New excuse, I mean reason, for a fire strike?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by theoriginalphantom, May 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. from the BBC

clickity click

Does a lesbian black firefighter get 4 votes? one for being a firefighter, and three extra votes for being in three minority groups.
    Is anyone free from tour to cover another strike by firefighters?

edited to add link

2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Yes basically.

That is the crux of the matter, the people putting this forward are basically saying one of 2 things must be correct:

Either

1. We are racist and sexist and therefore these minorities need support from a seperate member of the executive.

or

2. We are a progressive bunch of people, and not sexist or racist, and therefore they don't need to have this extra layer of protection.

But you can't have both and be fair to everyone. The other alternative is to have some new members on the executive...one each for White, Heterosexual and Male respectively.

S_R

3. Or actually a third thing might be true: "We are a bunch of eejits who couldn't see that allowing politicized individuals to run our union would result in a politicized clique managing it, with focus diverted from legitimate union concerns to minority "issues" and a commensurate loss of our reputation and influence in the country at large"

Of course, that might be true even if one of S_R's hypotheses were true also!

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Unfortunately, the FBU has ceased to be a representative body for the men (and women) that fight fires and save lives. It has become a talking shop/gay rights movement that represents gay men and women, minorities and coincidentally is allowed to wear Village People uniforms.

It's a grand gesture, but not in keeping with the original ethos of the Fire Service.

I would suggest disbanding it and starting again.

5. No doubt it will provide yet another excuse for militant action by firefighters.
    I do not and never will have any respect for any of the striking militant b@stards.
    Our time could have been better spent preparing for war than having to do the greedy b@stards work for them while they continued moonlighting in their second jobs. :evil:

6. Just do what your paid to do and put fcuking fires out.

7. without knowing 'all' the facts, too bloody right the three groups should be rejiggered and given an advisory role.

Echoing sentiments expressed above here, but its going the way of everything else in this country and focussing on the minority issues while perhaps overlooking the issues the union is there to sort...

8. Come on!!
    When you were younger what did you want to be? A fireman, Police, a soldier?. If you joined up in the last few years you can stop moaning as you have been able fulfil all three roles, all while serving Queen and country!

I myself would love to have a go at someone elses job for a week or two. It would make me appreciate their lot to a greater degree, and enhance my perception of them and the pivotal service they provide to the community at large.

Now as soon as I see some FBU members stagging on in Basra or the 'stan armed with enfield rifles, then coming back and working in their primary jobs with no holiday. Then I'm afraid they are going to have a very hard time convincing me that they are nothing more than a shower of militant B@st@rds!

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The FBU/Fire Service has been taken over by the hard left who see it as an easy place to do their thing. The behaviour and practices of the FBU bring the whole service into disrepute and would (where it not so disgraceful and pathetic) make it the laughing stock of the country.

The shame of it is that whilst these cretins in the Fire Service allow this to go on unchallenged, the ensuing strikes cost lives.

Considering that this is a publicly funded service, they should be brought to account and the gummint should take measures to have the so-called union shut down and replaced with something that is a-political and there to serve it's members in the proper manner. Better still, put it into law that the fire service cannot have union representation, just like the Armed Forces.

10. This I did on one of the last strikes. What it did was show me how little they do do.

11. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1Bn_BBYDF wrote:
    Come on!!
    When you were younger what did you want to be? A fireman, Police, a soldier?. If you joined up in the last few years you can stop moaning as you have been able fulfil all three roles, all while serving Queen and country!
    [/quote]
    I myself would love to have a go at someone elses job for a week or two. It would make me appreciate their lot to a greater degree, and enhance my perception of them and the pivotal service they provide to the community at large.

Now as soon as I see some FBU members stagging on in Basra or the 'stan armed with enfield rifles, then coming back and working in their primary jobs with no holiday. Then I'm afraid they are going to have a very hard time convincing me that they are nothing more than a shower of militant B@st@rds!

This I did on one of the last strikes. What it did was show me how little they do do.

My Point exactly!

12. I did it on the first strike'and the only reason the tossers went back to work is because we were getting to good at it,2 days training at Portsmouth and 25 year old green goddesses and we were doing a better job,sack them all and start again with people who want to do it,not self important tosser's who seem to think they are hard done by

13. I'm a copper. worked one week of twleve hour shifts in the last strike with some great RGJ and navy types. Got 3 call outs. made me realise how little they do (and one was a false alarm by the way). I lost all respect for them in that little time i did thier job for them due to thier greed and felt so sorry for the forces lads and lasses getting fcuked about due to them.

FCUK EM! thats what i say.

14. The FBU = A left wing joke.

As for the comment "Now as soon as I see some FBU members stagging on in Basra or the 'stan armed with enfield rifles, then coming back and working in their primary jobs with no holiday. Then I'm afraid they are going to have a very hard time convincing me that they are nothing more than a shower of militant B@st@rds! "

Thats a whoppsie, I work with 3 who have been to Basra and 2 who have been to the 'Stan. And I am sure that there are more that have done both.
    I hear and to an extent agree with your feeling but you should get your facts correct before you start to chunder complete rubbish like that. Firefighters who are in the TA get mobilised just like every other stab.

15. Do you have to be in the union?,if the fire brigade was a bad job there wouldn't be loads of people applying for every vacancy that came up,You have lost the sympathy and surpport of the people you are supposed to protect