New Falklands Film

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by FNUSNU, Dec 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heard about the new Falklands film? It's being made by the Americans. It tells the tale of how the USS Nimitiz battlegroup sailed to the Falklands carrying the USMC and 82nd Abn, recapturing South Gorgia on the way. Of course all reference to the Brits has been removed and aparently the Islands belong to the USA.

2. Who plays the lead? Brad Pitt?

With Julia Roberts as the love interest?

And who plays Galtieri? Dennis Hopper?

Don't tell me the H Jones type role will be played by Hugh Graaaaaaahnt!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

3. No, it'll have Grant 'alwight bruv' Mitchell as a feisty para, and Mel Gibson as a geriatric yet strangely unpromoted US mercenary, who fills a hole on Longdon with his other US mercenary mates. Meanwhile, the crew of U571 sneak into Grytvykken and nick an Argie submarine, and on the way sending a fish after The Invincible just to out-do Mel Gibson's anti-UK act in 'The Patriot'.
    It's true, a bloke on the bus told me.

4. Any truth in that old rumour that our boys captured some septic PMCs (private military contractors) who had been fighting for the Argentinians, and greased them on the spot?

5. Don't know - I have to declare that I was 12 at the time. But Mr Plod investigated in the 90's - so best to leave it there, methinks?

6. I heard that some Spam mercs were captured by 2 & 3 Para in the last few days of the war and that they were topped on the spot.

I tend to believe that its Sh*thouse rumours. I was living in the 'Shot at the time as a teenager and used to babysit for a few of the 2 & 3 Para pads who just laughed when you tried to ask them about it.

But I suppose in hindsight you could read that anyway you like.

Besides if there was any truth in it I think the Tabloids might have gotten hold of it by now or it might have been in somebodys Biography.

Wonder what nationality the mercs would be in this film? French?

:twisted:

7. They did, and it was.

8. I read a book years ago (by Vincent/Victor someone, poss called Excursion To Hell, but I could be talking nonsense) written by some Para/ex-Para who stated that they had caught and killed some mercs.

9. Vincent Bramley,excursion to hell. Cant recal anything in the book. But Im notourious for a bad memory. (and spelling)

SK

10. Yeah me too.

Early Alzheimers setting in. Don't remember seeing anything in the papers about it - but then it is the SPORT I read.

:D

11. I seem to remember that alleged 'war crimes' in the Falklands were investigated by the Met Police; who found that there was no case to answer.

Or is this a case in point that war crimes are only committed by the losers?

12. http://britains-smallwars.com/swbooks/Green-Eyed.html
    Wasn't that 'The Green Eyed Boys?'

Dunno about Christian Jennings writing it. He was in 10 Para then 2REP. Didn't join 10 Para 'til late '82. Not that I knew him of course :roll:

13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

There was an investigation just time after the shooting stopped, which found that it was just duty rumour.

One of the things that started the rumour was the stereotypical image of the Argentines.
    They're not all swarthy, Zapata-moustached banditos with bandoliers of link across the chest yelling "Badgees ? We don't got to show you no steekning badgees !"
    There are some that are blond haired, blue-eyed types, (post 1945 perhaps ?) that just don't fit Joe Public's idea of the dago invaders.

Due to the fact that they have television programmes from their nearest 'English'-speaking neighbours, and many schoolteachers have travelled to the US for leave or study, the general standard of 'English' has a distinct septic leaning.

Coupled with that, their SF types, (601 and 602,) had trained with the spams, and like most SF units have more leeway in their dress, wpns and personal eqpt than a normal cabo.

14. Isn't there a Welsh link? (No, not missing, Welsh!)

And they trained with RM. Apparantly, when the M & AW Cadre caught them in a house (Top Malo?), they only had one guard stagging on, the rest were gonking.

15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

That's some serious trg !

The 'lesson learnt' for making a ccok of things is a sucking chest wound !

:lol: