Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Fast Jets for Ireland?

I was living there in 2008 when the financial crash happened and the common theme even from people who had never done the "the feckin' brits thing" was that Britain was somehow screwing Ireland.
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall then in Ireland when the result of the Brexit vote came in, in 2016.

I was looking at a list of Irish Defence Force barracks on Wiki. All of them without exception were former British Army Barracks built in Victorian times and handed over in 1922 like Cathal Brugha barracks in Dublin and the Curragh. The Curragh looks exactly like a lot of the old barracks in Tidworth.

As seen in this interesting video from 1975.

Has much changed since then @Stovepipe @irlsgt?

ETA: Obviously uniforms and equipment have changed greatly since then, I mean the general outlook.

Last edited:
Any bookworms on here? Reason I ask was there’s as I remember it a 1980s or 1990s spy thriller book with Mig 23 on the front flying above a burning field.

The plot ?

Ireland gets overrun by terrorists not talking bout the ones up north but by a consortium of Linyans, etc et. From around the world and using Ireland as a base.

Anyhow back to reality and Baldonnel has PC-9 which could easily be armed or probably are armed with rockets. last jet they had was the Fouga Magister and before that DeHavilland Vampire or Venom.

But straying aside their aircrew especially the budding pilots that and train on pair of Airbus Helicopters H135 (plus one for Garda ASU) then fly five Leonardo AW139 are not Training at Fort Rucker on the Airbus Helicopters UH-72A Lakota

The IAC is also ordered pair of Airbus Defense C295 probably tp replace their c235 or complement them ..

View attachment 543754

So is there many punts sorry Euros left in their kitty

cheers
The PC9s are armed with rockets and MG pods

The Gardai have 2 EC135s

there are 6 AW139s

the reason I think for this once off sending a small number of pilots to the US for heli training is a lack of sufficient instructors. There are also a small number in Australia working I think on multi engine hours building. These are both firsts for the AC.

The C295s are replacing the CN235s

I posted something that touched a nerve, I thought it better to explain why I posted it.

I have seen mention on here in the past about the way Irishman who fought for Britain in the world wars were treated on returning to Ireland. To be fair my Grandad never had any of that after coming over to join the army in 1940 so I don't know how much of that actually happened. He just came back to Britain after a few years back in Ireland as after seeing a bit of the outside world he couldn't get on with the narrow minded small inbred community he went back to. Even going over there ( a few miles south of the border) as little kids in the 70s and early 80s my dad never got the anti british thing.

Most of my mum's siblings married brits and came over here in the 60s.....more was said about them marrying outside the village than was about the blokes being Brits. Speaking to the ones significantly older than myself they never noticed the anti brit sentiment until well into the 80s and that is seems to be worse now. It seems to be more of a thing now than it used to be. I really don't know what that is about.
The feelings you are talking about is the treatment of those who deserted from the Irish Defence Forces to go an fight in the war.

my own feelings .... what happened them and their families was wrong.... they should have been tried and punished if found guilty as allowed by law...

The feelings you are talking about is the treatment of those who deserted from the Irish Defence Forces to go an fight in the war.
AWOL surely - even if its semantic to an extent - Desertion evokes images of abandoning friends / countrymen/ duty in the face / threat of battle. It has to be said these chaps did exactly the opposite - whether you ahre with their choice or not.

Them being called deserters always struck me as spite by the state and by evoking that negative image justifying their subsequent mistreatment.

This is what passes for mainstream entertainment on the television with these people.

How many cool heads were trying to reign Varadka on when he was having a dig in at us when they thought we were on the ropes over Brexit.....none wasn't it.

They are not our friends, there are a good number of individual people who will always do the right thing simply because it is the right thing to do but there are a hell of a lot who wish us nothing but ill.
“The Savage Eye” is tongue in cheek comedy satire (and not very good at it). It dates from 2009 and only 25 episodes were made. From what I remember it was normally on about 11pm... not exactly primetime

Not surprising after the spineless wonders in Dublin buckled after the ECB President, Jean Claude Trichet, warned that an economic bomb would go off in Dublin if they pursued the option of imposing losses on senior bondholders.
Those senior bond holders were banks all across the world. The boom before the bust in Ireland was funded by all foreign money lent to banks by foreign banks. Unfortunately it was the responsible thing to do. The recession was hard but Ireland came through the other side and in some ways is better for it but we will feel the effects for a long time.

