New Fast Jets for Ireland?

They will be getting all moist at the thought at the Balladonel flying club
( a thought, if they had just put those old spitfires into dry storage they could probably have done a straight swap for early block but low hours F15’s at current prices.)

I would just love to hear the squeals comming from the shinners if they were getting trained by the RAF.

And bugsy
About the same decibel level as the decades of RAF providing the SAR cover as Ireland didn't have their own. Lets all take a moment to remember the patriots who took the option to go ahead and drown instead of being rescued by the crown forces.......

About the same decibel level as the decades of RAF providing the SAR cover as Ireland didn't have their own. Lets all take a moment to remember the patriots who took the option to go ahead and drown instead of being rescued by the crown forces.......
RNLI covers Ireland too. That would be the ROYAL National Lifeboat Institution...

lextalionis

Old-Salt
A leasing agreement for Gripen might be politically feasible for the Irish government. It'd avoid headline grabbing figures but allow for a scalable tool. Either that, or they could abandon neutrality and join NATO.

From the article, 48 crews would be required, each with 400hrs to achieve competency. Never mind the aircraft, infrastructure, weapons, certification etc, where are they going to find, and how are they going to train that number of aircrew, at the level required?

I would imagine they’d need to ship students out to the RAF, Luftwaffe, USAF, FAF etc. I don’t imagine that would be free of charge either. Still, the actual interception would be quite interesting.

”Unknown aircraft, this is Irish Air Corps 279, top of the mornin’ to ye. Yer in de wrong spot, youse needs to be 20 miles to de left. Dat bit over there with the water. Get moving or I’ll have to kneecap yez, to be sure”. :)
Irish Air Corps 279?. That's one of their AW139s. I assume they won't be using choppers for interception duties!.

How about Irish Air Corps 299, one of the shiny new Rafales (or Tiffs) if this goes ahead up there at some point closer to 2030?.

I know, get the EU to create it's own airforce and base a detachment somewhere on the Emerald isle. The current EU president has some experience in dealing with defence matters.

Thee was a story going around in the 1980s that the MoD had some spare Tornados and offered them cheap to the Irish.
The response was something along the lines of "We just spent the annual defence budget on a new helicopter".

I know, get the EU to create it's own airforce and base a detachment somewhere on the Emerald isle. The current EU president has some experience in comprehensively effing up the Germans defence matters even better than the Allies during WW2.
No charge.

A leasing agreement for Gripen might be politically feasible for the Irish government. It'd avoid headline grabbing figures but allow for a scalable tool. Either that, or they could abandon neutrality and join NATO.
How much would a leasing agreement cost ? Say 6-8 Gripens

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
They don't even do their own night fixed wing night aero-medical work, it's contracted out to a private company. Not enough pilots to fly the air corps Lears Jet, anyway the politicians need their toy to play with and don't like the idea of someone making it dirty.

Why would we ever consider helping the Irish develop an Air Force, noting that when ever it kicks off, they always side with the enemy?

If the Box Heads go kinetic with their attempt at a Fourth Reich, you can guarantee that the Irish, who are already spreading their cheeks for the EU would gladly turn on us, even if we did help train them.

It doesn't seem that long ago when they actually had jets.

20200628_161918.jpg

Why would we ever consider helping the Irish develop an Air Force, noting that when ever it kicks off, they always side with the enemy?

If the Box Heads go kinetic with their attempt at a Fourth Reich, you can guarantee that the Irish, who are already spreading their cheeks for the EU would gladly turn on us, even if we did help train them.
The German forces are fubar thanks to the inaction of the new EU President and her predecessors. Ireland may have been a pro fascist state in WW2 but like Diane Abbot, I am sure most irish people have changed their hairstyles since the 1940s

Latest Threads