Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Fast Jets for Ireland?

Quick search and can’t find if it is treated separately financially

Irish Government does provide some funding though... not a huge amount

Is there an Auxilliary Coastguard like NI or is it a CD task?

EDIT "It" being the fuction of coastal rescue, cliffs and so on.

EDIT2 AIUI you can have your money retained locally for "your" station. You have to speak to the fund-raising secretary to arrange it.

Last edited:
Is there an Auxilliary Coastguard like NI or is it a CD task?

EDIT "It" being the fuction of coastal rescue, cliffs and so on.

EDIT2 AIUI you can have your money retained locally for "your" station. You have to speak to the fund-raising secretary to arrange it.
We have Coastguard (with RHIBs and who are all on call volunteers (apart from HQ & radio staff) and CD (with have inflatables (not sure about RHIBs) and who are volunteers.
There are also some “community lifeboats”, local charities with a RHIB/inflatable.

The IRAs fixation on touts is well found, it’s always been their Achilles. Heel, both north and south.

As regards creation myths?
looking at a map of IRA assassinations and attacks in the War of Independence is very instructive. It was very much a localised south west ‘war’, whole swathes of Ireland saw little if any IRA activity.
Apparently most of the IRA activity was confined to Dublin and the province of Munster, especialy Country Cork. When martial law was introduced in 1920, it only applied to certain parts of Ireland, not the whole country.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
I remember reading that in the early 90's when the RNZAF got rid of its A6 Skyhawks, they had to hire a warbirds company based in NZ to carry out Air attacks on Ships training for the RNZN using Gods aircraft, the Hawker Hunter.

The RNZAF flew A4 Skyhawks not the A6 Intruder.

And which were unserviceable when RAF Canberras flew photorecce missions deep into the Republic , causing uproar in the Dail.

Having a capability is irrelevant if it's not maintainable.
Am I right in recalling in 1987 or 1988, after the Eksund was found and the Gardai and Irish Army were turning the country upside down in Operation Mallard looking for the five tons of arms that had already slipped in under everyone's noses that an RAF recce plane was tasked with helping the search? Presumably trying to turn up recently excavated farmland that matched the profile of buried 40 foot containers.

It was being done on a very discreet basis I believe until someone in ATC at Dublin asked what the aircraft was doing exactly and the RAF pilot, being no doubt an honest chap, always told by mummy to tell the truth, blurted out something along the lines of I am looking for Provo arms stashes but it's OK the Taoiseach asked me to have a look around.

There was much consternation in the Dail.

ETA: Oh I see that the link @MuddyOldEngineer has posted concerns that incident. I think "map reading error" was the accepted explanation to save red faces all round.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Whats two numbers between friends. I meant Skyhawks. Didn't the Kiwis buy some Skyhawks off the Australians when HMAS Melbourne was decommissioned in 1983?

Yes they did, 10. The Kiwi A4 pilots were mad. They had some based at NAS Nowra (HMAS Albatross) for years. They used to play enemy and "attack" our ships when we were doing work ups in the EAXA. Never seen anyone else fly so low. I remember looking DOWN at one pilot as he crossed our bow.

Latest Threads