New Fast Jets for Canada

You can lead a horse to water.....

It’s a shame for Typhoon but I was under the impression Canada got workshare on the F-35 so are already making money from it?

That’s your payback on the project, not the IP.
There's no guaranties that will continue after we are locked in. If there were, then they would be willing to put it in writing, which they're not. And all the other bidders (including Airbus) are prepared to provide ITBs and to put it in writing.

"Trust me" just doesn't cut it when you are talking about this much money.

An additional $800 million will be spent on keeping Canada's F-18 up to date in service before they are finally replaced. The last Canadian F-18 is expected to go out of service in 2032.
Federal government to spend hundreds of millions more to keep CF-18s fighting fit
Royal Canadian Air Force commander Lt.-Gen. Al Meinzinger estimated the added cost will be around $800 million, which is on top of the $3 billion the government has already set aside to extend the lives of the CF-18s and purchase 18 secondhand fighter jets from Australia.

"Canada has a history of upgrading their fighter aircraft," Meinzinger said in a recent interview with The Canadian Press. "It's a consequence of the fact that over time, threats ... advance as technology advances."

Thirty-six out of the air force's 76 CF-18s and 18 soon-to-be-delivered secondhand Australian F-18s will receive the full suite of upgrades.
Canada is apparently working with the US Marines on this, as they are also extending the life of their own F-18s and so they will be exchanging information on the best way to do that.
The U.S. Marines are looking at keeping their F-18s — upon which the CF-18 is based — in the air until the 2030s, and Meinzinger said the two forces are working together to identify the best ways to do that.

"We've made it a priority and we're moving as fast as we can to get it delivered," he said. "Obviously our intent is always to ensure that we're making the investments such that we believe that we've got at least parity against the threats that we would face."

There's no guaranties that will continue after we are locked in. If there were, then they would be willing to put it in writing, which they're not. And all the other bidders (including Airbus) are prepared to provide ITBs and to put it in writing.

"Trust me" just doesn't cut it when you are talking about this much money.
I don’t know anything about the F-35 and workshare, but I suppose LM don’t want to make any guarantees that may constrain them later?

Some of the Saudi Typhoons couldn’t be repaired due to Germany’s stance on their incursion into Yemen and they were sub components to UK workshare which didn’t have the same stance.

I don’t know anything about the F-35 and workshare, but I suppose LM don’t want to make any guarantees that may constrain them later? (...)
In the case of the F-35 It has to do with the way the US has structured the project. As a buyer you have to deal through the US government on their terms. It's different from normal fighter sales which were typically negotiated as commercial contracts.

The UK is dealing on different terms than other countries, as it is the #2 partner and holds technology rights. Canada is only allowed to participate as subcontractors to subcontractors, and those subcontracts can be revoked at any time. The concern is that someone in the US government (not naming any names here) might decide that they would rather have the work done in the US once Canada is committed, and there's nothing Canada could do about it. The US could also decide that all maintenance work must be done in the US, and again there's nothing Canada could do about it.

LM has been making "assurances", but only non-binding ones. So, Canada has been asking for it in writing, and this is where the dispute has been.

All other manufacturers have been willing to put their promises in writing.

Far out, you would think America would give Canada a bit of slack being as though they are Allies and the Aircraft Canada fly also help to assist the defence of the US.

This was all going on before Trump though was it not?

Latest Threads