New female infanteers - how's it going?

Are you moving the goalposts or just ignoring the the SCR because its inconvenient?

But if you want to talk about the new tab.

The first part is less than 3 miles an hour, an average walking pace is 4 miles an hour. Obviously they are carrying 40Kgs but Im sure soldiers can manage a snails pace carrying weight.

The second part is 2km with 25km in 15 minutes, an old CFT pace used to be around 13-14 minutes for 1.6km. A little bit faster (a 12 minute pace) however unlike the old CFT you dont have to continue for another 11Km.

The total distance of both parks of the test is 6km, it use to be 13km.

You said you were infantry so Im assuming you know this already.
First part 41kilos
second part 26 kilos
third part down to around 9.5kilos give or take a kilo

pain in the arse to get right losing weight honest….until you get the right weight ratio sorted

What "standards"? Draw a line from being able to run a 2.4km in a certain time to being able to do your job as a soldier.

I would imagine that it will be linked to VO2 max and being able to operate for a period aerobically and anaerobically.

This might be section/platoon attacks, carrying a casualty and having to run/fast walk, run with weight etc.

A clean fatigue run in trainers is a good way to improve VO2 max and to judge it. Bleep tests also.

It's not really just the Tabbing part of it. It's all the other add ons. Dragging kit, lifting kit, moving kit. (for kit read weights). All of these tests done one after the other on same day.

It's not really just the Tabbing part of it. It's all the other add ons. Dragging kit, lifting kit, moving kit. (for kit read weights). All of these tests done one after the other on same day.

They arent that hard. My RLC unit did most of them as a practice. The pulling of a casualty burned the legs a bit but even the females did it.

The CFT used to have additional tests like the fireman carry, wall climb (get on the back of the lorry) and ditch jump.

Also if its a regimental effort, there is lots of rest periods as there isn't enough PTIs/Equipment to go around.

They arent that hard. My RLC unit did most of them as a practice. The pulling of a casualty burned the legs a bit but even the females did it.

The CFT used to have additional tests like the fireman carry, wall climb (get on the back of the lorry) and ditch jump.

Also if its a regimental effort, there is lots of rest periods as there isn't enough PTIs/Equipment to go around.

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is that i disagree with one standard for all.

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is that i disagree with one standard for all.

There will be different standard for teeth arms and support arms.

I cant wait to see the support arms version. They'll be army cadets will higher standards.

I only realised the other day that the Navy and RAF have higher run standards than the army.

Are you moving the goalposts or just ignoring the the SCR because its inconvenient?

But if you want to talk about the new tab.

The first part is less than 3 miles an hour, an average walking pace is 4 miles an hour. Obviously they are carrying 40Kgs but Im sure soldiers can manage a snails pace carrying weight.

The second part is 2km with 25km in 15 minutes, an old CFT pace used to be around 13-14 minutes for 1.6km. A little bit faster (a 12 minute pace) however unlike the old CFT you dont have to continue for another 11Km.

The total distance of both parks of the test is 6km, it use to be 13km.

You said you were infantry so Im assuming you know this already.

I’ll happily agree, the new SCR is easier than the PFA.

I am infantry, but not in an infantry role so am admittedly very rusty. However, in all of my AFT experience, I don’t remember someone failing much more than 4 miles in.

So I don’t think reducing the distance but increasing the weight is making it easier. Especially when the other tasks come after.

I’m sure a scientist could explain how the difference between but my gut is the RFT is harder than an AFT.

Last edited:
I’ll happily agree, the new SCR is easier than the PFA.

I am infantry, but not in an infantry role so am admittedly very rusty. However, in all of my AFT experience, I don’t remember someone failing much more than 4 miles in.

So I don’t think reducing the distance but increasing the weight is making it easier. Especially when the other tasks come after.

I’m sure a scientist could explain how the difference between but my gut is the RFT is harder than an AFT.

Have you ever done Nijmegan? Its longer but at a slower pace, its certainly harder than a AFT.

The old system was 13 kms in 2 hours. The new one is 6k in 1.05 (With a 10 minute break in between the two tests.

Less distance, slower time vs additional weight at the start and a slightly faster finish.

For a little more insight, even in an inf bn I knew a good few people who failed PFA/CFT, I know of no one who has failed SCR/RFT (caveat: the PTIs tell me you can't actually *fail* SCR, as it's a review not a pass/fail event)

I would imagine that it will be linked to VO2 max and being able to operate for a period aerobically and anaerobically.

This might be section/platoon attacks, carrying a casualty and having to run/fast walk, run with weight etc.

A clean fatigue run in trainers is a good way to improve VO2 max and to judge it. Bleep tests also.

Apart from the fact VO2 Max is but one indication of fitness. Mo Farah or Laura Muir can run the 2.4km a damn sight faster than anyone in Service, but I'd suggest they're not a great exemplar of someone who is "fit" enough to conduct the tasks you described.

For a little more insight, even in an inf bn I knew a good few people who failed PFA/CFT, I know of no one who has failed SCR/RFT (caveat: the PTIs tell me you can't actually *fail* SCR, as it's a review not a pass/fail event)

But I thought the Infantry were fitness gods, whose standards were unimpeachable.

Apart from the fact VO2 Max is but one indication of fitness. Mo Farah or Laura Muir can run the 2.4km a damn sight faster than anyone in Service, but I'd suggest they're not a great exemplar of someone who is "fit" enough to conduct the tasks you described.

That’s why the run, was but one test of fitness.

I’ve never had to do a regain over a static tank in full CEFO on Ops, however it’s a test of upper body strength and agility under pressure and is part of a physical assessment that will indicate someone’s ability at specific things.

Have you ever done Nijmegan? Its longer but at a slower pace, its certainly harder than a AFT.

The old system was 13 kms in 2 hours. The new one is 6k in 1.05 (With a 10 minute break in between the two tests.

Less distance, slower time vs additional weight at the start and a slightly faster finish.
I haven’t done Nijmegen. But it also wasn’t an annual test for the infantry.

the old system did not require soldiers to do anything after the 8 miles to complete their MATT 2. The new system does, which is why I believe it is actually harder than just the old AFT.

First female officer going to Para Regt this intake I hear.
Really Trigger? Have you not bothered reading the thread?

the old system did not require soldiers to do anything after the 8 miles to complete their MATT 2. The new system does, which is why I believe it is actually harder than just the old AFT.
You never served with the RE then, The CFT/AFT was the easy part

Actually it did, as I said earlier, the fireman lift, the wall climb and ditch jump. All quietly dropped over the years.

The additional tests are a piece of piss, I would expect anyone of average fitness to manage them. 55 seconds to crawl 15 metres and then sprint 15 metres?

Actually it did, as I said earlier, the fireman lift, the wall climb and ditch jump. All quietly dropped over the years.

The additional tests are a piece of piss, I would expect anyone of average fitness to manage them. 55 seconds to crawl 15 metres and then sprint 15 metres?
Dropped when? When were they part of MATT 2? I remember the ACFT and the RMTs, one of which was a loaded march took place over two days, but it wasn’t a requirement for MATT 2.