Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Fast Jets for Ireland?

Expectation.

Life as an Air Cadet in the early 90's watching Topgun on a wobbly TV in a crew room whilst waiting to be strapped into a 1950's trainer that was more tape than machine. Although I think your Chipmunks a model!

Happy memories from the mid to late 80's also.

I got to fly in a Bulldog a couple of times in the 90's too...

Expectation.

Life as an Air Cadet in the early 90's watching Topgun on a wobbly TV in a crew room whilst waiting to be strapped into a 1950's trainer that was more tape than machine. Although I think your Chipmunks a model!
Either that, or the work on invisibility has been massively successful.
Anyway, one for Stovepipe or Irlsgt, how are the Irish Military regarded by Joe public?

Mostly well regarded. The DF continuously touts it's UN service record / service to the State in time of crisis/great job opportunities etc,etc and is well accomplished at turning out glossy videos and so on, but it is seriously affected by a continuous drain in manpower, especially of skilled technical people. Entry at all levels is still sought after, as they genuinely give great educational opportunities to joiners, be they recruit, apprentice or cadet. The negative narrative is that pay is not great. It's not as bad as some claim it to be but young people believe that they can earn more outside working in IT/pharma/STEM companies,which is often the case. The Navy have tied up two ships for lack of manpower, the Air Corps have brought in furloughed airline pilots and have offered techs money to come back (although they paid a lot more for the furloughed pilots, which immediately pissed off the potentially returning techs,who have stayed away in droves). So,public perception, good to very good. Actual reality, not great.

Mostly well regarded. The DF continuously touts it's UN service record / service to the State in time of crisis/great job opportunities etc,etc and is well accomplished at turning out glossy videos and so on, but it is seriously affected by a continuous drain in manpower, especially of skilled technical people. Entry at all levels is still sought after, as they genuinely give great educational opportunities to joiners, be they recruit, apprentice or cadet. The negative narrative is that pay is not great. It's not as bad as some claim it to be but young people believe that they can earn more outside working in IT/pharma/STEM companies,which is often the case. The Navy have tied up two ships for lack of manpower, the Air Corps have brought in furloughed airline pilots and have offered techs money to come back (although they paid a lot more for the furloughed pilots, which immediately pissed off the potentially returning techs,who have stayed away in droves). So,public perception, good to very good. Actual reality, not great.

very well regarded but there is also a vocal “who’s going to invade us” part, as well as some who prefer them to be armed with nothing more than an ASP for armed peacekeeping/enforcement ops. They would be in the minority.

the DF are the lowest paid in the public sector sector since around 2008 or so. The wages were competitive prior to that.

no furloughed pilots were taken into the Air Corps, former Air Corps pilots (no doubt they were probably furloughed airline pilots in civvyland) were taken back on

very well regarded but there is also a vocal “who’s going to invade us” part, as well as some who prefer them to be armed with nothing more than an ASP for armed peacekeeping/enforcement ops. They would be in the minority.

the DF are the lowest paid in the public sector sector since around 2008 or so. The wages were competitive prior to that.

no furloughed pilots were taken into the Air Corps, former Air Corps pilots (no doubt they were probably furloughed airline pilots in civvyland) were taken back on

If the public perception is so high, then why do successive governments not fund their military properly? Until I read your post and the reply from Stovepipe I thought the military were seen as a necessary evil and nothing more than an object for derision (See Savage Eye above)

If the public perception is so high, then why do successive governments not fund their military properly? Until I read your post and the reply from Stovepipe I thought the military were seen as a necessary evil and nothing more than an object for derision (See Savage Eye above)
Pretty much what I thought, which is why I asked the question.

Five pilots and 1 eng officer were taken back on. The five pilots were furloughed from their airline and were available.

