New excuse, I mean reason, for a fire strike?

#1
from the BBC

clickity click
Fire union row on minority rights
A row is brewing in the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) over voting rights held by black, gay and women representatives on its executive committee

Supporters of the motion deny it is racist, homophobic or sexist.

They say firefighters in the three groups represent a small proportion of the total membership.

They say that, despite this, these groups hold the balance of power on the executive.

Supporters of the motion say, for example, that a gay firefighter can register a vote twice - first, through their regional official on the executive and then again with a gay representative on the executive.

Does a lesbian black firefighter get 4 votes? one for being a firefighter, and three extra votes for being in three minority groups.
Is anyone free from tour to cover another strike by firefighters?

edited to add link
 
#2
theoriginalphantom said:
Does a lesbian black firefighter get 4 votes? one for being a firefighter, and three extra votes for being in three minority groups.
Yes basically.

That is the crux of the matter, the people putting this forward are basically saying one of 2 things must be correct:

Either

1. We are racist and sexist and therefore these minorities need support from a seperate member of the executive.

or

2. We are a progressive bunch of people, and not sexist or racist, and therefore they don't need to have this extra layer of protection.

But you can't have both and be fair to everyone. The other alternative is to have some new members on the executive...one each for White, Heterosexual and Male respectively.

S_R
 
#3
Or actually a third thing might be true: "We are a bunch of eejits who couldn't see that allowing politicized individuals to run our union would result in a politicized clique managing it, with focus diverted from legitimate union concerns to minority "issues" and a commensurate loss of our reputation and influence in the country at large"

Of course, that might be true even if one of S_R's hypotheses were true also!
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#4
Unfortunately, the FBU has ceased to be a representative body for the men (and women) that fight fires and save lives. It has become a talking shop/gay rights movement that represents gay men and women, minorities and coincidentally is allowed to wear Village People uniforms.

It's a grand gesture, but not in keeping with the original ethos of the Fire Service.

I would suggest disbanding it and starting again.
 
#5
No doubt it will provide yet another excuse for militant action by firefighters.
I do not and never will have any respect for any of the striking militant b@stards.
Our time could have been better spent preparing for war than having to do the greedy b@stards work for them while they continued moonlighting in their second jobs. :evil:
 
#7
without knowing 'all' the facts, too bloody right the three groups should be rejiggered and given an advisory role.

Echoing sentiments expressed above here, but its going the way of everything else in this country and focussing on the minority issues while perhaps overlooking the issues the union is there to sort...
 
#8
Come on!!
When you were younger what did you want to be? A fireman, Police, a soldier?. If you joined up in the last few years you can stop moaning as you have been able fulfil all three roles, all while serving Queen and country!

I myself would love to have a go at someone elses job for a week or two. It would make me appreciate their lot to a greater degree, and enhance my perception of them and the pivotal service they provide to the community at large.

Now as soon as I see some FBU members stagging on in Basra or the 'stan armed with enfield rifles, then coming back and working in their primary jobs with no holiday. Then I'm afraid they are going to have a very hard time convincing me that they are nothing more than a shower of militant B@st@rds!
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#9
The FBU/Fire Service has been taken over by the hard left who see it as an easy place to do their thing. The behaviour and practices of the FBU bring the whole service into disrepute and would (where it not so disgraceful and pathetic) make it the laughing stock of the country.

The shame of it is that whilst these cretins in the Fire Service allow this to go on unchallenged, the ensuing strikes cost lives.

Considering that this is a publicly funded service, they should be brought to account and the gummint should take measures to have the so-called union shut down and replaced with something that is a-political and there to serve it's members in the proper manner. Better still, put it into law that the fire service cannot have union representation, just like the Armed Forces.
 
#10
1Bn_BBYDF said:
Come on!!
When you were younger what did you want to be? A fireman, Police, a soldier?. If you joined up in the last few years you can stop moaning as you have been able fulfil all three roles, all while serving Queen and country!

I myself would love to have a go at someone elses job for a week or two. It would make me appreciate their lot to a greater degree, and enhance my perception of them and the pivotal service they provide to the community at large.

Now as soon as I see some FBU members stagging on in Basra or the 'stan armed with enfield rifles, then coming back and working in their primary jobs with no holiday. Then I'm afraid they are going to have a very hard time convincing me that they are nothing more than a shower of militant B@st@rds!
This I did on one of the last strikes. What it did was show me how little they do do.
 
#11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1Bn_BBYDF wrote:
Come on!!
When you were younger what did you want to be? A fireman, Police, a soldier?. If you joined up in the last few years you can stop moaning as you have been able fulfil all three roles, all while serving Queen and country!
[/quote]
I myself would love to have a go at someone elses job for a week or two. It would make me appreciate their lot to a greater degree, and enhance my perception of them and the pivotal service they provide to the community at large.

