New Danish Fitness Tests: 2 mile run?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jun 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just having a gander at a draft of a new set of fitness tests which are to be introduced in the Danish forces on the basis of experience in Afghanistan, and was somewhat surprised to see that troops who are to be deployed with UK units will have to (amongst other things) do a 2 mile run test.

Obviously living in Denmark as I do, I'm a bit out of the loop as regards to current goings on in the British Army, but even so I don't think I've heard anything about a 2 mile PFT. Unless of course they are counting the warm-up?

Any ideas?

Cheers
    T_T

2. Nope not heard of it here either. There is the mile and a half in kit (ACFT) in 15 minutes though. Although I have heard people discussing the infantry 2 miler.

3. PFt is two miles. 1/2 mile warm up, 1 1/2 mile best effort... technically it is all a test, as if you drop behind on the warm up you are failed too.

Could be that. Or a full 2 mile run... maybe with (at at a guess) 12 or 13 mins to run it in... (tops).

4. What's the current pass time? Is it still 10:30?

Looks like it's a bit of an 'in-betweener' 2 miles at a 10:30 1 1/2 mile pace gives 14 minutes, and according to the draft our pass time will be 14:50. Mind you, they're dropping the age and sex compensation thingy, so everyone will have to pass at the same level! :)

5. 10:30 if 29 or under for a male. I've always thought that the added time given to females/ the aged actually hinders them when they are given other tests where there is a single standard.

6. Quiet or you'll have Stacker turn up and have a rant!

7. What do you all think of the idea of scrapping age/sex compensated/graded fitness tests? Is this the way forward, or an unnecessary step?

8. This sounds like one of the new Operational Fitness Tests; off the top of my head, OFT 2? 25kg, 18 minutes to do two miles.

Was doing OFT month or two back; 30kg, weapon and wearing ECBA and helmet. 4 miles at 17 minutes per mile pace, then last mile in ?11.30-12.00 minutes. Was legging it for the last mile and realised my peripheral vision was going, along with my colour perception. Both returned as soon as I realised my ECBA was too tight, and I loosened it.

9. No, that's a separate part of the test. 2x 2km loaded march, with some assault course stuff in the middle.

10. Too late

Too right they should be scrapped. Although I think PFT should also be scrapped and something more practical put in its place.

11. Been a few Danes going through Brecon lately. Might have brought a few souvenirs back!

12. Seems odd that EuroDanes should be doing a 2 miler, thought the metric system was more their thing?
    Followed the link to the USMC CFT and I was shocked. I thought the USMC fitness test was 60 press ups in 2 mins, 75 sit ups in 2 mins, 16 pull ups, untimed, and 40 burpees in 2 minutes, followed by a 1.5 mile sprint- (7mins?) Do the Big Assed Marines (girls) get paid less for doing less?

13. Str8Bloke, yes most things are metric, including our current 3km PFT run. The 2 miler was only for troops deploying with Brits, which I thought somewhat odd myself.