distribution of the mess silver. The beret thing was a side issue. The fact that in doing so they gave up the 4 richest recruiting areas in the East of England (Peterborough, Leicester, Bedford and Ipswich) was of no consequence to the old and bold.
My bold - you may think so. I was on the 'steering group' or whatever it was and it was a top priority along with retaining R ANGLIAN in the title! Retention of TACs was an interesting one - along with the ability to get training vehicles into them...

Truxx

LE
My bold - you may think so. I was on the 'steering group' or whatever it was and it was a top priority along with retaining R ANGLIAN in the title! Retention of TACs was an interesting one - along with the ability to get training vehicles into them...
The weirdest thing about the last point was the utter disfunctional nature of the estates, each TAVRA jealously clinging on to the money and the design. A standard 3 or 4 bay training/servicing drive through building was designed yet getting a single design past the byzantine system seemed beyond reason.

My -er- friend still has his beret, and a picture of Miss World wearing it....

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
The other day I saw a group of teenagers in military style kit with blue sports tops with the letters MPTC. THey were off for some phys at Copthall sports centre. This private military college prepares young people to join the amry - sort of private Harrogate lite. I spoke to one of them, a plump but not fat teenaged girl who told me she wanted to join the infantry and become a sniper. Good luck to her?

The other day I saw a group of teenagers in military style kit with blue sports tops with the letters MPTC. THey were off for some phys at Copthall sports centre. This private military college prepares young people to join the amry - sort of private Harrogate lite. I spoke to one of them, a plump but not fat teenaged girl who told me she wanted to join the infantry and become a sniper. Good luck to her?
We’ll at least she (and the future generation of female infanteers) will have more utility on future operations than the soon to be disbanded bunch of dripping quims at RAF Honnington

Latest Threads