Now as soon as I see some FBU members stagging on in Basra or the 'stan armed with enfield rifles, then coming back and working in their primary jobs with no holiday. Then I'm afraid they are going to have a very hard time convincing me that they are nothing more than a shower of militant B@st@rds!

This I did on one of the last strikes. What it did was show me how little they do do.

My Point exactly!
 
#12
I did it on the first strike'and the only reason the tossers went back to work is because we were getting to good at it,2 days training at Portsmouth and 25 year old green goddesses and we were doing a better job,sack them all and start again with people who want to do it,not self important tosser's who seem to think they are hard done by
 
#13
I'm a copper. worked one week of twleve hour shifts in the last strike with some great RGJ and navy types. Got 3 call outs. made me realise how little they do (and one was a false alarm by the way). I lost all respect for them in that little time i did thier job for them due to thier greed and felt so sorry for the forces lads and lasses getting fcuked about due to them.

FCUK EM! thats what i say.
 
#14
The FBU = A left wing joke.

As for the comment "Now as soon as I see some FBU members stagging on in Basra or the 'stan armed with enfield rifles, then coming back and working in their primary jobs with no holiday. Then I'm afraid they are going to have a very hard time convincing me that they are nothing more than a shower of militant B@st@rds! "

Thats a whoppsie, I work with 3 who have been to Basra and 2 who have been to the 'Stan. And I am sure that there are more that have done both.
I hear and to an extent agree with your feeling but you should get your facts correct before you start to chunder complete rubbish like that. Firefighters who are in the TA get mobilised just like every other stab.
 
#15
Do you have to be in the union?,if the fire brigade was a bad job there wouldn't be loads of people applying for every vacancy that came up,You have lost the sympathy and surpport of the people you are supposed to protect
 
#16
Carlos_Hathcock_II said:
The FBU = A left wing joke.

As for the comment "Now as soon as I see some FBU members stagging on in Basra or the 'stan armed with enfield rifles, then coming back and working in their primary jobs with no holiday. Then I'm afraid they are going to have a very hard time convincing me that they are nothing more than a shower of militant B@st@rds! "

Thats a whoppsie, I work with 3 who have been to Basra and 2 who have been to the 'Stan. And I am sure that there are more that have done both.
I hear and to an extent agree with your feeling but you should get your facts correct before you start to chunder complete rubbish like that. Firefighters who are in the TA get mobilised just like every other stab.
They weren't stagging on as firefighters then were they....they were stagging on as soldiers which is a different matter unless of course they were deployed as firefighters? I think you knew that though mate but well done you for getting in your rather insignificant point about the TA also being deployable, worthwhile, great etc etc.... :roll:

....and who the fcuk is stan? :roll:



theoriginalphantom said:
from the BBC

clickity click
Fire union row on minority rights
A row is brewing in the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) over voting rights held by black, gay and women representatives on its executive committee

Supporters of the motion deny it is racist, homophobic or sexist.

They say firefighters in the three groups represent a small proportion of the total membership.

They say that, despite this, these groups hold the balance of power on the executive.

Supporters of the motion say, for example, that a gay firefighter can register a vote twice - first, through their regional official on the executive and then again with a gay representative on the executive.

Does a lesbian black firefighter get 4 votes? one for being a firefighter, and three extra votes for being in three minority groups.
Is anyone free from tour to cover another strike by firefighters?

edited to add link
The gay, women and black representatives are no doubt there to ensure that being a woman, being black or being gay is not an issue within the FBU.

Surely their appointment in the first place is making an issue of it? Mag to gridding them and their voting rights would, I suggest, send out more of a message of equality than their current and clearly bollocks system.
 
#17
The title of this thread is a little misleading. Even though the FBU, along with the Prison Officers Association, is one of the last unreconstructed unions in the country, it would be hard pressed to justify a strike against its own policies.

Oh, and just to answer a question on page 1 - no-one has to join the FBU.
 
#18
MM wondered when our suposed exploits would hit the threads and glad to see that none of the hostility has gone away, and if I could be bothered I would remind you that when covering on OPFRESCO you didn't even cover a third of the jobs carried out by the striking crews.
 
#19
The question I have, is it the firefighters who think this or just the FBU. They seem to be the problem, thus can someone go and give them a kicking, then disband the FBU and let the firefighters to do some real work. Most that I have talked to want to do the work, but feel they have to follow the union becuase it has become a union led organisation. Bin the union and thus get rid of the problem.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#20
fireboy said:
MM wondered when our suposed exploits would hit the threads and glad to see that none of the hostility has gone away, and if I could be bothered I would remind you that when covering on OPFRESCO you didn't even cover a third of the jobs carried out by the striking crews.
How much does a firefighter earn per week? How often is he actually fighting fires? Let's face it, it's not exactly if you fcukers are hard done by is it?

What's up with striking firefighters? If the army didn't step in and run around with green goddesses, how many people would these overpaid bods allow to die to make their point?

Aren't you the lucky ones that the army doesn't go on strike! Bavarian tea anyone?
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads