New Fast Jets for Ireland?

From Wiki 'cos I didn't remember the figures:

The Czech Republic lease 14 Gripen aircraft, modified to comply with NATO standards. The agreement also included the training of Czech pilots and technicians in Sweden. The first six were delivered on 18 April 2005. The lease was for an agreed period of 10 years at a cost of €780 million; the 14 ex-Swedish Air Force aircraft included 12 single-seaters and two JAS 39D two-seat trainers.

Renewed to 2027
saffer gripens going begging... in mothballs, for all intents and purposes.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
saffer gripens going begging... in mothballs, for all intents and purposes.
that's just cruel, moving warm weather aircraft to a permanently wet environment.

A first world nuclear-armed nation gone to ratshit. Don't think it couldn't happen here.

Like 1922 I am sure that the Irish declared that they won, despite no one in the UK being aware of it.
Afraid not. It ruined our economy as we were ,more or less,totally dependent on agricultural sales to the UK and Dev was forced to admit that it was a stupid idea. Nothing to brag about and yes,we do tend to brag about the slightest thing, but even we knew that was a disaster.

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
The Irish having a fast-jet capability is never going to happen. Even if they managed to pick up a dozen jets for say £500 million, they are going to have to cough up many, many times more than that for spares and support, infrastructure, recruitment, training of both air and ground crew, infrastructure, etc, etc.
Are they going to buy two infrastructure.;)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Afraid not. It ruined our economy as we were ,more or less,totally dependent on agricultural sales to the UK and Dev was forced to admit that it was a stupid idea. Nothing to brag about and yes,we do tend to brag about the slightest thing, but even we knew that was a disaster.
I like the irish partly because my people are from there and never understood why the usual gobby violent minority got their way when ireland did much better with the second city of empire.

as soon as they went their own way they were dependent on UK aid in one form or another and still are due to the EU money being UK money and the common travel area keeping most irish youth in employment.

we took everything they grew and could sell without a quibble, so it does seem odd that they are clinging so desperately to the EU now their contributions are going up to 1.5bn and the CFP has taken 230bn worth of irish fish and the CAP is due to be scrapped.

it would make more fiscal sense to rejoin the union or at least the commonwealth.

[

I agree, policing should be the first priority but they dont have any air defence or military radar cover, excuse the pun, but my suggestion was to be taken building from the ground up. The article will no doubt be as far as Ireland will get involved. No politician will sacrifice their own job and prioritise defence over health, education etc
We do just not enough and it is LLAD

How did the EU pay for an Irish Navy. I have never heard of this.
The EU paid 1/2 the cost of building the 4 vessels of the LE Deirdre/P21 class and the LE Roisin (not sure about Eithne, Niamh or the 4 newer vessels).

they also paid half the cost of the CASA C235 MPAs

Are there any legal restrictions on Irish citizens in the RIR and Irish Guards wearing uniform on leave in the Republic. Not that it would be particulary wise in some places. I saw an article a while back about a Southern Irish lad who was a corporal in 1 Para/SFSG whose fiancee was a Captain in the IDF. I wonder if he would be wearing his Parachute Regiment blues for his wedding.
As was said you need permission in Writing from a Government minister.

it’s an offence under the Defence Act and could result in a fine or up to 6 months in jail

We're not. For a start we can't afford it. Secondly the Green Party are now part of government and military expenditure is anathema to them. Last time they were in government they wanted to disband the DF altogether and form a Peace Corps or something.

A previous Chief of Staff a few years ago dismissed the idea of buying fighter aircraft as a waste of money. The current COS is a Naval Service gentleman so he would prioritise buying a new boat I suppose.

The DF's priorities do not include fighting off the Reds over the North Atlantic- that's what the Brits and the Americans are for. The Irish Army does peacekeeping missions with the UN so infantry gear is what the money that's available will be used for.

I suspect that this is just a brain fárt from the journo in question.
It is in the Defence White Paper and a just published Equipment Programme that it will be considered

We're not. For a start we can't afford it. Secondly the Green Party are now part of government and military expenditure is anathema to them. Last time they were in government they wanted to disband the DF altogether and form a Peace Corps or something.

A previous Chief of Staff a few years ago dismissed the idea of buying fighter aircraft as a waste of money. The current COS is a Naval Service gentleman so he would prioritise buying a new boat I suppose.

The DF's priorities do not include fighting off the Reds over the North Atlantic- that's what the Brits and the Americans are for. The Irish Army does peacekeeping missions with the UN so infantry gear is what the money that's available will be used for.

I suspect that this is just a brain fárt from the journo in question.
It is in the Defence White Paper and a just published Equipment Programme that it will be considered
It's fascinating how long this discussion can go on without anyone actually resorting to doing something as radical as reading the Irish defence plans to find what what they're up to.

