New Fast Jets for Ireland?

some bit of EU financial jiggers pokery will likely be employed to give the RoI an ‘Air Force’.
similar to the way the EU bought it a Navy.
How did the EU pay for an Irish Navy. I have never heard of this.
France has been putting a bit of effort into pushing for them to take over an Air Policing role for the RoI post Brexit.

an obvious political fix would be an ‘Irish’ Squadron stood up under the Armee de l’Air umbrella.
Irish pilots, but pretty much everything else provided by France. The squadron merely operating as a forward deployed ‘Irish’ unit based in Shannon, the real base being somewhere en France. think along the lines of the Air Policing operation in the Baltics.
That was always one of the excuses for the English to occupy Ireland in the first place. To stop the French being there. This time I think it is best to leave them to it. They will soon be pining for home, back to the sunshine and food of La Belle France and the beaches of Brittany and San Tropez as opposed to 364 days of rain and a diet of spuds.

Re-generate Brawdy??
Plenty to choose from, RAF Mona still open, talk of Llanbedr to reopen, MOD Arberporth ? As the crow flies St Mawgan and Chivenor. Some older WW2 airfields still there RNAS St Davids and Dale, plus Haverfordwest airfield. Mind you would all need infrastructure investment.

How did the EU pay for an Irish Navy. I have never heard of this.

That was always one of the excuses for the English to occupy Ireland in the first place. To stop the French being there. This time I think it is best to leave them to it. They will soon be pining for home, back to the sunshine and food of La Belle France and the beaches of Brittany and San Tropez as opposed to 364 days of rain and a diet of spuds.
funded using EEC/EU development funds since it joined the EEC

It will be easier to get them a little corner in Shannon or Knock. And maybe some naval facilities at Haulbowline.

french have no need of a naval presence in Cork, they have plenty of bases just across the way, but an air presence reaching out into the Atlantic would suit them very nicely.

Chef

LE
A cheap(ish) short range fast interceptor? Have they considered a heritage flight of these? Probably qualify for an EU Living History grant.

The RAF Collection Print - English Electric Lightning - Bear Intercept

And a proven track record to boot.

Thunder City have a pool of expertise and were having a closing down sale of stock.

Just a thought.

french have no need of a naval presence in Cork, they have plenty of bases just across the way, but an air presence reaching out into the Atlantic would suit them very nicely.
Brest is 300 miles and 14 hours sailing from Cork. Historically having plenty of bases on the south coast of England didn't stop the RN from building more in Ireland.

But the French might like to maintain a token presence on the outer reaches of Festung Europa. Perhaps Bantry or Killala for old times sake.

Brest is 300 miles and 14 hours sailing from Cork. Historically having plenty of bases on the south coast of England didn't stop the RN from building more in Ireland.

But the French might like to maintain a token presence on the outer reaches of Festung Europa. Perhaps Bantry or Killala for old times sake.
Bantry Bay does not hold good vibes for the French

Are there any legal restrictions on Irish citizens in the RIR and Irish Guards wearing uniform on leave in the Republic. Not that it would be particulary wise in some places. I saw an article a while back about a Southern Irish lad who was a corporal in 1 Para/SFSG whose fiancee was a Captain in the IDF. I wonder if he would be wearing his Parachute Regiment blues for his wedding.
It's illegal without permission. A RIR chap was killed a couple of years back and they held a military funeral in Cork. I'm surprised to find it was actually 2012.

So the Para would have no problems once he got permission to wear his uniform for his wedding. I'd update my will and make sure my life insurance was paid up though.

Are there any legal restrictions on Irish citizens in the RIR and Irish Guards wearing uniform on leave in the Republic. Not that it would be particulary wise in some places. I saw an article a while back about a Southern Irish lad who was a corporal in 1 Para/SFSG whose fiancee was a Captain in the IDF. I wonder if he would be wearing his Parachute Regiment blues for his wedding.
Wonder who was better paid, him or her?

Chef

LE
No.
they were a bunch of incompetent cnuts.
Go read the ZU-BEX accident report
Makes for an interesting read! Vanishing laptops and rather poor maintenance procedures. I withdraw my suggestion Is that why they went tits up?

I still think it's a good idea to go the whole way 'Heritage' wise and field Hurricanes, Lysanders and the like. They could moonlight by doing film work).

Last edited:
A cheap(ish) short range fast interceptor? Have they considered a heritage flight of these? Probably qualify for an EU Living History grant.

The RAF Collection Print - English Electric Lightning - Bear Intercept

And a proven track record to boot.

Thunder City have a pool of expertise and were having a closing down sale of stock.

Just a thought.
I remember reading that in the early 90's when the RNZAF got rid of its A6 Skyhawks, they had to hire a warbirds company based in NZ to carry out Air attacks on Ships training for the RNZN using Gods aircraft, the Hawker Hunter.

Makes for an interesting read! Vanishing laptops and rather poor maintenance procedures. I withdraw my suggestion Is that why they went tits up?

I still think it's a good idea to go the whole way 'Heritage' wise and field Hurricanes, Lysanders and the like. They could moonlight by doing film work).
Palms greased and the cnut Beachy-Head was never prosecuted.

Tool

LE
It's the cost behind the aircraft that would be the killer.
From Wiki 'cos I didn't remember the figures:

The Czech Republic lease 14 Gripen aircraft, modified to comply with NATO standards. The agreement also included the training of Czech pilots and technicians in Sweden. The first six were delivered on 18 April 2005. The lease was for an agreed period of 10 years at a cost of €780 million; the 14 ex-Swedish Air Force aircraft included 12 single-seaters and two JAS 39D two-seat trainers.

Renewed to 2027

Latest Threads