New Fast Jets for Ireland?

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
Ethiopian Airlines is actually quite a big outfit. And well-run. Although Dublin to the Cote d'Ivory is not a regular run.

As you say, a lot of unusual civil flights going on these days. Many of them are repatriation flights. I think Heathrow is getting it's fair share of strange flights, as well.
There was one I think by a private medivac company which I can not recall the name of that I seen one night flying over my house at 2300-2359 hrs and IIRC coming from Darlington and landed at St Angelo. Perhaps it was well heeled people flouting lockdown rules on the quiet but who knows, maybe it was a Covid-19 patient/corpse that wanted to be planted in thier native Fermanagh. The airstrip there does not even show up on flight radars website.

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
do a bit of reading. The potential size of NI, because of dithering politicians, varied between 4 and 8 counties and settled on six, as four was considered to have too small a population of Protestants. Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Fermanagh and Monaghan were all considered as "in" or "out". Look what happened.
Wish we had got Donegal instead of Londonderry as they whine like **** most of the time and I would have had Cavan and gave them Armagh because in they are not nice people on both sides of the divide.

Dockyard Port at Berehaven
(a) Admiralty property and rights to be retained as at the date hereof. Harbour defences to remain in charge of British care and maintenance parties.
Queenstown
(b) Harbour defences to remain in charge of British care and maintenance parties. Certain mooring buoys to be retained for use of His Majesty's ships.
Belfast Lough
(c) Harbour defences to remain in charge of British care and maintenance parties.

Lough Swilly
(d) Harbour defences to remain in charge of British care and maintenance parties.
Aviation
(e) Facilities in the neighbourhood of the above Ports for coastal defence by air.
Oil Fuel Storage
(f) Haulbowline, Rathmullen – To be offered for sale to commercial companies under guarantee that purchasers shall maintain a certain minimum stock for Admiralty purposes.
Which was in NI created by the Government of Ireland Act 1920

Taking your cunning plan a step further, and also providing a timely filip to the Irish horse racing/dogfood industry.

Acrostar : fits into a horsebox in the folding wing version, can be launched on roads and only requires a support team of two Transit vans, accompanying caravans and runs on poteen. red diesel.
FOC

Not being a cnut but what would have been coming from Ivory Coast?
Not having the bill of lading I certainly can't tell you what was on board.

As to what might be worth shipping from Ivory Coast by air, they do produce gold and diamonds.

Of course they may have been shipping nothing to Ireland, but they may have needed to air freight something from Ireland. Also, as someone else pointed out, it may have been just a refuelling stop.

do a bit of reading. The potential size of NI, because of dithering politicians, varied between 4 and 8 counties and settled on six, as four was considered to have too small a population of Protestants. Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Fermanagh and Monaghan were all considered as "in" or "out". Look what happened.
I am well aware of that. All I was going by was the Wiki link. Knowing Wiki it was probably wrong as I have never heard of NI being part of the Free State until it opted out in December 1922.

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero

As to what might be worth shipping from Ivory Coast by air, they do produce gold and diamonds.

Of course they may have been shipping nothing to Ireland, but they may have needed to air freight something from Ireland. Also, as someone else pointed out, it may have been just a refuelling stop.
Oh I now realise that it was bringing product to the payot wearing guys dressed in black in the diamond district of Ballymun;)

there are currently 4 A380s in Knock for disassembly

Ethiopian Airlines is actually quite a big outfit. And well-run. Although Dublin to the Cote d'Ivory is not a regular run.

As you say, a lot of unusual civil flights going on these days. Many of them are repatriation flights. I think Heathrow is getting it's fair share of strange flights, as well.
I take it you've never flown with them then.

I don't think either group is likely to find their way aboard an Ethiopian Airline flight. As said above, Ethiopian is a well-run outfit, and has been for a hell of a long while, even when the rest of the country was a basket-case.
Trying to board a flight at Addis may disavail you of that notion.

there are currently 4 A380s in Knock for disassembly
Which is odd, as their owners left them at Kemble for parting-out..

I thought the whole reason for the 1916 GPO caper and 1919 -19 22 was to get the evil Brits out of Ireland forever. Including their airspace. Didn't they intern Allied aircraft who had to land there in WW2?
Absolutely. There was a Dan Snow documentary not on long ago where they dug up a crashed spitfire near Derry.

They had an interview with one of the pilots that went down a few miles over the border and was sent to a camp in the south. He said they could go out and drink and guys had girlfriends. For some bizarre reason this guy escaped to get back to the north to get back into the war. After a month he arrived back at base and the airforce sent him back to the prisoner camp in the south as to not upset the Irish or cause a diplomatic incident.

I take it you've never flown with them then.

Trying to board a flight at Addis may disavail you of that notion.
No, but they are rated as being safer than most. Yes, I know they lost a 737 MAX, but we won't blame them for that.

Ratings and reality don't always match. Colleagues and others I know who've flown with them have nothing good to say either. Among those are engineers and aircrew.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Ratings and reality don't always match. Colleagues and others I know who've flown with them have nothing good to say either. Among those are engineers and aircrew.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.
Same with a lot of airlines. From the Star Alliance, I wouldn't particularly recommend Air China or Lufthansa, to name but two, but there's a lot worse than them out there. Ethiopian in the Star Alliance, which means they are externally audited.

...And you have to wonder how that happens. I think they survive because they're cheap. They're cheap because the aircraft are not well looked after, the service is shit and the entire experience is soul crushingly shit.

Latest Threads