Here we are with a look at the absolutely top secret and very latest Irish defence plans, covering 2015 to 2025 and updated at the end of 2019. I don't happen to notice anything about new fighter jets.

Equipment plans and infrastructure plans have been developed in order to guide the
equipment and infrastructure project priorities across the White Paper based on the available funding envelope. Major acquisitions and investment since the White Paper include:

• A €68m maintenance and upgrade programme on the Army’s fleet of 80 Armoured Personnel Carriers.
  • A new Offshore Patrol Vessel was delivered to the Naval Service in both 2016 and 2018 under the ship replacement programme. In total, four new vessels were delivered under the programme which amounted to a total investment of €288m (since 2010).
  • Planning is now underway for the acquisition of a Multi-Role Vessel to replace the Naval Service flagship LÉ Eithne.
  • The first phase of the Mid-Life Extension Programme of the Naval Service’s two P50 class vessels has commenced with the aim of ensuring the reliability of the vessels for the next 15 years.
  • Three new PC12 aircraft are currently being built for the Air Corps. These are being equipped for ISTAR tasks with delivery currently scheduled to commence in 2020.
  • A tender competition is also close to finalisation for the replacement of the Air Corps’ two CASA Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
  • Some €37m worth of infrastructure development projects are currently at various stages of implementation. These projects include the upgrade and modernisation of facilities used by Defence Forces personnel such as accommodation, dining and locker facilities across the Army, Air Corps and Naval Service.
try the Defence White Paper 2015 and Equipment Development Plan

that’s where they get a passing mention

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
[QUOTE="Le_addeur_noir, post: 10113873, member: 26792"
It has to be remembered that despite the then Irish government's Anglophobia, and pro-Axis leanings, a hell of a lot of Irish citizens joined the British forces during the last war.
[/QUOTE]
And continue to do so to this day, toured the sandpit 2003/2004 and I was pleasantly surprised at the ammount of people from ROI and also the number of catholics from NI that I worked with and had great (though sometimes challenging times) with.

I like the irish partly because my people are from there and never understood why the usual gobby violent minority got their way when ireland did much better with the second city of empire.

as soon as they went their own way they were dependent on UK aid in one form or another and still are due to the EU money being UK money and the common travel area keeping most irish youth in employment.

we took everything they grew and could sell without a quibble, so it does seem odd that they are clinging so desperately to the EU now their contributions are going up to 1.5bn and the CFP has taken 230bn worth of irish fish and the CAP is due to be scrapped.

it would make more fiscal sense to rejoin the union or at least the commonwealth.
Don't encourage them. We dodged a bullet in 1922 in the long run. The bit we kept in the North costs us 10 billion a year and that had all the industry in it.

The EU paid 1/2 the cost of building the 4 vessels of the LE Deirdre/P21 class and the LE Roisin (not sure about Eithne, Niamh or the 4 newer vessels).

they also paid half the cost of the CASA C235 MPAs
Why did the EU shell out? Was it because the vessels were used for MPA and fishery patrol purposes?

They should think outside the bogs and look further afield for a light fighter at good value. The South Korean TA-50 for example or even the Indian Tejas*

1. MiG-35: US$45 million
  2. JF-17: US$25 million
  3. F/A-50: US$40 million
  4. J-10B: US$32 million
  5. L-15: US$16 million
  6. FTC-2000G: US$7.8 million
  7. M-346 FA: US$18 million
  8. YAK-130: US$19.5 million
  9. BAE Hawk 100: US$29 million
  10. Tejas 1A: US$ 43 million

*must keep a straight face must keep a straight face

Wonder if the Saudis have some spare old ones doing nothing that they could have cheap? Or plan B is to see if they can shoe-horn a supercharger into their Sopwith Pups.

A random thought occurred to me this morning: the 4 x Belgain NH90s now going spare, could the Irish Air Corps make use of them? Would the EU be willing to provide a suitable financial support package to assist with a purchase?

try the Defence White Paper 2015 and Equipment Development Plan

that’s where they get a passing mention
Er, the post from me that you replied to was about the 2015 - 2025 Defence White Paper (updated at the end of 2019), had a link to it, and quoted the equipment plans from it. If you noticed a reference to plans for new fighters in it that the rest of us missed, I'm sure we would appreciate you pointing it out to us. Otherwise we can assume there are no such plans at present.

A random thought occurred to me this morning: the 4 x Belgain NH90s now going spare, could the Irish Air Corps make use of them? Would the EU be willing to provide a suitable financial support package to assist with a purchase?
Given the thread title wouldn't the Bell 222A be more appropriate

Latest Threads