New Fast Jets for Ireland?

Why did the EU shell out? Was it because the vessels were used for MPA and fishery patrol purposes?
at the time (late 60s/early 70s) the Irish Naval Service was a very small force with 3 Flower Class corvettes.

With the Common Fisheries Policy and an increase in the waters (200 mile EEZ in 1976 which is 10% of EU waters)that we were responsible for policing and enforcing Irish and EU law of

The primary role was defence of the State (With a 40 or 76mm main gun plus secondary armament) but they spend 80+% of their time on fisheries protection (of course when they are patrol it isn’t just trawlers they are looking at. The EU didn’t pay for the armament.

the 2 CASA C235 MPAs are unarmed and were purchased as on same basis (in 1994).2 CASA C295 MPAs are on order to replace them currently. Not sure how much by the EU is also contributing to them as well.

Er, the post from me that you replied to was about the 2015 - 2025 Defence White Paper (updated at the end of 2019), had a link to it, and quoted the equipment plans from it. If you noticed a reference to plans for new fighters in it that the rest of us missed, I'm sure we would appreciate you pointing it out to us. Otherwise we can assume there are no such plans at present.
White Paper 2015:
“6.4.2 Air Combat
The existing Pilatus PC9 aircraft provide a very limited air to air and air to ground capacity and these are due for replacement in 2025. The development of a more capable air combat/intercept capability will be considered as part of the White Paper update (See Chapter 10).“

Equipment Development Plan 2020:
“Future programmes at pre planning stage
Beyond the very significant range of projects already underway or in existing planning streams, the EDP highlights others that are expected to progress in future phases of the plan. This is not an exhaustive list but gives an indication of the scale and range of programmes that will enter planning. At this stage there is not a definite commitment to pursue, or an associated time-frame, for these. These include a primary radar system, air combat interceptor”

Why?

Has Ireland become concerned about Bears, Backfires and Blackjacks?
Yes, It's Leo Varadkar's new policy about same-sex social distancing

saffer gripens going begging... in mothballs, for all intents and purposes.
Pretty much new out of the box. Barely run in.

Usual pilferati suspects got their kickbacks though, so it's all good. They don't care what happens to the airframes if another kickback is in the offing.

Pretty much new out of the box. Barely run in.

Usual pilferati suspects got their kickbacks though, so it's all good. They don't care what happens to the airframes if another kickback is in the offing.
Never enough $$$ for fuel to get the hours, Lard.
However, in lockdown I notice the presidential fleet/Cyril's air taxi, as it is the only thing in the sky.
And they seem to fly a lot.

Something that was mentioned to them before the purchase, along with spares and maintenance costs. Didn't stop them grubbing for the kickbacks though.

The other lot doing a fair bit of flying are the VIP helos ferrying the pilferati elite around.

Something that was mentioned to them before the purchase, along with spares and maintenance costs. Didn't stop them grubbing for the kickbacks though.

The other lot doing a fair bit of flying are the VIP helos ferrying the pilferati elite around.
despite living near Ysterplaat, I do not think I've ever seen a Hawk flying here.

See them out of Waterkloof very rarely.

Usually some ANC propaganda extravaganza masquerading as a bank holiday.

It is in the Defence White Paper and a just published Equipment Programme that it will be considered..
I'd file it along with the NCO Pilots plan that was suggested about 1990. Realistically it's not going to happen.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
at the time (late 60s/early 70s) the Irish Naval Service was a very small force with 3 Flower Class corvettes.

With the Common Fisheries Policy and an increase in the waters (200 mile EEZ in 1976 which is 10% of EU waters)that we were responsible for policing and enforcing Irish and EU law of

The primary role was defence of the State (With a 40 or 76mm main gun plus secondary armament) but they spend 80+% of their time on fisheries protection (of course when they are patrol it isn’t just trawlers they are looking at. The EU didn’t pay for the armament.

the 2 CASA C235 MPAs are unarmed and were purchased as on same basis (in 1994).2 CASA C295 MPAs are on order to replace them currently. Not sure how much by the EU is also contributing to them as well.
well your percentage of EU waters is about to get a decent increase, will there be any fish left to to protect though? like the UK, giving the CFP total control has cost you a lot more in lost fish values than you have had in aid payments. - it's around 250bn of lost fish compared to 50bn in aid IIRC

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
I thought the whole reason for the 1916 GPO caper and 1919 -19 22 was to get the evil Brits out of Ireland forever. Including their airspace. Didn't they intern Allied aircraft who had to land there in WW2?
There was a base (Fort Dunree) in Donegal occupied by the Royal Navy until October 1938 along with a couple of other ports, one IIRC in Mayo.

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
IIRC we said if we can't fly over we'll take back Donegal for the duration. In the desperate days of 1940 Churchill offered the six counties if Ireland threw it's lot in with us. Cork and the manpower that Ireland could provide would have been a great help.
It seems to me that Ireland are re writing history to say they were on the allies side all the time. Spotting Uboats, assisting RAF aircrews and helping with the Belfast Blitz. Plus De Valera wasn't bezzie mates with Nazis and their sympathisers, no sir ee.
They would like to re write history but thier journalists are not on the same page.

They would like to re write history but thier journalists are not on the same page.
A lot of what actually happened that was pro-allies was kept secret. If it had been public knowledge we could not have claimed neutral status. We weren’t a belligerent in WW2, we were publicly neutral But the reality was pro-allies.

why? to prevent another potential Civil War, considering the last one had only started 17 years previously

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
Are there any legal restrictions on Irish citizens in the RIR and Irish Guards wearing uniform on leave in the Republic. Not that it would be particulary wise in some places. I saw an article a while back about a Southern Irish lad who was a corporal in 1 Para/SFSG whose fiancee was a Captain in the IDF. I wonder if he would be wearing his Parachute Regiment blues for his wedding.
The vast majority of Irish people would not give a flying funk, its the 5% of agitators/organised crime gang members that cause all the trouble and the rest are the silent majority affraid to speak out against it for fear of being beaten or worse.

DAS

War Hero
Are there any legal restrictions on Irish citizens in the RIR and Irish Guards wearing uniform on leave in the Republic. Not that it would be particulary wise in some places. I saw an article a while back about a Southern Irish lad who was a corporal in 1 Para/SFSG whose fiancee was a Captain in the IDF. I wonder if he would be wearing his Parachute Regiment blues for his wedding.
I was married in Ireland (Kilkenny), in civvies. Also had to supply names of all attendees to the wedding. Things calmed somewhat when my soon to be uncle was shown to be rather high up in Gardai.

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
Brest is 300 miles and 14 hours sailing from Cork. Historically having plenty of bases on the south coast of England didn't stop the RN from building more in Ireland.

But the French might like to maintain a token presence on the outer reaches of Festung Europa. Perhaps Bantry or Killala for old times sake.
I would take Killala provided I had free access to fishing the Ridge pool.

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
Never enough $$$ for fuel to get the hours, Lard.
However, in lockdown I notice the presidential fleet/Cyril's air taxi, as it is the only thing in the sky.
And they seem to fly a lot.
This is a bit off topic but I was having a look on Flght radar 24 in the wee small hours during lockdown and noticed an Ethiopian airlines dreamliner flying in to Dublin from the Ivory Coast and thought it very strange. Tried to book a direct flight to Ivory Coast but there are no scheduled flights either way, there was a lot of funny stuff going on during lockdown in regards to air travel.

Latest Threads