New execution date set for Briton

Could someone please help explain how the two tier court system works in Pakistan, I am a tad confused.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/5202006.stm

Do you have to be a muslim to be tried by an Islamic court? or does it only have to be the victim?

If the countries legal sytem quashes the conviction how can a religious court say different? It completely devalues the countries proper legal system surely. Thats the last time I go on holiday to a muslim country if there is a chance you can get innocently caught out.

Hescoheed said:
Could someone please help explain how the two tier court system works in Pakistan, I am a tad confused.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/5202006.stm

Do you have to be a muslim to be tried by an Islamic court? or does it only have to be the victim?

If the countries legal sytem quashes the conviction how can a religious court say different? It completely devalues the countries proper legal system surely. Thats the last time I go on holiday to a muslim country if there is a chance you can get innocently caught out.
Sharia law (religious) law is paramount under the Pakistani constitution so even if the a secular court says the man is not guilty
that verdict is held to be null and void, if an Islamic court (which can bring whoever it wants to court) rules otherwise.
However saying that in practice religious minorities tend to be tried under the secular system.
The burden of proof and validity of evidence is also much less (imho) than in the secular system.

And a former TA soldier to boot.

In December 1988 Mirza Tahir Hussain was only 18 years old and had travelled to Pakistan to merely visit family. On his journey towards Rawalpindi in the evening, where he took a taxi to his village Bhubar, Chakwal district, the driver stopped the taxi and attempted to physically and sexually assault Mirza. The driver took out a pistol and during the altercation that was provoked by the taxi driver the pistol went off and hit the driver who ultimately died of his wounds. Mirza, a former TA soldier from Headingley, used his honesty and integrity and drove the taxi to the nearest police station and handed in the pistol. His sincerity unfortunately resulted in his arrest, trial and conviction for murder.
http://www.muslimparliament.org.uk/MirzaTahirHussain.html

Just a moment, though. He was 18 and a former TA soldier? edited: cancel query, he was still serving at the time.

Thanks for that. Sounds as though the Islamic court system is fairly medieval in its structure. I'm so glad I reside in a decent country, but then again our legal sytem can be a bit of a lottery sometimes, but at least they won't hang you anymore even if the conviction is questionable.

Cheers Castlereagh

Court cases so far:
1989 Lahore High Court - found guilty of murder, sentenced to death.
1992 Appeal Court - found discrepancies and quashed the death sentence.
1994 Retrial - found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment.
1996 Appeal Court - quashed conviction.
1996 Federal Sharia Court (a week later) - found guilty of robbery, sentenced to death.
2003 Pakistani Supreme Court - reviewed case, upheld death penalty.
2004 Pakistani Supreme Court - reviewed case, upheld death penalty.

2006 Family of dead taxi driver refuse an offer of £18,000 to revoke the death penalty.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
How about a bit of support for the poor bloke? He is a serving TA member (although his attendance has probably been poor recently) and, I fear, if he had been in prison anywhere other than in Pakistan he would have been far more of a cause celebre.

If we are talking about sending Christmas boxes to troops on Ops, how about something for him? Not a Christmas box, obviously, though.

Can we get another ARRSE collection going, as we have done on previous occasions? He's a British Soldier, rotting in a craphole, and deserves the support of his Comrades. A few bob for some home comforts may mean a lot to hm - perhaps via his family, as I understnad his Brother is still serving?

Looking at the date of the original post it looks like the time of execution has passed.

Mirza Tahir to be executed on Nov 1
Thursday October 19, 2006 (0130 PST)

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani origin British national Mirza Tahir Hussain on death row would be executed on November 1st at Adiala Jail.
Mirza Tahir, a British national has been in detention for last 18 years in Adiala Jail for killing a Rawalpindi Taxi driver. His execution has been stayed thrice on the orders of President Musharraf.

According to jail authorities Mirza Tahir a petition was filed with the concerned session judge in the first week of October for giving fresh dates for the execution as the third stay order against the execution expired on October 1st. The judge fixed the new date of execution at November 1st,

The jail authorities told BBC Urdu that the family of Mirza Tahir has been apprised of the new dates for execution.

According to jail authorities Mirza Tahir would be executed on November 1st 6:30 am.

British High Commission officials in Islamabad have said that they are taking very measures to stay the execution and in a few days a petition for stay order would be filed in the court.
Come on guys, he's one of ours.

minister_doh_nut said:
Looking at the date of the original post it looks like the time of execution has passed.
I don't think he has been killed yet. letters to mp's?

count me in for a donation of some kind if we can figure out where to put our money.

quite shocked that this hasn't recieved more publicity, mods please sticky this one as time is obviously running out for this bloke and something needs to be done yesterday.

OldSnowy said:
How about a bit of support for the poor bloke?
I quite agree - regardless of his dubious guilt, his treatment has been appalling.

OldSnowy said:
Can we get another ARRSE collection going, as we have done on previous occasions? He's a British Soldier, rotting in a craphole, and deserves the support of his Comrades. A few bob for some home comforts may mean a lot to hm - perhaps via his family, as I understnad his Brother is still serving?
Quite right - we can't cherry pick our favourite cases of distress. He is a comrade and would appear to deserve better. Letters to MPs, sticky thread please mods and can anyone find a fighting fund online? Amnesty perhaps?

minister_doh_nut said:
He got a new date for execution. I think it was more about political expediency, as a certain Royal was due to visit Pakistan whilst the poor guy was due to be executed.

I do not think much of a system that will revoke the death penalty if the 'blood money' (aka compensation) is high enough! The idea of a two-tier system is bad enough. Islamic Sharia Law is supposed to be fair.......

I do not object to a death penalty as such, but in this case it seems that the eliment of doubt is very high, and on the face of it 'Self Defence' That is if we are hearing the true story?

He is sentanced to death under Sharia law for the lesser crime of THEFT of a Taxi, not Murder

Nothing to do with Charlies visit - Sentance cannot carried out during Ramadan which is 24th Sept. – 23rd Oct

It is set to be 1st of November I beleave? This man has already spent 18 years in a Pakistain Prison.... No wonder people cannot remember the case!

Email sent to my MP.

Please people do the same, it takes not much more effort than writing R.I.P in a condolance thread after they execute the poor sod.

Apparently postponed for another two months (January 2007) Get those letters to your MP & Pakistan Embassy in the post ASAP. I did mine this afternoon.