New Fast Jets for Ireland?

From the article, 48 crews would be required, each with 400hrs to achieve competency. Never mind the aircraft, infrastructure, weapons, certification etc, where are they going to find, and how are they going to train that number of aircrew, at the level required?

I would imagine they’d need to ship students out to the RAF, Luftwaffe, USAF, FAF etc. I don’t imagine that would be free of charge either. Still, the actual interception would be quite interesting.

”Unknown aircraft, this is Irish Air Corps 279, top of the mornin’ to ye. Yer in de wrong spot, youse needs to be 20 miles to de left. Dat bit over there with the water. Get moving or I’ll have to kneecap yez, to be sure”. :)

Issi

War Hero
Aren't there a bunch of Ryanair/Aer Lingus lads sitting around at the minute?

What's wrong with arming Ryanair? No, wait...….

Baby steps....they should invest in comprehensive radar infrastructure and a surface to air systems first Both realistic, more cost effective than jets and long overdue

lextalionis

Old-Salt
Perhaps the most cost effective approach would be to acquire either some second hand F16s or F18s, or a variant of the Hawk. Either that, or they could go back to using Spitfires.

Baby steps....they should invest in comprehensive radar infrastructure and a surface to air systems first Both realistic, more cost effective than jets and long overdue
Why? There's nothing worth bombing from the air....

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
From the article, 48 crews would be required, each with 400hrs to achieve competency. Never mind the aircraft, infrastructure, weapons, certification etc, where are they going to find, and how are they going to train that number of aircrew, at the level required?

I would imagine they’d need to ship students out to the RAF, Luftwaffe, USAF, FAF etc. I don’t imagine that would be free of charge either. Still, the actual interception would be quite interesting.

”Unknown aircraft, this is Irish Air Corps 279, top of the mornin’ to ye. Yer in de wrong spot, youse needs to be 20 miles to de left. Dat bit over there with the water. Get moving or I’ll have to kneecap yez, to be sure”. :)
I would just love to hear the squeals comming from the shinners if they were getting trained by the RAF.

And bugsy

lextalionis

Old-Salt
Hell no!
Very expensive on upkeep.
Saab Gripen, perhaps?
Isn't there a land-based variant of the long-range missile carried by the Type 45 destroyer? Or Patriot.

I disagree, not regarding radar and infrastructure, but viz SAM systems, the recognised need is to police the Sky not deny it -
Whilst you can intercept a stray aircraft with a Patriot missile - I put it to you that since the vast majority are no more than errors of Nav / comms issues or Soviet prowlers that during peace time at least, that 30Kg of explosives in the face is perhaps unwarranted.

As an aside - since the UK polices Irelands airspace for it are we reimbursed that cost - if not why not - certainly may make them take their defence seriously if UK isnt giving them a free ride.

Last edited:
[
I disagree, not regarding radar and infrastructure, but viz SAM systems, the recognised need is to police the Sky not deny it -
Whilst you can intercept a stray aircraft with a Patriot missile - I put it to you that since the vast majority are no more than errors of Nav / comms issues or Soviet prowlers that during peace tome at least m0Kg of explosives in the face is perhaps unwarranted.

As an aside - since the UK polices Irelands airspace for it are we reimbursed that cost - if not why not - certainly may make them take their defence seriously if UK isnt giving them a free ride.
I agree, policing should be the first priority but they dont have any air defence or military radar cover, excuse the pun, but my suggestion was to be taken building from the ground up. The article will no doubt be as far as Ireland will get involved. No politician will sacrifice their own job and prioritise defence over health, education etc

Grippen or Typhoon - yes the latter is more than they need - but the ability to plug straight into the UK infrastructure - air defence network support and spares and of course training pipline must be a significant saving
Grippen on the account that its built by neutral Sweden, is pretty cost effective with a lot of thought gone into austere basing, and its a rather capable jet to boot.
Out of interest, what is the RoIs radar coverage like ?

Latest Threads