New engine for Defender

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by RCT(V), Aug 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems the “old-girl” is to get yet another, new, different, engine . . .

Although the above is not very specific, it does seem the current Ford Transit 2.4-litre diesel engine (used in the ubiquitous "Pikey-wagon"), is being discontinued by Land-Rover.

Understood to be (now) produced at Ford’s engine-only-manufacturing plant at Dagenham, the only “2.2-litre unit that is Euro 5 compliant”, that is used by Ford, and which Ford already supplies to Jaguar-Land-Rover (JLR), is the 2.2-litre unit designed, manufactured, and used by Peugeot-Citroen.

Until the recently announced installation in the rear-wheel-drive (RWD) Jaguar XF 2.2-litre, the Peugeot-Citroen unit has/had only ever been employed in a “transverse” configuration.

All the work done to turn the 2.2-litre Peugeot-Citroen unit through 90 degrees - relocation of ancillaries, new manifolds, etc., - for “north-south” installation in the rear-wheel-drive (RWD) Jaguar XF, will have been of benefit in fitting the 2.2-litre Peugeot-Citroen under the bonnet of the Defender.

Note: As of this morning Land-Rover’s own web-site, still mentions the Ford Transit 2.4-litre diesel engine !!

Explore the Land Rover Defender Hard Top | Land Rover UK

Attached Files:

2. But will they be offering a petrol engine in the future?
  3. bio fuel?

I'll be watching this with interest (i may beon the market for a landy soon). Interesting to see where the old design goes next.
  4. Soon they'll have a 1.4l engine. Land rover really ought to put a decent sized lump inside.
  5. Getting rid of the TDCi is a good start, its a truely shite engine.
    Defender's really ought to have soimething arounf 3 litre though
  6. Must have been 20 years ago Toyota were using 4l engines. A choice of engines would be nice and shifting that handbrake. Fit and finish is rubbish and they aren't cheap.
  7. Got a total of just over 417.000 miles on our 4l.
    Rolling over to 400.000 in the Mohave Desert:
    Only replace one water pump in that time, and way before it was due.
  8. My 80 series has 140 k miles on it ..... not even run in yet.... can think of no other vehicle to replace it with so will keep it for a good while yet ..... my Defender at 150 K was getting very tired .....
    Now a Toyota 4.2 TD in a 110 ..... that could be good ;-)
  9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I dont understand the need for a bigger lump other than fuel efficiency. Theres guys stick a V8 in so you can do 80mph and 0-60 in seconds. Whoop de doo, until you need to do an emergency stop or an unexpected corner in the wet. Then its going to slide where it wants, especially if you are running on Grabber type tyres. The 2.5TDI will pull a house down and personally I dont want to be in a Defender doing more than 60mph.
  10. Its not about CC....or speed but about torque ... my Landcruiser will pull 5th gear on a slight upwards incline from 1500 rpm .... the 4.2 TD produces about twice the torque of the 300 TDi , as an off road engine it is awsome .. just put your footdown in any gear and it will lug away , no need to get anywhere near 3000rpm and max power but it is nice to have 200 hp should the need arise , the V8 90's were fantastic vehicles not because they had a big V8 but because they had a torquey V8.
    Put a 4.2 Landcruiser engine and transmision/axles (three proper diff locks as standard )under a 110 and you would have an unstoppable off and on road tow vehicle and pickup .... The Landcruiser 80 is just too big for greenlaneing and is not a pickup .... yes you could import a 75 series LC from Aus but I reckon the 110 would be more fun
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Sorry, but you are talking speed. My 2.5 TDI will pull up any old incline. If it is very steep I will bang it into low ratio, stick a brick on the throttle and climb alongside it smoking a fag. Pulling in 5th at 1500rpm is what one does in a road car.

Unless pulling in 5th is prison slang?
    • Like Like x 1