New Danish Fitness Tests: 2 mile run?

Just having a gander at a draft of a new set of fitness tests which are to be introduced in the Danish forces on the basis of experience in Afghanistan, and was somewhat surprised to see that troops who are to be deployed with UK units will have to (amongst other things) do a 2 mile run test.

Obviously living in Denmark as I do, I'm a bit out of the loop as regards to current goings on in the British Army, but even so I don't think I've heard anything about a 2 mile PFT. Unless of course they are counting the warm-up?

Any ideas?

Cheers
T_T

Just having a gander at a draft of a new set of fitness tests which are to be introduced in the Danish forces on the basis of experience in Afghanistan, and was somewhat surprised to see that troops who are to be deployed with UK units will have to (amongst other things) do a 2 mile run test.

Obviously living in Denmark as I do, I'm a bit out of the loop as regards to current goings on in the British Army, but even so I don't think I've heard anything about a 2 mile PFT. Unless of course they are counting the warm-up?

Any ideas?

Cheers
T_T
Nope not heard of it here either. There is the mile and a half in kit (ACFT) in 15 minutes though. Although I have heard people discussing the infantry 2 miler.

PFt is two miles. 1/2 mile warm up, 1 1/2 mile best effort... technically it is all a test, as if you drop behind on the warm up you are failed too.

Could be that. Or a full 2 mile run... maybe with (at at a guess) 12 or 13 mins to run it in... (tops).

What's the current pass time? Is it still 10:30?

Looks like it's a bit of an 'in-betweener' 2 miles at a 10:30 1 1/2 mile pace gives 14 minutes, and according to the draft our pass time will be 14:50. Mind you, they're dropping the age and sex compensation thingy, so everyone will have to pass at the same level! :)

What's the current pass time? Is it still 10:30?

Looks like it's a bit of an 'in-betweener' 2 miles at a 10:30 1 1/2 mile pace gives 14 minutes, and according to the draft our pass time will be 14:50. Mind you, they're dropping the age and sex compensation thingy, so everyone will have to pass at the same level! :)
10:30 if 29 or under for a male. I've always thought that the added time given to females/ the aged actually hinders them when they are given other tests where there is a single standard.

10:30 if 29 or under for a male. I've always thought that the added time given to females/ the aged actually hinders them when they are given other tests where there is a single standard.
Quiet or you'll have Stacker turn up and have a rant!

What do you all think of the idea of scrapping age/sex compensated/graded fitness tests? Is this the way forward, or an unnecessary step?

This sounds like one of the new Operational Fitness Tests; off the top of my head, OFT 2? 25kg, 18 minutes to do two miles.

Was doing OFT month or two back; 30kg, weapon and wearing ECBA and helmet. 4 miles at 17 minutes per mile pace, then last mile in ?11.30-12.00 minutes. Was legging it for the last mile and realised my peripheral vision was going, along with my colour perception. Both returned as soon as I realised my ECBA was too tight, and I loosened it.

No, that's a separate part of the test. 2x 2km loaded march, with some assault course stuff in the middle.

Quiet or you'll have Stacker turn up and have a rant!
Too late

What do you all think of the idea of scrapping age/sex compensated/graded fitness tests? Is this the way forward, or an unnecessary step?
Too right they should be scrapped. Although I think PFT should also be scrapped and something more practical put in its place.

Seems odd that EuroDanes should be doing a 2 miler, thought the metric system was more their thing?
Followed the link to the USMC CFT and I was shocked. I thought the USMC fitness test was 60 press ups in 2 mins, 75 sit ups in 2 mins, 16 pull ups, untimed, and 40 burpees in 2 minutes, followed by a 1.5 mile sprint- (7mins?) Do the Big Assed Marines (girls) get paid less for doing less?

Str8Bloke, yes most things are metric, including our current 3km PFT run. The 2 miler was only for troops deploying with Brits, which I thought somewhat odd myself.

Too right they should be scrapped. Although I think PFT should also be scrapped and something more practical put in its place.
The big clue as to what is actually being tested is in the bit the pTI reads out just before each test. Before the run doe they say 'now we're going to see how fast you can run'? or 'this test is a test of your cardio vascular cababilty'?

The big clue as to what is actually being tested is in the bit the pTI reads out just before each test. Before the run doe they say 'now we're going to see how fast you can run'? or 'this test is a test of your cardio vascular cababilty'?
The big clue is its not very accurate. Some females are better than males, some males are better than other males, some females are better than other females. So why grade it by sex? The same goes for age. Its not much use being able to do press ups/sit ups/run in pt kit, if you can't lift a certain weight or drag a body a certain distance, what is more practical for soldiers?

Recently a thirteen year old girl did 10km in under 45 minutes (At the Gutersloh half marathon) 4 back to back PFTs at an average of 11.15 each, all it means is that little girl is good a running (in some cases shaming people in the army) it doesnt mean she will be able to do military taskings. BUT (if thirteen years olds could join the army) she would fine fitness wise (Possibly until she did a CFT)

I guess the Danes have now acclimatised to being with the Brits, having had troops in combat under British command in Bos, Iraq and now Afghanistan for a total of nearly 15 years in the last 20. The most kinetic little nation on the face of the planet, I'm very proud (Farmand Glad and Mor Glad were both danskere).

The big clue is its not very accurate. Some females are better than males, some males are better than other males, some females are better than other females. So why grade it by sex? The same goes for age. Its not much use being able to do press ups/sit ups/run in pt kit, if you can't lift a certain weight or drag a body a certain distance, what is more practical for soldiers?

Recently a thirteen year old girl did 10km in under 45 minutes (At the Gutersloh half marathon) 4 back to back PFTs at an average of 11.15 each, all it means is that little girl is good a running (in some cases shaming people in the army) it doesnt mean she will be able to do military taskings. BUT (if thirteen years olds could join the army) she would fine fitness wise (Possibly until she did a CFT)
The run is weighted by both age and sex so that the correct level of CV fitness can be gauged. A woman with a high CV fitness is likely to do better than a bloke. It just means she has a higher level of CV fitness.

Like wise the press ups and sits up measure upperbody and abdominal strength. They are not an actual military task but serve to guage fitness.

Your postergirl, would not get to do a PFT in isolation, as you should be aware, the selection process to join the army isn't just a pft is it? She would be required to demonstrate lifting and carrying capabilities. Both at selection and during phase 1.

So your fear of a 13 year old marathon runner joining the army, and overtaking you on a PFT is unfounded.