I was living there in 2008 when the financial crash happened and the common theme even from people who had never done the "the feckin' brits thing" was that Britain was somehow screwing Ireland. We are the baddy who is behind every misfortune that befalls them for far too many of them and they really need to just get over it..
That’s Kerry for you.

there is one thing the “brits” did that helped cause the recession here. Bank of Scotland brought in the 100% mortgage. But they were allowed to.

I agree with half of what you say, but remember what we see as the attitude of the entire population is being conflated with what that clown Leo said and what their pro Brussels media pushes out.

In 2018 an Irish Freedom Party was established to push for an Irish exit from the EU. Not so long ago, Farage was once mocked and derided.
The Irish Government stance on Brexit has been well supported all the way through and still is. There is no such thing as a good deal for Ireland once the U.K. decided to leave the Customs Union. Even Sinn Fein (that would have been the biggest anti EU party went pro EU before the Brexit vote) broadly speaking supported the Government stance

you have to remember that you are more than likely consuming a portrayal from the British media that backed Brexit.

oh yes the very popular Irish Freedom Party, ultra right wing party co-founded by a former press officer for Farage. They ran 10 candidates in the last election and got less than 5,500 votes between them. No seats. There is also the similar Irish National Party who got less than 5,000 votes between their 10 candidates.

AWOL surely - even if its semantic to an extent - Desertion evokes images of abandoning friends / countrymen/ duty in the face / threat of battle. It has to be said these chaps did exactly the opposite - whether you ahre with their choice or not.

Them being called deserters always struck me as spite by the state and by evoking that negative image justifying their subsequent mistreatment.
If they left their service without intention to returning that is desertion.

the declaration of “the Emergency” put them under active service in law.

the treatment that they received was wrong imho they should have received fair trials.

the penalty under the law at the time was even more severe

No
They train for ground attack and air intercept
I suppose its a way of keeping a skill alive to a limited extent -

It just struck me as an odd thing fot the IAF to do - 3rd world countries with troublesome neighbours and or insurgencies an armed prop trainer makes sense.
A 1st world nation surrounded by 1st world states - not so much

This isnt an attack im trying to get the rationelle.

I suppose its a way of keeping a skill alive to a limited extent -

It just struck me as an odd thing fot the IAF to do - 3rd world countries with troublesome neighbours and or insurgencies an armed prop trainer makes sense.
A 1st world nation surrounded by 1st world states - not so much

This isnt an attack im trying to get the rationelle.
By that rational most of Western Europe doesn’t need militaries

By that rational most of Western Europe doesn’t need militaries

No thats not the case at all - it means that they need to be more capable to act as detterrents - Ireland because of its location doesnt need this hence lack of fighters.*

*If it did it would be looking at Grippens not Meteors as it would need something credible in face of the surrounding 1st world nations ( whichever it is bothering it so it feels compelled to invest heavily in defence)

there is one thing the “brits” did that helped cause the recession here. Bank of Scotland brought in the 100% mortgage. But they were allowed to.
Not just that over here, various banks were giving mortgages with a nod and a wink when both sides knew the borrower was lying about their ability to pay back.

Lots of people trying to get a mortgage gambling they could afford repayments for the first year or two and get out with a huge profit before their inability to repay the mortgage caught up with them as in some areas prices were going up in double figures each year.

It was as near as British lenders could get to the American liar loan mortgages, my brother worked for one of the big american banks in London and a few years earlier had told me what he saw coming, that was the first time I heard the phrase liar loans. It happened a couple of years earlier than he expected but it was obvious to people who were keeping an eye on what was going on in the US something big and really bad was going to happen once all the bad debt caught up with the dodgy lenders.

Once the balloon went up in the US the idiots who had been playing games this side of the atlantic were screwed.

Last edited:
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall then in Ireland when the result of the Brexit vote came in, in 2016.
I would have thought some laughing in certain quarters initially as we had "shot ourselves in the foot", and once they remembered which dirty great lump of rock sits between them and the rest of the EU a large collective gulp.

Between the vaccine fiasco and whatever clampdowns on taxation, banking systems, rising contributions and then the cherry on the cake having to repay the huge covid fund I wonder if Ireland will be looking at the exit door in the next few years. It was interesting to find out on here yesterday that an Irish equivalent of the brexit party has been started up, I can see them getting some traction.

That probably would be the end for a lot of European fishing boats. The sea needs a bloody rest from all the plundering of fish stocks so I would be happy to see that.

Latest Threads