Defence is regarded as a political and civil service backwater. The seat of Defence Minister is routinely handed around like a smelly fish, as ambitious pols and CS types regard it as the last place to be for anyone with ambitions of high office. They don't want to fund it properly and the last Taoiseach to fund Defence seriously was Charles Haughey and that was decades ago. The DF tends to run from funding crisis to crisis and while the Govt occasionally likes to buy big ticket items and make lots of shiny videos of same, it often neglects the basic DF infrastructure until they are either an eyesore or a health hazard, so you get crumbling barracks, crumbling dockyards,workshops and vehicle parks falling apart. The Defence budget is unusual in that a significant part of it is pay or pensions, unlike every other CS pay scale or pension which comes from the general State budget. So the Govt might say that they spent EU 1 billion in a fiscal year on Defence, the reality is that a huge chunk of that is pay and pensions. Also, a significant amount of money comes from the EU (half the cost of maritime aircraft borne by the EU) or the UN (costs of UN missions largely borne by UN. Govt actually makes a profit from UN srevice,which is one of the reasons why they are so keen to pursue UN missions). Essentially,the Govt want the shiny pics for the photo opportunities and the reflected glory and for parades but they don't want to fund anything unless the EU makes them, yet, as always, they want the DF to make do and mend and keep on keeping on.
Irish comedians do like to take the piss; David McSavage learnt his contempt from his dad, who despite serving as Minister for Defence twice, famously sneered his appointment to the role as "the Minister for fish and ships" (when it was jointly Fisheries and Defence).

Defence is regarded as a political and civil service backwater. The seat of Defence Minister is routinely handed around like a smelly fish, as ambitious pols and CS types regard it as the last place to be for anyone with ambitions of high office. They don't want to fund it properly and the last Taoiseach to fund Defence seriously was Charles Haughey and that was decades ago. The DF tends to run from funding crisis to crisis and while the Govt occasionally likes to buy big ticket items and make lots of shiny videos of same, it often neglects the basic DF infrastructure until they are either an eyesore or a health hazard, so you get crumbling barracks, crumbling dockyards,workshops and vehicle parks falling apart. The Defence budget is unusual in that a significant part of it is pay or pensions, unlike every other CS pay scale or pension which comes from the general State budget. So the Govt might say that they spent EU 1 billion in a fiscal year on Defence, the reality is that a huge chunk of that is pay and pensions. Also, a significant amount of money comes from the EU (half the cost of maritime aircraft borne by the EU) or the UN (costs of UN missions largely borne by UN. Govt actually makes a profit from UN srevice,which is one of the reasons why they are so keen to pursue UN missions). Essentially,the Govt want the shiny pics for the photo opportunities and the reflected glory and for parades but they don't want to fund anything unless the EU makes them, yet, as always, they want the DF to make do and mend and keep on keeping on.
Irish comedians do like to take the piss; David McSavage learnt his contempt from his dad, who despite serving as Minister for Defence twice, famously sneered his appointment to the role as "the Minister for fish and ships" (when it was jointly Fisheries and Defence).

I really should be surprised but after reading so much from serving and ex on these pages, your post is confirmation. It's pretty disgusting that politicians of all hues have such a low opinion of the people who do the dirty work. Those wonderfully patriotic politicians in Dublin really are in a class of their own.

in the past EU money funded half the purchase price (ex weapons) of at least 2 of the current NS OPVs and the 2 current MPAs. Not so sure if that is the case with the latest 4 OPVs And 2 future MPAs.

not sure in the past but in the last 20+ years, the UN money hasn’t even covered the allowances paid to those overseas never mind make a profit.

any of the EU missions, we had a Bn minus in Chad (at the height of the recession) and more recently a ship in the Med, are State funded

in the past EU money funded half the purchase price (ex weapons) of at least 2 of the current NS OPVs and the 2 current MPAs. Not so sure if that is the case with the latest 4 OPVs And 2 future MPAs.

not sure in the past but in the last 20+ years, the UN money hasn’t even covered the allowances paid to those overseas never mind make a profit.

any of the EU missions, we had a Bn minus in Chad (at the height of the recession) and more recently a ship in the Med, are State funded

Do forces deployed on UN tours get their UN pay or is it withheld to offset the cost of the deployment ?

I guess I should have spelled out what I took from that sketch.

"its the feckin' Brits" "its the feckin' Brits" "its the feckin' Brits" The Irish that fought for us getting the piss taken out of them was just collateral damage.

7 seconds in "the feckin' Brits" see us as animals.

27 seconds in "the feckin' Brits" are happy to send the Mick stupid enough to fight for them in first.

