New Defence Secretary visits Headley Court

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by dingerr, May 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dr Liam Fox today visited Headley Court.

I thought it was very good him seeing the injuries sustained. Hopefully this will be in his mind when he has to make decisions with regard to defence spending.

I would have liked to talk to him with regards to the AFCS. I still dont think that £570,000 as a top level pay out is adequate considering some of the injuries sustained.

2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Good starting point for him...see the possible consequences of his actions before he acts.

S_R

3. I don't see how he could possibly get them OUT of his mind. After watching a documentary not too long back, I can't!

4. I think you'll find he will get a few reminders from all sorts of interested parties Dingerr; don't worry, he won't be able to let it slip his mind.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Political motivations or not, that is a very astute first move for an SoS (D) to make. In many respects I hope that this doesn't get published, as it might be deemed to be making mileage out of Headley.

Given his oft quoted lines about the experiments with pigs and GSWs to examine the effect, I can't see him not being aware of the consequences of combat; but first hand knowledge is always beneficial.

As for the AFCS limits, quite frankly they are criminally low. Has anyone tested them against ECHR standards yet?

6. Dingerr,

Do you know if he brought a media circus along, or was it a low key visit?

As for the AFCS, good to see you looking out for No. 1.

7. Visit was pretty low key, which adds credibilty to it, showing it not just to be a spin exercise. Lets see if it gets reported in the media.

8. Hopefully this is demonstrably the end of the spin / media circus that has dominated politics for the past 13 years and that Fox forces the Government make responsible decisions about Defence funding and the Military Covenant. A good start, I hope.

PS Dingerr, I'm glad to see you're not being deprived of ARRSE time!

9. I have it on exceptionally good authority that a lot of the seniors from both sides have done low key visits in the past without feeling the need to publicise the event. While it is extremely laudable of SofS to visit, please don't assume that he is the first Minister or senior political figure to do so.

10. You know what - the man did a good thing, I doubt he wants credit or political points and as for the rest, well can we just leave it??

11. Yes! I get plenty of arrse.

12. I don't believe Dr. Fox to be much of a 'spinner', he is a realist, anchored firmly to this planet.

Whether he will succeed in acquiring the necessary proper funding for the MoD remains to be seen.

However, if any 'Arrser' thinks they are in for another dollop of the third rate twerps served up to the MoD by the Labour Government, I recommend that they think again.

Dr. Fox may be Scottish, but he is not of the 'glowering', 'well balanced chip on each shoulder', 'class warfare expert', bunch of thugs associated with and infesting the late and unlamented failed Labour Government.

13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Whilst I agree with you about M. le Reynard, I also have two words for you:

John Nott!!!!!!!!

14. A very, I repeat, a very apposite post - grrrrrr! :x

Sadly, I am not able to argue Nott's position relating to 'defence'.

I have read his books but I still do not understand the man. I have met him a few times and he always came over as somewhat disinterested in matters or people not intimately involved in his 'world'. There are some who 'worship' him and I have met some who think he is, was, a perfect 'snob' and political lightweight.

I think that he, Nott, genuinely found it difficult to deal with 'ordinary' people. Simply, he lives on a different plane.

Le bon docteur Reynard is neither 'disinterested' nor a 'snob'. I believe it is likely that one may find Dr. Fox in the WOs' & Sergeants' Mess, in the NAAFI, in the CO's house, in the bowling alley, in the trenches and sangars even.

If I am proven to be wrong, I shall post acknowledgement and say 'oops'!

15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

A few years ago before he was a shadow minister Mrs Baldy attended a course where Dr Fox was an instructor, with his GP hat on. She says she found him a thoroughly decent bloke, even when he accused her of being a politician when she answered his question with a question. :D