NEW: Daily & Sunday Politics plus PMQs

Switched on Politics Live because of May's 'my way or the highway' in the news. Just as well because we have some interesting guests today.

James Cleverly (Conservative)
Stella Creasy (Labour) (Wants another referendum)
Miranda Green
Peter Hitchens

Missed a few minutes.

Jo presenting a warm front this morning ;-p

Brexit. On balance Chequers as popular as a fart in a spacesuit, with leavers, remainers and EU.
Extending deadline would lead to more uncertainty. Lack of preparation.

Debate about Victor Orban and whether EU should intervene.

"Did Lib Dems compromise too much in power?" Lib Dem Ed Davey says Tories have moved far to the right. :rolleyes:Bollocks. He is surely trying to set a scenario of two extreme parties and the stable :shaking2: centrist Lib Dems. Miranda Green says they had become an anti Brexit party rather than a political party.

Peter Hitchens mentioned how willing the Conservatives were to give up what were regarded as right wing policies, giving more than the Lib Dems even asked for. He reckons Lib Dems and current Conservatives are both in the centre with a lot of similarities whereas there is no traditional Conservative party.

Grainne Maguire (Labour) arrived. (Wants another referendum)

"Is politics too serious"

Ruth Davidson has respect. It was mentioned that her only leadership aspiration was First Minister (Scotland).

Momentum - Should Labour back mandatory reselection. Creasy - nothing to see here.
Hitchens - it's a throwback to the 80's (Militant) Blairites will likely have to leave.

Last edited:
Debate about Victor Orban and whether EU should intervene.
More everyone moving goal posts as they sought to get a blue-on-blue on the subject. JC (Tory MP & Vice Chairman) was astute enough to stand his ground, while JC (Red Witch) refused to accept that anyone can disagree with her, even when they have facts on their side.

Constant feature was Stella Creasy interrupting everything (no control from Red Witch), although Peter Hitchens did point out that she can't say he is wrong when he hadn't yet made his answer.

I was contemplating switching to more of Daily Politics on Sky (10-10:30 m-f), but on viewing recorded edition they were just banging on about Election face-to-face shows being what everyone wants and needs.

TV set-piece driven elections have proved a total bore-fest, with the media salivating on them days in advance, around the shows, and long after. And the post-show interviews have been rubbish, mis-interpreting and/or mis-representing waht had happened ... or not.

TV set-piece driven elections have proved a total bore-fest, with the media salivating on them days in advance, around the shows, and long after. And the post-show interviews have been rubbish, mis-interpreting and/or mis-representing waht had happened ... or not.
Yes, awful. It gives "impartial" media the opportunity to control "the narrative". We don't need presidential style campaigns.

Interesting line up today with Andrew Neil leading.

Alistair Campbell, Claire Fox, Rachel Slyvester & JRM.

I'm liking Claire Fox more & Alistair is rather less vocal than his usual Twitter rants.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Interesting line up today with Andrew Neil leading.

Alistair Campbell, Claire Fox, Rachel Slyvester & JRM.

I'm liking Claire Fox more & Alistair is rather less vocal than his usual Twitter rants.

And there was I getting wound up because he wouldn't let JRM finsh even part of a sentence. Brillo didn't help, and even added his own interruptions .... sometimes even beating Rachel Sylvester (one of the red coven) to the punch.

JRM had three stopping him from answering any & every question.

Agree that CF was a level contributor, giving balanced opinion rather than twisting things to anti-Brexit like the others.

And there was I getting wound up because he wouldn't let JRM finsh even part of a sentence. Brillo didn't help, and even added his own interruptions .... sometimes even beating Rachel Sylvester (one of the red coven) to the punch.
I only switched on partway through but of the bit I saw it seemed as if 75-80% of the comments were either AC commenting in his own right or, far more frequently, AC talking over and butting in to JRM's comments. :mad:

JRM had three stopping him from answering any & every question.

Agree that CF was a level contributor, giving balanced opinion rather than twisting things to anti-Brexit like the others.
Admittingy Alastair was was quiet at the start of the programme then went into full rant mode as seen, even #politicslive live on Twitter made varies comments of him being an arrogant twunt.

Friday edition turned over to the Brexit Podcast team, a planned event but obviously given extra piquancy by the EU turning its back on TMPM in Salzburg.