32 seconds in "the feckin' Brits" laugh that the Mick stupid enough to fight for them got killed.

My post was a reaction to Mike Barton saying that the Irish are our best friends. This is what passes for mainstream entertainment on the television with these people. Most of my family are Irish, and all but two got out of the place, most coming over here (two courtesy of the british army when Ireland couldn't provide them with jobs). The two that stayed over there are going to die in the village they were born in and are the typical small minded "the brits are this the brits are that" lot. The rest are just happy to be away from that mind set.

I have holidayed over there a fair bit, the fishing is a lot better than over here and I like the solitude, I even lived over there for a couple of years. There are a handful of Irish people I know who I would trust with my life, the vast majority I have met I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. All too many of them view patriotism as hating Britain rather than loving their own country and would never miss the opportunity to stick the boot in if they get the chance. How many cool heads were trying to reign Varadka on when he was having a dig in at us when they thought we were on the ropes over Brexit.....none wasn't it.

They are not our friends, there are a good number of individual people who will always do the right thing simply because it is the right thing to do but there are a hell of a lot who wish us nothing but ill. If they could put the past behind them and just get on with doing what is best for Ireland and be more pragmatic when dealing with us rather than reverting to type and trying to get one over " the feckin' brits" whenever the opportunity presents itself I would wish them well, as they just can't seem to miss an opportunity to have a pop at us sod them.
Lot more are our friends than are against us.

Patriotism as hating other places? You might want to wander round the threads on here...

It's a middling satire channel...here it is taking the piss out of the Irish.

I've been here 26 years in April and have never experienced any anti Britishness. I have a fairly neutral accent but still obviously an English accent. Even in inner city Dublin which can be a total shit storm. Have had more hassle in Scotland with the accent. See the confusion on their faces when you say you are Irish.
Indeed, much more hassle in deepest darkest Fife, Dundee and Glasgow.

Lot more are our friends than are against us.

Patriotism as hating other places? You might want to wander round the threads on here...

It's a middling satire channel...here it is taking the piss out of the Irish.

It's an Irish channel uploading Savage Eye clips

Last edited:
Do forces deployed on UN tours get their UN pay or is it withheld to offset the cost of the deployment ?

ok they get their basic line pay, Military Service Allowance and any tech allowance (as they would at home)

on top they get Overseas Peace Support Allowance which is rank dependant and starts at €61 a day. Tax free

if it is an armed mission, they also get Overseas Armed Peace Support Allowance which is €23 a day (that is in addition to the €61 a day). Tax free

whatever the Government gets from the UN goes towards paying that.

they do I think get a Per Dium allowance, not 100% sure how that works, but it’s something like US$1.50 a day as far as I know that goes directly to the soldier

Any bookworms on here? Reason I ask was there’s as I remember it a 1980s or 1990s spy thriller book with Mig 23 on the front flying above a burning field.

The plot ?

Ireland gets overrun by terrorists not talking bout the ones up north but by a consortium of Linyans, etc et. From around the world and using Ireland as a base.

Anyhow back to reality and Baldonnel has PC-9 which could easily be armed or probably are armed with rockets. last jet they had was the Fouga Magister and before that DeHavilland Vampire or Venom.

But straying aside their aircrew especially the budding pilots that and train on pair of Airbus Helicopters H135 (plus one for Garda ASU) then fly five Leonardo AW139 are not Training at Fort Rucker on the Airbus Helicopters UH-72A Lakota

The IAC is also ordered pair of Airbus Defense C295 probably tp replace their c235 or complement them ..

87922F8E-F42D-4A42-88A2-01F7BA567FAF.jpeg

So is there many punts sorry Euros left in their kitty

cheers

it often neglects the basic DF infrastructure until they are either an eyesore or a health hazard, so you get crumbling barracks, crumbling dockyards,workshops and vehicle parks falling apart.
I was looking at a list of Irish Defence Force barracks on Wiki. All of them without exception were former British Army Barracks built in Victorian times and handed over in 1922 like Cathal Brugha barracks in Dublin and the Curragh. The Curragh looks exactly like a lot of the old barracks in Tidworth.

Latest Threads