New female infanteers - how's it going?

Just curious as when I went through the TA CIC in 1997, there were several girls on the course. I didn't really notice at the time as I was too tired and cold to care, but women never appeared at my Bn, 5 PWRR.

Then I saw that a couple of girls have very recently joined PWRR and Rifles!

Has the amount of kit they had had to carry on the ICFT been reduced?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Female combat troops will carry the kit required of the role, not tailored to anyone's gender etc

What paper are you from?

Maybe the same one that pays you to be all over Every. Single. Thread. On. This. Site.

Were you Naval Inf? I think the Russians do that at Pechenga.
it's because I add very little to the RN, and in an attempt to justify my existence, I am actually a crack member of 77 Bde's social media influencer team.

@stab turned crab has been a member of this site for 7 years, although not a prolific poster, I would like to think he is allowed to post without the 'journo' retort, usually reserved for newbies with a searching question.

Just sayin...
That's more than fair enough. There are a handful of ARRSErs who are prolific posters (some even seem to be on perma-send depending on the topic). Some just dip in and out and spend more time reading than actively contributing.

I am a member of a football fans forum and in the 13 years I've been a member I've made just 238 posts yet I login on an almost daily basis to keep up to date. I don't get any criticism for my low number of posts.

Some people prefer quantity to quality but I don't think that's necessarily a good measure to go by as evidenced by a few on this site.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
it's because I add very little to the RN, and in an attempt to justify my existence, I am actually a crack member of 77 Bde's social media influencer team.
Kim Kardashian walt!

This thread is only going to upset certain ARRSErs who delude themselves they were good soldiers.

Cyberhacker

War Hero
I can't comment about the infantry, but my local fire station is very careful with the rostering, when the girls are on crew, to ensure that some heavy lifters are also available.

The lasses are very capable at most of the job, just are not able to carry some of the equipment.

I can't comment about the infantry, but my local fire station is very careful with the rostering, when the girls are on crew, to ensure that some heavy lifters are also available.

The lasses are very capable at most of the job, just are not able to carry some of the equipment.
If only they could be kept for bungalow fires

DarkBrig

War Hero
That's more than fair enough. There are a handful of ARRSErs who are prolific posters (some even seem to be on perma-send depending on the topic). Some just dip in and out and spend more time reading than actively contributing.

I am a member of a football fans forum and in the 13 years I've been a member I've made just 238 posts yet I login on an almost daily basis to keep up to date. I don't get any criticism for my low number of posts.

Some people prefer quantity to quality but I don't think that's necessarily a good measure to go by as evidenced by a few on this site.
Agree See my sig block

That's handy, given how unimportant kit is.

Just curious as when I went through the TA CIC in 1997, there were several girls on the course. I didn't really notice at the time as I was too tired and cold to care, but women never appeared at my Bn, 5 PWRR.

Then I saw that a couple of girls have very recently joined PWRR and Rifles!

Has the amount of kit they had had to carry on the ICFT been reduced?
I think that TA Home Defence battalions in the eighties had female infantry soldiers in their ranks. The same with Yeomanry regiments. They were trained in house at that time. If the unit became BAOR roled they couldn't serve in a rifle section but could stay in other roles in the unit. For some reason in the early nineties they stoped women serving in a front line role in all TA units for some reason.

In 10 Para in the nineties they had women in support roles, but they were not badged Para Regt. In the late nineties the battalion was running a recruitment campaign in the press. A women rang up and spoke to a PSI saying that she wanted to do all this warry stuff advertised such as jumping from the sky and raining death and destruction on HM's enemies at the weekend. The PSI laughed and said she could be a cook if she wanted to. She took the MOD to court and won £2,000 for hurt feelings.

After that they let women join but they had to do a recruit cadre including TA PCompany with the male recruits. I saw one or two on the cadre including one pretty dark haired petite young female who was apparently a jouralist. I don't think she passed though as I didn't see her again. It couldn't be easy being the only female amongst 20 or 30 macho young men wanting to be Paratroopers.