Too much time on the internal banter, host plus four in studio, another in Salford, another in Salzburg, and LK hot-foot from plane at Stansted.

In studio for a while was Dominic Raab, who was calmness personified, and neatly avoided being steered to say things for BBC headline writers.

LK reckoned that Chequers proposals getting the cold shoulder meant a putative cabinet resignation over the weekend would not happen. She wouldn't give a name, and not clear she even 'knew' who it might have been. She also thought a PM statement might be forthcoming - a few mins later this was announced from no. 10 for 13:45.

Overall ... different, but a little up its own arrse. At least no JC, Toynbee, Alibi Brine, Owen Jones et al, so unusually balanced (by comparison)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well, the "new" Andrew Marr show brings nothing new to the box. I still don't see why time on a political show should be given to a facing actress plugging her show - Joanna Lumley. Nothing whatsoever to do with politics.

Two Remainers to discuss the papers - nothing new there for the Beeb.

Jeremy Corbyn, the headline e interview and what did we get? An anodyne interview which, when asked an awkward question was just answered that that was either a long time ago or JC just said "park that" issue - and he was allowed to! The BBC need to go out and hire some forensic political commentators and interviewers. Actually, I don't think they need to look for new ones, just allow the current ones on their books to have a go at these politicians. Apparently though, it is now BBC policy to give politicians a free run!

Well, the "new" Andrew Marr show brings nothing new to the box. I still don't see why time on a political show should be given to a facing actress plugging her show - Joanna Lumley. Nothing whatsoever to do with politics.

Two Remainers to discuss the papers - nothing new there for the Beeb.

Jeremy Corbyn, the headline e interview and what did we get? An anodyne interview which, when asked an awkward question was just answered that that was either a long time ago or JC just said "park that" issue - and he was allowed to! The BBC need to go out and hire some forensic political commentators and interviewers. Actually, I don't think they need to look for new ones, just allow the current ones on their books to have a go at these politicians. Apparently though, it is now BBC policy to give politicians a free run!
Has Jeremy actually been interviewed by Brillo in the recent past, or is that a scene we are unlikely to see ever again in this brave new world?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Has Jeremy actually been interviewed by Brillo in the recent past, or is that a scene we are unlikely to see ever again in this brave new world?
Hell will freeze over and McDonnell will convert to Tory before Brillo gets close to the Dear Leader.

Politics Live at the Labour conference. They are doing a survey on which woman should be the next party leader.Three candidates,Angela Rayner,Rebecca Long-Bailey and Col.Nugent.
I actually laffed out loud.

BBC seem quite comfortable there, other than the party discord over Brexit.
Yep,I thought that.
Labour leader survey reaches the momentum stand,manned(har har)by two black girls.
Q:which woman should be the next labour leader?
A: Dianne Abbott
Err...she is not a candidate.
Momentum girl makes it very clear that she is not happy that the three candidates are all white.
Edit.I didn't put that smiley face there.
Been watching a bit of the conference on BBC parliament.Pretty hard left stuff,is it Liverpool or Moscow?
Lots of use of the word'comrade'.

Last edited:
Yep,I thought that.
Labour leader survey reaches the momentum stand,manned(har har)by two black girls.
Q:which woman should be the next labour leader?
A: Dianne Abbott
Err...she is not a candidate.
Momentum girl makes it very clear that she is not happy that the three candidates are all white.
Edit.I didn't put that smiley face there.
Been watching a bit of the conference on BBC parliament.Pretty hard left stuff,is it Liverpool or Moscow?
Lots of use of the word'comrade'.
I have not been watching it other than seeing a few clips on other shows. Unusually, I had Victoria Derbyshire show on when a clip of Laura Smith called for a General Election or failing that overthrowing the government with a General Strike. Obviously her communist utopia will be a utopia for all except greedy capitalists.
One guest who opposed various Labour policies and who has never voted, liked that because it was rebelious...
Yeah, great fun, destroy the economy and make people dependent on hand outs funded by theft. A former Labour voter called out a proposed tax policy for what it is, theft. He called it student politics and mentioned Corbyn's baggage and beliefs which he still has.

overthrowing the government with a General Strike
In so doing she demonstrated a knowledge of the general strike of 1926 that consists solely of being aware that there was something called the General Strike and that it was in 1926. She seemed to think the world started in 2014, more or less.