New Fast Jets for Canada

@terminal,

Am I correct in thinking that the RCAF Herons are Line of Sight ops only, as the RAAF aircraft were?

Regards,
MM

@terminal,

Am I correct in thinking that the RCAF Herons are Line of Sight ops only, as the RAAF aircraft were?

Regards,
MM
I believe so, yes, but I don't have direct confirmation of that. The RCAF and RAAF Herons were both by the way leased from a Canadian aeorspoace company who supported and serviced them, so I imagine they were fairly similar.

Canada has some satellite projects planned. One (TNS-GEO) is for coverage between 65°N and 65°S latitudes, and the other (ESCP-P) for 65°N - 90°N latitude.
Tactical Narrowband SATCOM -Geosynchronous Coverage - Defence Capabilities Blueprint
Enhanced Satellite Communication Project - Polar - Defence Capabilities Blueprint
Enhanced SATCOM Project - Polar (W6369-180123/A) - Buyandsell.gc.ca

Those official sources don't draw a link directly between those satellites and the use of UAVs, but other industry sources have said that UAVs will be one of the platforms making use of them.

Last edited:
I believe so, yes, but I don't have direct confirmation of that. The RCAF and RAAF Herons were both by the way leased from a Canadian aeorspoace company who supported and serviced them, so I imagine they were fairly similar.
That would make sense.

The RAAF Herons were the bain of everyone’s lives when they were at KAF as they had to be towed to the runway threshold for pre-launch checks. On recovery, they would shut down at the same location and then had to be towed back, all of which significantly disrupted flight ops.

Regards,
MM

@terminal,

Here's a more direct reply to your original question: 1643-MDA:-Project-Noctua| FrontLine Defence
While both satellite relay and line of sight control systems are available, the CF variant utilizes a line of sight system that supports operations out to 200 km.
The above is from a 2011 article.

MDA had been working with IAI for some years attempting to find customers for the Heron, both military and civilian, and Canada had previously evaluated them. Thus when an urgent need for UAVs arose for Afghanistan, they were able to put a deal together in short order.

According to other sources, the UK had also been looking at the Heron and their evaluation was conducted at BATUS using one belonging to the MDA/IAI partnership.

Here's an article on the new Heron as being offered to Canada. It's worth reading.
TEAM ARTEMIS - TEAM ARTEMIS - Canadian Defence Review | Canadian Defence Review

The current partner for IAI in Canada by the way is no longer MDA, but L3 MAS. The latter do a lot of in-service support for the RCAF, including major re-builds and upgrades of F-18s (including work for Australia).

They arrived last Sunday at Cold Lake in Alberta (one of the main operating bases for the RCAF fighters).

Here's the official RCAF news release on it: News Article | First Interim Fighter Jets Arrive in Cold Lake
Here's a press release from just over a year ago on what will need to be done to bring the interim jets into service. Integrating Australian Jets into the Current Royal Canadian Air Force Fighter Fleet - Canada.ca

Here's the CBC story on their arrival: First used Australian fighter jets land in Cold Lake, Alta. | CBC News

Here's a CTV story which also has a short video of the planes: RCAF welcomes first 2 used Australian F-18 jets

According to other reports the first two could be on the flight line by summer after inspection, upgrades, and repainting. Some of the jets will be used for spare parts, rather than being flown. More of the jets will be arriving later in the year.

I should point out that the Flight Global story in your link has the same error which they have previously made. They say that Dassault is one of the five competitors for the new jets. As previously noted in this thread, Dassault has dropped out and there are now only four competitors.

That would make sense.

The RAAF Herons were the bain of everyone’s lives when they were at KAF as they had to be towed to the runway threshold for pre-launch checks. On recovery, they would shut down at the same location and then had to be towed back, all of which significantly disrupted flight ops.

Regards,
MM
Out of interested, having spent a LONG time at KAF but after these aircraft left, how come they had to be towed to and from the threshold? I used to watch the UAV's make the long journey from where they were based to 05 Threshold thinking they would be out of fuel by the time they got there.

Flew up to Lossie in one to fix a jet as a young mech straight out of Halton, lovely flight.
Technically, the RN flew Sea Herons. I agree, a lovely flight as long as you didn't ditch in the Irish Sea when someone forgot to switch over the fuel tanks........
Fortunately, that didn't involve me, but I do seem to recall the smell of leather seats. (although that may be simply the result of Anno Domini.)

However, I can definitely remember seeing a mixed flight of five Sea Herons and Sea Devons (the twin-engined version which was essentially the civilian Dove) wheeling around the Solent in formation preparing for an open day at HMS Daedalus (Lee-on-Solent) in the mid 70s.

Technically, the RN flew Sea Herons. I agree, a lovely flight as long as you didn't ditch in the Irish Sea when someone forgot to switch over the fuel tanks........
Fortunately, that didn't involve me, but I do seem to recall the smell of leather seats. (although that may be simply the result of Anno Domini.)

However, I can definitely remember seeing a mixed flight of five Sea Herons and Sea Devons (the twin-engined version which was essentially the civilian Dove) wheeling around the Solent in formation preparing for an open day at HMS Daedalus (Lee-on-Solent) in the mid 70s.
I vaguely recall seeing Devons or Herons at either Anthorn or Kirkbride back in the early 60's - probably the latter, as it was used as a disposal site & I remember them breaking up Ansons there.

Nope, you're not wrong, the smell of leather is correct. Dunno if it was a VIP fit but a very comfy armchair like seat iirc.

Nope, you're not wrong, the smell of leather is correct. Dunno if it was a VIP fit but a very comfy armchair like seat iirc.
It was a fashion of the time as the Shackleton also featured leather chairs for the crew!

Regards,
MM

It was a fashion of the time as the Shackleton also featured leather chairs for the crew!

Regards,
MM
Did you fly on the test flight off the shack?